Subject: All those new reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up with the sudden plethora of new reviews (7 in a day's time, mostly by new users)?

Is there a contest going on or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since at least one of the reviews was negative, I wouldn't think there'd be a contest.

Not sure why the recent surge though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Go on 'head get down with it.
badge
Take it to the chorus!
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG put out their last expansion for the game last week. There's probably more interest due to the significance of this event. Some people waited to play until now, some people started evangelizing the game anew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened a while back with Netrunner. It ended up being for a class project. The students were asked to write a review of Netrunner, which was the new hotness at the time, and post it to BGG. I felt bad for a couple of the reviewers as some of the replies were a little harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
This happened a while back with Netrunner. It ended up being for a class project.

That's probably it then. On closer inspection, those new users all appear to be from Salt Lake City / noted as located in Utah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering about that review influx but I've just been enjoying reading the reviews. One of my favorite things to do after a game is to talk about it with the other players and see what they think about it. What would they do differently, what did they see someone else do that they liked or disliked or what would they have done. I find the whole process as fascinating as playing the game itself. Unless you are playing Zombie Dice, in that case you can stick your strategy in your rear end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah its all kinda sketchy. all zero day users dropping reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been reported to Octavian, the Community Manager.

Octavian as posted at LASH wrote:
We had something like this before - an English as a Second Language teacher thought it would be a good idea to assign students to flood our forums with reviews for a game.

I'm removing the threads and asking the accounts to have the teacher contact me at Octavian@boardgamegeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't sure what was going on and whether or not I should report it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Oh, I saw it as a positive thing. Why remove them or report them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
somaluna wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

Yes, I agree 100%. What bizarre behaviour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
totally a good thing! What better way to promote our industry than to teach it in classrooms . Deleting the reviews seems very odd...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
somaluna wrote:
monkeyhandz wrote:

First off, many don't seem entirely accurate, one gets the name wrong in the title, and some feel as if the "reviewers" read comments and session reports here, rather than playing the game. So, essentially, bad reviews.

Secondly, because if this was done by a whole lot of ESL teachers, and not just this one, that would overwhelm BGG and make the existing content here, essentially meaningless in a sea of "reviews".

Thirdly, because it's their site, and they don't want this done on their site?

Although I have continued to see more reviews pop up in my subscriptions, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't think it's that big of a deal.
Reviews have their own section on the forums, people can search reviews based on their popularity, if that's what they're looking to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is entitled to their viewpoint.

It's not my call but I personally agree with the outcome for these reasons:

1. No offence to the class, but these were cookie cutter reviews. They were very similar (of suspiciously similar length and content), some included no punctuation and IMO they didn't add value to the forums.

2. They created lots of flags and complaints from users who experience the these threads as spam - as they created hundreds if not thousands of (false?) notifications.

3. This clogged up Geekmod meaning contributions by normal users, creating content for something other than class credits, were inconvenienced.

4. Many were posted in the wrong forums altogether (Game Design, General Gaming, Recommendations and BGG Community - IIRC).

5. The precedent is terrible - if every game design class (or language class, as we have also seen in the past) were given this for homework then it poses harm to the site.

6. Nothing is stopping the students who care about the game and gaming to join the site and become part of the community and share future contributions. In fact that would be brilliant and you'd be very welcome

7. Had the students got to pick their favourite game rather then all being given the same one, then perhaps this wouldn't be such a big issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to post some of the reasons monkeyhandz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
7. Had the students got to pick their favourite game rather then all being given the same one, then perhaps this wouldn't be such a big issue.

I like that idea. I wish I had this kind of homework assignment when I was in school.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Brown
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Hi there, I'm one of the students in question. We are in a masters level Game Design class at the U of Utah. We are sorry for any troubles our reviews may have caused.

We were to play Doomtown: Reloaded for a while, review it, and (for extra credit) post the review. Is there a way we could have handled this better? Perhaps one mega-review we could all post under? Our instructors are inhumanly cruel and we just hoped for the extra point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfMadeUsDoIt wrote:
Is there a way we could have handled this better? Perhaps one mega-review we could all post under? Our instructors are inhumanly cruel and we just hoped for the extra point.

One mega-review would probably be unwieldy given a huge wall of text. You could always post each review as an entry to your own geeklist. Here's an example of a teacher using one to post her student's design projects:

Amazing game designs from my hilarious students
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfMadeUsDoIt wrote:
Hi there, I'm one of the students in question. We are in a masters level Game Design class at the U of Utah. We are sorry for any troubles our reviews may have caused.

We were to play Doomtown: Reloaded for a while, review it, and (for extra credit) post the review. Is there a way we could have handled this better? Perhaps one mega-review we could all post under? Our instructors are inhumanly cruel and we just hoped for the extra point.

A masters level game design class professor had you play a game and review it as an assignment? Seems more like a "Game Design 101" task. I'd question myself for spending money on such a class with a professor like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.