9 Posts

Chariot Race» Forums » Reviews

Subject: King of Tokyo - The Racing Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my quick impressions after playing at Essen Spiel. I played the super sized version so I cannot really comment on components except that they naturally looked disappointing compared to the super sized version

Gameplay:
You each have a horse running around a track. You try to complete two laps on the track before everyone else).

You roll 6 dice, you have one reroll. The dice allow you to do different stuff. After you rolled the dice, you will move a number of spaces equal to your current speed. Moving too quickly (especially in the inner lanes on the oval track) damages your chariot).

The dice allow you to do different stuff:

Collect gold - Gold is used to repair your chariot or for additional rerolls or other dice manipulation.

Switch lane - Switch to an inner lane (where there is shorter distance to travel but you take more damage if you move too quickly) or outer lane which allows you to go fast fast without taking as much damage.

Switch speed - Increase or decrease your speed.

Speed up - Increase speed by two and take one damage. Woo!

Throw spear or drop caltrops - Stuff to damage the opponent.

Conclusion: This game felt a lot like playing king of tokyo the first time for me. Fast fun dice roling. Messing up the other players, getting ahead and doing cool stuff. When you race you can really feel your chariot breaking, things falling off here and there. You try to repear it while riding and throwing spears (maybe it is just a whip?) and dropping caltrops. The game feels cool and thematic. It think it is probably better with more players, 5-6 might be the best. You do not collect any boring points, you just race and smash and try to hang on. It really feels like your chariot is out of control sometimes. This is quite the feat with such few and simple game machenisms.

The game is really easy to learn and teach and non-boardgame-geeks will have no problems jumping right into the action.

I have a bit of concerns with replayability. The game does include alternate player boards where the stats of each chariot differs, but I am missing something like a 'power up' deck which makes each game different. Of course, the lack of this makes it easier to introduce new players. They will not have to read rules on cards.

I think most people would enjoy this (at least on their first plays). I have some concerns about replayability, but since I have only played it a single time, it is not really fair of me to judge this, so judge for yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that there will be a KS for the English copy. I will likely back it if chariot miniatures are an option!(nudge nudge wink wink)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
AccidentalCultist wrote:
I've heard that there will be a KS for the English copy. I will likely back it if chariot miniatures are an option!(nudge nudge wink wink)

kickstart is up now too. but no chariot miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this being produced for retail in the U.S.? Is getting it sooner the only benefit for backing this KS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AccidentalCultist wrote:
Is this being produced for retail in the U.S.? Is getting it sooner the only benefit for backing this KS?

A quote directly from the KS campaign page.

Quote:
For the sake of transparency we would like to talk about the nature of this campaign. Chariot Race is a co-produced game with our partners Pegasus Spiele, this means that Chariot Race is being manufactured right now, and is expected to arrive at our KY warehouse by late-November. Normally here at Eagle-Gryphon Games we launch Kickstarters in the hope of having a game concept, from mostly first time designers, become funded so we can turn that concept into a reality. This campaign however is outside of the norm, so, you may ask, why are we launching a Kickstarter campaign?

The reason is that Kickstarter is the best way to debut Chariot Race to USA and Canadian backers! Currently Pegasus Spiele is about to launch the German version of Chariot Race across Europe, while Eagle-Gryphon Games will be selling the English version exclusively to the USA and Canada. Through our cooperative efforts we are making Chariot Race available to the public worldwide at approximately the same time. Kickstarter is by far the fastest way to get Chariot Race into your hands!

Here are the key advantages to backing the Chariot Race campaign:

A Great Price: $24, and the shipping will be much cheaper than purchasing Chariot Race from Europe.
Speedy Delivery: We expect to have Chariot Race shipped to everyone in time for the holidays. The plan is to have everything you pledged for (Add-Ons Included) in your hands by December!

We appreciate your understanding and support for the Chariot Race campaign, and we are happy to serve you in providing quality games for the Kickstarter gaming community.

-- Ian Dudley, Creative Director, Eagle-Gryphon Games

At least they are honest about this "campaign" being purely a pre-order.
I can only guess they will have it available for retail in time for the holidays as well. It's already being printed in Germany so there ya go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Scott
msg tools
In reality most retailers stock up on games in October/November for the holidays. It is risky for them to purchase games in December because they are missing most of the holiday rush. This isn't coming in until late November so it may not be in many retailers hands before the holidays. It really depends on the retailers.

http://kck.st/2eektk0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to this game. But alas it falls short of my expectations. To put it bluntly it looks tiny and cheap. The racing board is just a little bigger than the player boards. Those clips for the player boards just look cheap and will ruin the boards. An those standees....... This could have been an amazing game. Was hoping for a grand Colosseum with beautiful components. In this the board game renaissance the bar has been raised an this just falls short for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
queerchameleon wrote:
I was looking forward to this game. But alas it falls short of my expectations. To put it bluntly it looks tiny and cheap. The racing board is just a little bigger than the player boards. Those clips for the player boards just look cheap and will ruin the boards. An those standees....... This could have been an amazing game. Was hoping for a grand Colosseum with beautiful components. In this the board game renaissance the bar has been raised an this just falls short for me.

I suppose this is why it's being offered at such a low price. The components look fairly disposable in the photos.. Then again, it'll probably be available at retail for less than 20 bucks which is a pretty enticing price point for a quick and dirty game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You kids, get offa my lawn!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think keeping the price point of this game low is a smart move and ultimately will sell more copies. For those that do want nicer components, EGG is in talks with Meeple Source, so maybe that will be an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.