BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: My first time at Spiel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
The plan was to help out at a booth and spend a day or two at Spiel to play and buy games. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances I was only able to attend on Saturday on my own.

This was my first time at Spiel, or any big board game convention, so I had nothing to compare it with. I posted a thread here and the gave me a lot of useful tips.

In the week before Spiel I printed out the hall plan, went through the Essen Spiel Preview and brought the list down from 700+ to about 40 that looked interesting. About 10 of those looked like they would hit the table at a regular basis so those went on to the top of the list.

Left at 7 a.m. and arrived in Essen at 9 a.m.. Plenty of parking space and the foyer wasn't too crowded yet.

Doors opened a little before 10 a.m. and I went straight for the first game that I really wanted to play. Bit dissapointed to find a lot of tables already filled with people who had early acces (writers for blogs etc.).

Luckily there are tons of booths and being there be myself meant that a lot of times I could join a two or three player game. Lots of friendly gamers who didn't mind as long as I asked them nicely :-).

It wasn't too crowdy, with the exception of some of the narrower parts of the Messe.

All in all I had a lot fun. Got to play a lot of games that were on the list and got to have a look at a lot of other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Glad you enjoyed it! I went there with a similar approach, though I was working at a booth part time and thus did not get to play too much.

The issues about tables already filled seemed to be an issue for me as well, especially with the amount of journalists, bloggers and traders around. But that is part of a fair, and I am happy that even casual visitors get to play lots of different games. In my experience, everything that was not Hall 3 (or 1 to some extend) went better in terms of finding a spot. Lots of gems in the indie areas. But keep in mind, every tables (or rather the space) costs a lot of money and not every company can afford it.

On a side not, did anyone else made funny faces in front of those weird windows on the Pegasus business area offices?

If I had to criticise something, it would be the placement of certain booths. We had ours in Hall 3, where many heavier games were played (like ours). For some reason though, booths with agility/dexterity games, children's games and the like were spread between these, raising the overall noise levels by a lot. I am all in favor of having fun kids' games on the fair, but why do they have to have their booths between companies with 2 hr games? Or well, why do we have our booths next to theirs?

Another thing to note was that I felt everyone was buying everything on Thursday and then went to play. We were sold out too.

All together, I think the fair was nice, with many interesting discoveries to make. Let's hope next year is going to be even more awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
Avaru wrote:

Another thing to note was that I felt everyone was buying everything on Thursday and then went to play. We were sold out too.

Probably going again next year but on the Thursday because of this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.