Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite the newbie--I've only played once--but I'd be interested in getting a PBEM game up and running. Any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also new, I've only played the game twice, not very familiar with play by e-mail, and on a very distant timezone, but if you're willing to have me I'm game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also be game (1 play this weekend) - is playing with Vassal relatively straight forward? - I've never used it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I played around with Vassal and more or less get it. How does the email part work though?

I was reading about log files, it says you send them back and forth as moves are completed but would this mean that for things where there is player interaction (battles) we would need to, for example:
1. Commit armies to the battle board
2. save/Send the log file
3. side two commits armies
4. Save/send the log file
5. Side commits TCs to the battle board
6. Save/send the log file
7. next side commits TC
8. Save/send the log file
9-etc

Resulting in a lot of back and forth emails? Or am I not understanding how this would work. I ask because during my one play this last weekend we had some battles that had a lot of back and forth. This seems like it could translate into a lot of emailing.
-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the battles will take a lot of back and forth emailing, but they're such small moves that I don't think it will end up dragging much. When I play PBEM, it's games which require long moves that tend to go the longest between moves.

If you two want to shoot me your emails in a PM, we can set up a game and kick things off. Any preferences as to side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PM'd both of you...

As for side preference, I don't care - random is fine with me. I played Prussia/Prags in my one live game on the weekend and I'd be fine playing them or switching it up.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also PM'd both of you. And I don't have a strong preference either. I've played Prussia twice so I'd be happier to play any of the other two, but it isn't a big deal to me, random is just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note to the choosing of sides talk:

Since all discussion at the table is supposed to be public, and deals are meant to be honoured once accepted, should we just use this thread to discuss or is there a better way to do this? (I've never done a PBEM game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll be sending you a logfile for us to start the game. Regarding game discussion, we can either use this thread to discuss negotiations or can simply embed them into an email chain. Either way will work fine. Worked out as Andrew/Austria Dave/Prussia and me/France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
OK, I'll be sending you a logfile for us to start the game. Regarding game discussion, we can either use this thread to discuss negotiations or can simply embed them into an email chain. Either way will work fine. Worked out as Andrew/Austria Dave/Prussia and me/France.

Wiener schnitzels for everyone then!

Let's just use this thread for game related communications, might make it a tad easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew when you reveal the politics cards feel free to send a log to us and/or post in here what the cards are - we can always have a quick chat about how to ... proceed. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are Carl Emanuel I and Denmark. I sent you the log file, not sure why it played out that way. Why did I go second and France first? Austria is last in the politics phase.

The trump is spades. I moved the tactical card drawn for the trump to the political discard by mistake, I'll discard it to its discard deck as soon as I get another turn.

I suggest you get Denmark for the Pragmatic Army if at all possible. Do you have a good card to play for that? If not, I can get it for you, but you will be paying subsidies through your nose for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have placed my bids. We can see about negociations once they are purchased. I placed both my cards (Prussia and Prags) as what France does won't have an effect on my decision - I hope that's okay.

Log file will be in email shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, let us know if you still intend to pass during the political phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm passing. Austria is up to play a TC if they so choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Austria also skips, having full confidence in their half-ally half-enemy.

Austria will also skip the Hussars phase as it is irrelevant in the current setup. So, after we're done with the Political phase France can just start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through politics . . . decided to keep my strong card for later use with the prags and then execute the Carl card as Prussia.

Email of logfile will be sent shortly for France to take over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swoop_ds wrote:
Played through politics . . . decided to keep my strong card for later use with the prags and then execute the Carl card as Prussia.

No Danes. Probably a good idea not to waste a reserve card on it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prussia is up for movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schmidt
Canada
Strasbourg
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the prussian turn and pragmatics part of the Austrian turn. let me know if that's not okay. In any event, the log file will be emailed shortly.

Also, the one deck ran out and didn't give me any cards for pragmatic army so I put in the yellow deck - just in case you're wondering why pragmatic army drew cards X 3 twice in a row...
-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest that in the future we should probably coordinate the Pragmatic Army with Austria. Arenberg isn't going to be able to do much without Pragmatic support.

Also, I believe there was a small, and inconsequential, mistake on Sean's turn. You take over fortresses when you leave them, Belle-Isle(2) did not leave the fortress, he just entered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Austria is done, Turn 2 politics phase is set up.

Trump is still spades, randomly drew the exact same card.

Naples and Military Aid? are the two political cards.

Prussia is up. I'm going to bed for now, catch you guys tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read spoiler after Sean is done with France's political phase.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Austria is not playing any political cards.

Hussars won't be deployed this turn either, as the hyper defensive Austrian positions do not allow for any useful hussar deployments.

You guys can play the rest of your turns until you start a battle with me, I believe only Bavaria might be able to do so, or until Austria's turn. I wish to coordinate with the Pragmatic Army this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I can't see the Prussian reveal, so we do need to kick it back to David to reveal his cards. As noted, I shouldn't have conquered that Austrian fortress (yet), so will need to remember to remove the VP marker for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.