Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game, a few observations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Summers
msg tools
Finally got this to the table on Saturday, I played as the Federation and lost to the Romulans. As always with first games we forgot a bunch of rules, but not so much that it affected the outcome I don't think.

- It was looong, but I don't think ours was a fair test. We played at Bar Scenario in London, so there was hectic other tables going on around us, people getting rounds, we got a pizza, my buddy's wife and her friends showed up.....ended up around 6 hours without the rules explanation but I think we could have trimmed it to 4 if it'd had been at someone's house.

- I found it very hard to convince the two others why making contact was a good thing. The production gained from Trade Agreements doesn't seem all that great if you have a good first few rounds and are already scooping up half a dozen each round, and they both (Klingons and Romulans) carefully avoided connecting space lanes and as a result we had a very odd shaped board I think. There was only two systems left in the stack by the end, and some very crammed in planets. The result was that there was basically one main bottle necked channel between each home area which made for a less interesting later game, where we just sent fleets down these channels and ended up fighting a lot over the same planets over and over. The poor people of Risa changed allegiance between the Feds and Klingons about 5 times I think. We did all agree that we should have connected up more afterward so the second game should be better.

- I didn't realise how restraining it would be to have one fleet and one Starbase early on. This by itself is reason enough to get to three Ascendancy quickly, even you're planning a military victory.

- It was really, really close. The last round, the Klingons successfully took both Earth and Romulus but had to hold it till the end of turn. Romulans and Feds both Ascended to 5 that same turn but needed to regain their homes, AND try to take some systems to win the tie. We both took back our home planets (thinking about it, Klingons should probably have bidded on the third turn as I think they would have won then), but Romulans took more systems so won on the tie.

- It's amazing how much you can get done on a turn. When I needed to regain Earth, I had plenty of Production so built a battle fleet at a Starbase, put it to warp, added enough to get to Earth, and invaded, and then re-hegemonied Earth (I did wonder if this worked the same way, is there any advantage to me as it's my home planet? Wouldn't Earthlings want to rejoin the Federation?). So the game can change very quickly, if there's a threat that needs addressing and you have the resources.

And of course the important thing, it was loads of fun. I bought coloured dice for each faction and there were huge battles between Klingon and Romulan fleets, with 13 dice being thrown at 9 and watching the luck fall as it would. Can't wait for the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i feel the not wanting to make first contact is a new player mistake. the 3 production is always huge IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why anyone would give out a 3 Trade Agreement at First Contact early game unless the other player has a full-on culture engine going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you continue to play, you will discover the utility of connecting, research, and many other things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Jordan
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I also had a first game recently. Playing federation I ALSO encountered a scenario where the Romulans and Klingons refused to connect space lanes. As a result, I was left in the middle forced to fight both of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyjobo wrote:
I also had a first game recently. Playing federation I ALSO encountered a scenario where the Romulans and Klingons refused to connect space lanes. As a result, I was left in the middle forced to fight both of them.

as the federation you should have been able to storm away with a culture victory if they wernt trying to stop you. i understand first game and all but i think of the 3 races available the feds are the least likely to need to connect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
Klaxas wrote:
andyjobo wrote:

as the federation you should have been able to storm away with a culture victory if they wernt trying to stop you. i understand first game and all but i think of the 3 races available the feds are the least likely to need to connect.

I kind of realised that halfway through my game, but also wanted to take the lead and demonstrate that it wasn't so bad, and it made for a better end game even though I didn't win. I think people initially see it as opening a door to being invaded that doesn't need opening, especially when you measure it against discovering a new system for the same cost and potentially finding a decent planet all to yourself. But you then realise that all the discovery is just a precursor to the real game, and the map you have to fight on is far more important ultimately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and you come up with single ship blocking strategies to make your connected territory less accessible. Also, Star Bases are usually built on such border areas to help in defense with both local production and their own presence in a space battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.