Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: No sales tax? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rich
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I am concerned for my order. I live in Florida, where we have sales tax, but when I ordered MvM, the charge was exactly $80. Now I am worried something went wrong when I ordered, even though I did get a confirmation email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
In most states that have sales tax, the tax only applies at the time of sale for online purchases if the retailer has a physical location within the state. Otherwise, in most states it's up to the buyer to properly claim the purchase and pay the tax with their state income tax.

To be clear, the sales tax is ALWAYS supposed to be paid no matter the situation. The only difference is whether the retailer collects it, or whether the buyer declares it and pays it as part of their state income tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you order stuff online most vendors do not collect sales tax.
They are not required to unless they have a presence in your state.

Riot in California, is not responsible for collecting Florida state taxes. There are 50 states with different tax laws that even go down to county, city, even regions within cities. Not to mention international. Now when they ship to Canada or Europe they pay the tax, but they use a service for Canada, not sure what they do for Europe, but these things have to clear customs.

In most states you as the consumer are still required to pay the tax. So technically you should self asses. This is one of the advantages that online has over brick and mortar.

ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rich
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
"or whether the buyer declares it and pays it as part of their state income tax."

I don't understand this part. How would I go about paying the sales tax? We don't have state income tax here, just the sales tax. I do care about doing things the correct way, and don't mind paying the tax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
http://dor.myflorida.com/taxes/Pages/consumer.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
costguy wrote:
Now when they ship to Canada or Europe they pay the tax, but they use a service for Canada, not sure what they do for Europe, but these things have to clear customs.

Europe is different again - each country has its own rate of sales tax, but if you're importing something with the intention of distributing within the EU, the importer pays the VAT/sales tax at the rate of the country it's imported to for all the goods at that single rate. The goods are then recorded as being part of the EU common trade area, and can be moved about the EU at will without having to pay any further VAT taxes.

Eg. goods are imported into Germany, distributor pays 19% VAT on all items, and they they can be shipped on freely to the UK (even though the rate there is 20%) or elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Blessing
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For the original poster, if you use Amazon to order here in Florida, they only started to charge sales tax in May 2014, which is when they opened two shipping warehouses just outside of Tampa. It was only when they had a physical presence in FL that they started (and were required) to collect the sales tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.