Hide
4 Posts

Cruel Necessity» Forums » Rules

Subject: First foray into the fray - thoughts and questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arnott
msg tools

Had my first playthrough of the First Civil War whilst I was kicking my heels in the evenings (for 'evenings' read 3 in the morning when I binged awake) on a recent business-trip to Japan - fitted nicely in my rucksack (san Box)

First things first - this is a great game!

I had my fears that it might be a little 'dry', but I was very wrong - it's a thinky, brain-burning game, with challenges at every turn of a card and throw of a the di...

I played it over 3 evenings, in small bursts, and came back to it each night, surveying the map, and wondering what the heckity-heck I was going to do to salvage anything from the next set of turns!

I found myself speaking to myself during battles, cheering (quietly) when the Scots and Irish were forced back, and groaning as the irish reached their goal and the troubles ignited.

But I also had a few questions, which I think I figured out, but wanted to double-check here:

1. When an event-card appears, which indicates a battle (red Soldier / red cannon) and the standards which appear are, eg, 2 x North; 1 x West, my assumption is that you:

First, battle EITHER the North OR the West
THEN, the North activates twices, and the West activates once

Is that correct?

2.When the Ireland Political marker drops to its lowest box, flips, and the '+1' stregth marker in the 'Army Morale' box is added to the Irish army, I assumed 2 things:

a. It can remain there, on the Irish Army indefinitely?
b. it is returned to the 'Army Morale' box when the Ireland Political marker is moved back up the track again - I also assumed that the marker is flipped back to its original side?

3. Can you act against a Deviltry marker at any time during your action phase, just as you would against an army or City?

Any help / answers gratefully received.

As a last point of interest, I got to the end of the First Civil War, and emerged with a Total points of exactly ZERO!!!

It felt like a victory to me, depsite what the rules say...

regards,

Slippery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's a great game.

1. When you see the red soldier and red cannon on the event card indicating a battle, you will only perform ONE battle, and it must be against the North or the West (never the Irish or Scots).

2. You assumed correctly.

3. The Deviltry markers can be acted against at anytime on your turn for 1 Zeal regardless of where the armies are located (unlike other markers like the ClubMen and Uprisings)

Oh, and a score of 0 is good. Congrats!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slipperythings wrote:
As a last point of interest, I got to the end of the First Civil War, and emerged with a Total points of exactly ZERO!!!

For a first game, that seems an impressively high score to me! Were you remembering e.g. that the non-player armies roll twice for each siege instead of only once like you do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arnott
msg tools

I did remember -

I have a feeling that the cards came out in a sweet order, and Scotland and Ireland were easily kept at bay to begin with (lots of Disordering thanks to nice dice) - there were no Clubmen or Deviltry issues until pretty far down the pack, and all of the battles were surprisingly kind to me - not one defeat, and Cromwell and the other bloke arrived pretty early on to the battles too...

It was getting pretty hairy at the end tho!!

I don't think there were any major cock-ups - I spent a lot of time going over rules etc, and nothing I've read on the forums suggest I was doing anything untoward...

I am sure there was something that went awry somewhere, but if ZERO is a decent score, I'll take that...

Slippery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.