Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have to split an NPC do you:
A.) Add another NPC of the same model?
B.) Add a different NPC model if the exact one is not available?
C.) Add a standard walker?

If "A" and the exact model is not available, do all walkers (and NPC) get an extra activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure there is a rule about NPCs being placed somewhat randomly, I'd assume the practice continues for the split +1 scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once spawned, an NPC Walker is treated as a Standard Walker. It doesn't say this explicitly, but given the other rules, it perfectly fits that it is not a separate group when it comes to splitting. Thus, if the total number of Standard Walkers, including NPC Walkers, wishes to split, and the number is not divisible by the number of splits, you would add extra Standard Walkers to make up the difference.

Edit: If you wish to call them a separate group still due to their NPC status, you would draw random NPCs to make up the difference or replace with Standard Walkers if you have run out. Whatever happens, there won't be an extra activation, as splitting cannot cause extra activations in Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Whatever happens, there won't be an extra activation, as splitting cannot cause extra activations in Black Plague.

Ah, yes, thanks for that reminder Jorgen.

What we decided mid-game was to draw random NPCs when an NPC split. If we were out of NPCs we placed starndard walkers. Seemed to work ok. We never ran out of either model so we avoided that extra activation mistake in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
I prefer not to duplicate my NPCs via the Split Rule. It makes getting Vault weapons harder to get if they do not duplicate. In all respect I treat them as normal Walkers except collecting them for Vault Items and Extra movement cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand this is the rule but I'm never going to play it. The idea of the walker magically appearing seems silly to me. Why not just roll a die to see what direction they go or make them stand there confused (which would actually be more thematic)?

I'm never playing the "only torches can cause dragon bile to catch fire" rule either. Again, I understand that is the rule and I don't blame anyone for playing it as it was intended, but as a 30 year DM accustomed to explaining to players why things work as they do, I just couldn't do it.

Call it my personal problem if you want but I want the game to make sense in-world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I understand this is the rule but I'm never going to play it. The idea of the walker magically appearing seems silly to me. Why not just roll a die to see what direction they go or make them stand there confused (which would actually be more thematic)?

I'm never playing the "only torches can cause dragon bile to catch fire" rule either. Again, I understand that is the rule and I don't blame anyone for playing it as it was intended, but as a 30 year DM accustomed to explaining to players why things work as they do, I just couldn't do it.

Call it my personal problem if you want but I want the game to make sense in-world.

I say if you find the game balanced the way you want to play it then who's to say what's wrong with it? Play it how you like. I have to believe the rules were written the way they are as the result of much trial and error and prusuit of overall game balance. That's not to say there can be only one way to play though and since we're not talking about tournament play to each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm sure that is how the decision was made. But game balance decisions that bother you so much you don't enjoy the game are maybe worth ignoring. The ranged weapon priority rule in normal Zombicide, not replicated in Black Plague, is why I never bothered with the original game. That rule, all by itself, discovered in the demo at a convention, was enough to give it a pass.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I really loathe rules that pull you out of immersion in the game because they are so obviously implausible within the world but added for some other (possibly good) reason. A good game designer should manage the mechanics so that the theme is not broken. Mostly they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's hard to fathom what they were thinking with that original friendly fire rule. I would like to have been a fly on the wall during those discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a possible description for you...

In a real environment, you would not know exactly how many Zombies are in each Zone, even with a birds eye view of the proceedings. You might have a general idea, but you won't know until the Zombies are right on top of you how many Zombies are actually there. If this is the case, it does not seem that absurd that what you thought was an odd number of Zombies splits evenly into two groups with a total that is one Zombie greater than your original prediction.

So the extra Zombie that appears due to the split isn't coming out of thin air. It just happened to be there the whole time and you miscounted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take the splitting as zombies that you thought were dead and lying there in the street are actually not dead and get back up. I don't have a problem with it and am sure not looking for a reason to make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
The rule does not make sense from a common sense perspective (does anything in a zombie board game?). However, I find that you only split a few times per game and I think splitting is best for balancing the game. I can see why they added that rule.

I personally do split the zombies when equal paths are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Yes I'm sure that is how the decision was made. But game balance decisions that bother you so much you don't enjoy the game are maybe worth ignoring. The ranged weapon priority rule in normal Zombicide, not replicated in Black Plague, is why I never bothered with the original game. That rule, all by itself, discovered in the demo at a convention, was enough to give it a pass.

It's a pet peeve of mine that I really loathe rules that pull you out of immersion in the game because they are so obviously implausible within the world but added for some other (possibly good) reason. A good game designer should manage the mechanics so that the theme is not broken. Mostly they do.

Having not played Zombicide. What was the rule for ranged weapons? Was the lack of shields/armor the issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bghead8che wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Having not played Zombicide. What was the rule for ranged weapons? Was the lack of shields/armor the issue?

Reg Zombicide shoot into a zone hits survivors first. No option. Black plague you only hit survivors if you miss the ranged shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
carbon_dragon wrote:
Bghead8che wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

Reg Zombicide shoot into a zone hits survivors first. No option. Black plague you only hit survivors if you miss the ranged shot.

Got it! I can see why people are upset about this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.