A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Interaction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What kind of interaction (or absence of it) should I expect from the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a worker placement, so most interaction will be indirect.
It's got 66 placement spots, so you ought to be able to get things done regardless of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From what I gathered:

there is no common board,
most tiles are there in enough quantities,
you can't mess with other people's board,
there are too many action-spots to fight for them.

So how is that a multiplayer game? In what way does the fact that I play with others influence their play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
From what I gathered:

So how is that a multiplayer game? In what way does the fact that I play with others influence their play?

The action board has much fewer distinct actions that it looks, actually. You can and will end up blocking people by taking spots forcing them to take less efficient actions, even if they end up with the same result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Macchiavello
Brazil
Brasília
flag msg tools
mb
tilouboy wrote:
From what I gathered:

There are several action-spots as you said. However, in a 4 player game players will block other player more than you expect. In a 3 player games this happen less often, and in a 2 player games it will happen eventually. Now, there is another type of interaction which is buying tiles that there is only ONE of then. This are the special BLUE tiles (like the hammer, crown, etc.), the islands and the houses. You do this in action-spaces, but sometimes you are not planning to do it in the future, so a another player did not block you or anything, but it definitively affected your plans.

Having said that, IMHO this games has as many player interaction as Caverna does. I really like Caverna. However, I like Le Havre and Agricola more, because is has more player interaction (specailly LE Havre were you used other peoples buildings). It is too soon to say if I like this game (Odin) more or less than other Uwe's games. But it is certantly a very good game with some, but not much, player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
back_spacer wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
From what I gathered:

There are several action-spots as you said. However, in a 4 player game players will block other player more than you expect. In a 3 player games this happen less often, and in a 2 player games it will happen eventually. Now, there is another type of interaction which is buying tiles that there is only ONE of then. This are the special BLUE tiles (like the hammer, crown, etc.), the islands and the houses. You do this in action-spaces, but sometimes you are not planning to do it in the future, so a another player did not block you or anything, but it definitively affected your plans.

Having said that, IMHO this games has as many player interaction as Caverna does. I really like Caverna. However, I like Le Havre and Agricola more, because is has more player interaction (specailly LE Havre were you used other peoples buildings). It is too soon to say if I like this game (Odin) more or less than other Uwe's games. But it is certantly a very good game with some, but not much, player interaction.

Thanks for the comparison. Less interaction than Le Havre is probably not enough for me. I want to have an incentive to care for what the other players are doing. As interesting a puzzle Odin seems to be, it doesn't sound like it has that incentive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like this sort of game for that reason. Minimal interaction, or at least minimal "mean" interaction, is nice for me especially when playing with a significant other.

It is also somewhat typical of the worker placement genre to varying extents. For example, I like Tzolk'in, but off the top of my head I cannot think of player interaction besides blocking spaces or buying cards other players wanted. *edit* I forgot you could take the first player spot and try to skip a term in order to hurt people, but I avoid that action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I really like this sort of game for that reason. Minimal interaction, or at least minimal "mean" interaction, is nice for me especially when playing with a significant other.

It is also somewhat typical of the worker placement genre to varying extents. For example, I like Tzolk'in, but off the top of my head I cannot think of player interaction besides blocking spaces or buying cards other players wanted. *edit* I forgot you could take the first player spot and try to skip a term in order to hurt people, but I avoid that action.

I understand that way of playing but do you care for what the others are doing when playing like that? I don't in such games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I understand that way of playing but do you care for what the others are doing when playing like that? I don't in such games.

I watch it for scoring purposes, or if there's a particular space I might want to block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So just got my hands on it--my thoughts for interaction is this: You'll jam up quick enough. While there are a ton of spaces, you'd be surprised how much you'll get in each other's way. Most actions, like boat building, hunting/whaling, upgrading, mountain gathering, they're all on the board twice or more. But the rub is this, the guy who got to a common action first paid one Viking to do it. Sure, the two Viking space might do more, but now you put your big 4-Viking play in jeopardy. So while that big spot may go uncontested, it will be far less efficient for you.
There's a lot of different things to do, but for the uncommon actions, like specialty crafting, you'll be in dire straits if you were depending on making a tunic from your fur and linen this turn and it got nabbed.

All that to say the board will put pressure on you to try to get the most efficient spots first. Seven rounds and twelve Vikings isn't as much time or workers as you would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played for the first time last night with three and there was a reasonable amount of competition for the more desirable multi-viking spaces, especially the three-viking ones. (Those tended to go before the fours for us.) I imagine it would be even more contested with four. With two it seems like it would be extremely open, especially if you are not both pursuing overlapping paths.

I get the feeling this is better with 3-4 based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The interesting interaction that we've seen in our six plays is the battle for going first. It's as big a deal as going first in Agricola.

We are seeing fierce early competition for wood for ships, and then later for pillaging. Whaling is moving up on the radar as well.

So if you don't mind the indirect competition you find in most Euro's then the interaction should be sufficient. This however is not a thematic hunt down other players kind of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
The interesting interaction that we've seen in our six plays is the battle for going first. It's as big a deal as going first in Agricola.

We are seeing fierce early competition for wood for ships, and then later for pillaging. Whaling is moving up on the radar as well.

So if you don't mind the indirect competition you find in most Euro's then the interaction should be sufficient. This however is not a thematic hunt down other players kind of game.

One thing I forgot in my first couple games is that at any time, players can outright buy ships with silver. If wood and the ship spaces are a problem, that is an expensive way around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.