A Game of Thrones (first edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: is he alive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kao
Taiwan
Tai- chuang
flag msg tools
If the player lose all the units except the fleets, is he alive? According to the rule book, if no one attacks those fleets, nobody can dismiss those fleets. But it is very strange that there is no any landing supply was avaliable. If he is alive, he can still influent the battles adjace to those fleets. It seems strange, doesn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:is he alive?
cylindroma (#24337),

You can never be eliminated from this game. If you have no fleets, land units or influence markers on the board you can still be restored to the board if enemy units leave your capital and any influence markers there are removed. At that point the influence marker printed on the board will become active, allowing you to muster. You can bid influence chips (and offer to use fleets in certain ways) to get your capital vacated.

Fleets allow you to collect influence chips in two ways so they aren't only for attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a correction to (#24338), fleets cannot use Consolidate Power so they can only acquire chips by raiding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kao
Taiwan
Tai- chuang
flag msg tools
mlvanbie (#24338 & 24339),

I am so sorry that I didn't make myself clear enough. It is nice of you to answer my question anyway. In fact, the situation I am in is that one player only own one fleet in one sea area without any army unit or controlling land area. In my opinion, I don't think he is out of this game if no one attack his fleet. On the other hands, another player think that it is strange to left him alive in this game. What is your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cylindroma (#24375),

That's exactly what I thought you wrote. The fleet can defend, attack, support and raid. Even if the fleet is destroyed (leaving the player with absolutely nothing on the board) the player should be able to still participate in auctions and wildling attacks. A player with nothing on the board can later have tokens on the board because they have an influence chip printed on the board -- as long as no units are in that area and any influence markers are removed then you would be able to muster units in that area. Hence no player should ever be considered eliminated.

I feel that this is appropriate to the source material, too. One of the great houses (not in the game) was reduced eventually to just one family member and one follower. She is building an army (off the game map) to take back her family's rightful position (ruling the entire game map). There is another house (also off the map, not yet really in the books) which would be only fleets, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
mlvanbie (#24379),

I feel the example you are using is spoking for the opposite. That a House can be conquered and subdued, which the rules don't support. Remember that this was done before the books begin, and that single induvidual does not extert any power at all in Westeros (not as far as I have read at least).

Even if your armies and ships are demolished, the rules does not state that the hose is conqured. The player has still to participate in potential Clash of Kings etc. Which I feel is unsatisfactory, but thats my personal option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantera (#24387),

I feel that it implies that even when you have no armies in the field you may have a few individuals that can later restore the glory of your house through patience and diplomacy. Isn't Daenerys always told that the people will rise up in support of her house when she returns? After everything that has happened to the Starks, including the burning of Winterfell, don't you think that they will return to power?

There are many cases in the books where the weakness of individuals have caused destruction. Will you not credit the politicking of individuals with similar strength? I think that the next book will show that individuals make many changes, although they may assemble armies to effect these changes. (BTW, the sample chapter for the next book was replaced on 26 December: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/chapter.html ) If you read The Hedge Night (now partially available in comic form, but originally a short story) you will see what individuals can do to a house. Certainly in the game the choice of leader card can be more important than the units the leader controls.

After having all of your unit eliminated you are free to drop out of the game, but I think that it is more in the spirit of the game to use your remaining influence to get revenge against your enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pantera
Sweden
flag msg tools
Well, its just my personal opinion. And if Targaryens do have influence on Westeros, it doesn't show in the board game. In the CCG it's quite different though. I know many feel its good as it is, and I'm ok with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leiv Hodne
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mlvanbie wrote:
There is another house (also off the map, not yet really in the books) which would be only fleets, I think.

Eh? Which house is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Findegil (#24432),

That wasn't very accurate. Having read the previously referenced preview chapter, the Braavosi definitely have on-land cities. Their fighting forces are all ships and a guarded harbour entrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.