21 Posts

Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens when a fortress defends alone in a province? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Will the player automatically lose the battle as he doesn't have a legion?

Can a fortress defend alone?
If so, how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a unit, it can defend. It will negate one hit and roll a 5, therefore killing an enemy legion. If you have battle enhancing heroes (Ramses, Nebuchadnezaar etc, (NOT Pericles)), the fortress can use their effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Kalaitzidis
Greece
Chania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The fortress scores one hit and cancels one of the opponent's hit. The fortress owner does not roll any dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nicholas M wrote:
It's a unit, it can defend. It will negate one hit and roll a 5, therefore killing an enemy legion. If you have battle enhancing heroes (Ramses, Nebuchadnezaar etc, (NOT Pericles)), the fortress can use their effect.

Interesting. I've always played it that since the Fortress is not actually rolling a die (it's just adding a 5 to the die roll, so does one automatic hit), that the heroes like Ramses and Nebuchadnezzar do not activate when a fortress is defending alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Hidious
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
hippibashr wrote:
Nicholas M wrote:

Interesting. I've always played it that since the Fortress is not actually rolling a die (it's just adding a 5 to the die roll, so does one automatic hit), that the heroes like Ramses and Nebuchadnezzar do not activate when a fortress is defending alone.

Ramses and Nebuchadnezzar both say you need to have at least one "unit". And unit is defined on the back page of the rules as including Fortresses. So yes they work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To benefit from heroes, u need to read the definitions index at the back
of the rulebook, e.g. Units - Triremes, Legions, Fortresses and other
special fighting forces

So depending on what the heroes ability is, they may or may not be able
to support a Fortress on it's own.

Some examples ... Neb & Ram would be OK and Pericles wouldn't as he only
supports Legions.

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mbmb
Can you destroy a fortress if it is alone in an area and two units attack and cause two hits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yes. The fortress only has 1 wound like every other unit, it just gets to negate one hit. So doing two hits would destroy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lawrence
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
We've been playing it differently. We interpreted the rules to mean that the fortress adds a die to the battle role. If you don't have any land units in the area, you don't have a battle role and thus have nothing to add the fortress die to.

Assuming that we played this wrong, does anyone else find fortresses to be incredibly powerful for their cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
We've been playing it differently. We interpreted the rules to mean that the fortress adds a die to the battle role. If you don't have any land units in the area, you don't have a battle role and thus have nothing to add the fortress die to.

Assuming that we played this wrong, does anyone else find fortresses to be incredibly powerful for their cost?

Not really. They do 1 damage and can effectively take 2.

When defending alone they will kill 1 legion and be destroyed. The gripe is that you need 3 (unbuffed non-Roman) legions to destroy a fortress - but in the end you still kill one/lose one. Which isn't all that powerful in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Fortresses are good units early in the game when your only goal is to protect a border against one or two (non Roman) legions with a good chance of survival. By the end of the game, they're merely a minor inconvenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
Teowulff wrote:
. The gripe is that you need 3 (unbuffed non-Roman) legions to destroy a fortress - but in the end you still kill one/lose one. Which isn't all that powerful in my opinion.

Unless you are really unlucky !! You can roll a triple 3 and be screwed big time ! This once changed the winner of one of my games !

the probability is only 8 out of 216 so 3.7% chance... once out of 27 rolls...

That's a chance you should take... and blame the gods if you fail...

Romans are not much stronger at taking out Fortresses... they still need 3 Legions to have a decent chance of sucess... They can try it with two but that's quite risky !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathpact wrote:
Romans are not much stronger at taking out Fortresses... they still need 3 Legions to have a decent chance of sucess... They can try it with two but that's quite risky !

Defnitely, although the chance for 2 Roman legions is about 67%. Not reliable, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Beaudouin
France
flag msg tools
It wouldn't be that bad if the consequences were less drastic...
Where is this table from ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathpact wrote:
It wouldn't be that bad if the consequences were less drastic...
Where is this table from ?

Yes these is where luck in MN:E comes in .. even though they're adjusted to be more predictable, they are still dice ..

The table .. I made it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Teowulff wrote:
The gripe is that you need 3 (unbuffed non-Roman) legions to destroy a fortress - but in the end you still kill one/lose one. Which isn't all that powerful in my opinion.

I will have to play around with it a little bit more. In my last 2-3 games, people became very hesitant to attack a fortress + 1 defender. It's not that there would be harsh casualties, but rather, you have to strip your own territories to get the needed men to attack the fort. That leaves you open to a counter attack by another nation. Basically, everyone is getting stalemated in our games..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Melric wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
The gripe is that you need 3 (unbuffed non-Roman) legions to destroy a fortress - but in the end you still kill one/lose one. Which isn't all that powerful in my opinion.

I will have to play around with it a little bit more. In my last 2-3 games, people became very hesitant to attack a fortress + 1 defender. It's not that there would be harsh casualties, but rather, you have to strip your own territories to get the needed men to attack the fort. That leaves you open to a counter attack by another nation. Basically, everyone is getting stalemated in our games..

It depends.

That's the big advantage of being Military Leader: you can move and battle last, destroy that fortress and legion, and next turn you can build new legions in your build phase and/or move back your units because you can choose to move and battle first.

These things are very situational. If two opponents start a war they're often weakened to the point that they can't attack you without leaving their provinces undefended. You may have a truce for 1 or 2 turns. Or perhaps it even doesn't matter anymore because you just won the 4 cities win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germano Damascena
msg tools
I read all your answers and compared with what the rulebook says. My conclusion is simple and based on the rulebook text. It says that the fortress "adds" +5 to a dice roll, what works like, but is not the same as, to do an auto hit. since fortress doesnt roll dices, this +5 bonus must be ignored, and the opponent must score 2 hits to successfuly eliminate it. Besides this way follow what the rulebook says, it works more properly like a real life atack to this sort of building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Park
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
11. If an invaded province has a defending Fort but no defending Legion, how does the battle work? Does the Fort, which usually rolls no battle die, get to roll one and then apply its bonus? Or does it just get to use the bonus with no die, in which case a "plus five" by itself would score 1 hit?

(Designer): Fort get a five with no other die roll of its own.
Phase 4 - Move & Battle :
A lone Fortress fights during its owner's phase, doing a 5 and cancelling 1 Hit.

This was the designer's response you can find on the FAQ rules post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.