Victor Bocaling
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

I've been playing with the iOS app version of Pathfinder: Rise of the Runeloads & really like the game!

There have been 3 base sets released for Pathfinder ACG series. Since I'm on a limited budget, any recommendations on which set I should start with?

If there has been a thread on this topic, please feel free to send me the link. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The question was different, and there weren't many replies from others, but I compared RotR and S&S in this thread:
Luxury problem.

For what it's worth, we might give the upcoming Mummy core set a shot. My wife loves that setting, and if we go into it with a "this is going to be completely different from RotR" mindset, we might enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If theme isn't a concern at all, I'd go with Rise of the Runelords, Skull and Shackles, or the new Mummy's Mask. You mention budget, so maybe go with whatever is the least expensive.

RotR probably has the least rules (since everything else has basically added rules to RotR), so in that sense it is the simplest. The later ones are more refined in their presentation.

I'd personally say you might want to just jump in with Mummy's Mask. It looks both straight forward and interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you search the forum? There a few such threads.

You'll find the most opposition to Wrath. The Wrath B scenarios are notoriously hard -- one is said to be the hardest scenario in all of PACG -- and some early banes are very punishing.

I'd recommend either Skull & Shackles or Mummy's Mask. Both should be entertaining and have a good fun/difficulty balance (although that's harder to say for Mummy's Mask; I'm basing my judgement on the playtest.)

If you choose anything but Mummy's Mask, I recommend Autoduelist's adventure guides. They are fully legal story aides which flesh out the story -- they are on BGG but you can see the link to all of them at:
http://paizo.com/paizo/about/communityuse/registry. Search for "Autoduelist".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just on that last point, kittenhoarder is planning on working on an Adventure Guide for Mummy's Mask. I encourage people to check out that project here and think about supporting it with a small contribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.