1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Best Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate B.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Which of the expansions do you think is the best? I wanted to get at least one maybe two of the big expansions and some miniature packs so I could have more characters and terrain. I currently only have the core set. I noticed the Hoth expansion had a higher price point on CoolStuffInc than the other two big expansions currently released. Which expansion is the best and which one do people think is the weakest of the three currently out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Beep! Boop!
badge
Boop! Boing!
mbmbmbmbmb
natebost wrote:
Which of the expansions do you think is the best? I wanted to get at least one maybe two of the big expansions and some miniature packs so I could have more characters and terrain. I currently only have the core set. I noticed the Hoth expansion had a higher price point on CoolStuffInc than the other two big expansions currently released. Which expansion is the best and which one do people think is the weakest of the three currently out?

The Hoth expansion is a full campaign (10 missions including side missions) and the other 2 are smaller and have less content. (4 missions, no side missions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different, so hard to say. Return to Hoth feels like easier time for the rebels when played with Precision Training, but the full campaign is a few missions too long for my taste and the minicampaigns provide shorter alternatives. (Extensible with house rules.)

So, are you looking to buff rebels or the imperial?

Jabba's Realm will probably be the best expansion released if you can wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate B.
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm more looking for more characters and locations to add to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I think the twin suns and bespin expansions are better than the hoth one. I have them all and have played them all.

Also, the Jabba's palace coming out next year looks like it could be the best one yet. It has a freaking rancor for crying out loud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Word on the street is that the newer expansions have better/more varied mission design. I have only just completed core campaign and half way through a run at Twin Shadows though.

For me, theme drives my purchases and I have seen all as essential especially with the incoming Rancor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hoth technically has the most content (similar to Jabba) but it's less adaptable to other campaigns. For instance, most Hoth missions (and by proxy the snow tiles, which also brings in both Wampas) are ONLY playable in Return to Hoth, outside of a few side missions. On the other hand, small box expansions can be entirely added to your other campaigns as side missions.

I'd say Bespin is the best. I'm not too big of a fan of the Imperial troops in it (Wing Guards are pretty boring, in my opinion) buy it has some great tiles/ missions, and the heroes are pretty fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies here. My group is nearing the end of our first Core campaign and while we will play again with different roles, the Core campaign is very long. Knowing which expansions to buy to keep things fresh is good to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
a few people have said jabba's may be the best expansion yet... any reason why? just wondering if this feedback is based on some playtesting or if it's based purely on what they think of the new character info posted by ffg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's quite a lot of information already revealed through all of the preview articles, including the latest Designer diary article revealing a few welcome tweaks to the campaign.

A Step Above Scum - the third preview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jmdgls wrote:
a few people have said jabba's may be the best expansion yet... any reason why? just wondering if this feedback is based on some playtesting or if it's based purely on what they think of the new character info posted by ffg.

Well, the new heroes look really interesting, and the new units look great (jet troopers, rancor, Gammoreans... the dev diary even sold me on the Weequay!)

Add to that iconic characters like Jabba and Jedi Luke, as well as Dewback rider and some Rebel commandos...

The tiles look really interesting, too. We're going to visit some iconic spots, like the Sarlaac pit and Jabba's Palace, but it looks like we'll also get a good degree of variety in the planets we visit- which seems to have been an issue with Return to Hoth.

So, it might be too early to tell, but it seems like Jabba's Palace might tell a tighter story than the core campaign, but will be more varied that Return to Hoth. Best of both worlds, we hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played a lot of skirmish tests with cards revealed from Jabba's Palace (which is most everything at this point), I'm very excited about the expansion's skirmish potential (Rancor!).

They're saying a lot of good things with respect to their goals in the campaign too, though I play campaign much less.

If you have a limited budget, I'd day hold your money for Jabba.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm sad to see Hoth not getting any love. Don't leave it out in the cold!

Seriously though, I loved the Hoth campaign. The campaign missions had great variety. The strict round limits were often replaced with ramping up the difficulty as the mission went on. The imperials also got a mission with objectives instead of the heroes. They were some great and well balanced missions. The main drawback is in having three missions that are played every campaign and the bane/boon system. Both of these create problems when playing through multiple times as it leads to playing the same missions (Honestly, this can easily be house-ruled away anyway).

Get Hoth and all its excellent missions and imperial troops now. It's cheaper than Jabba and will let you start a new campaign that much sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the heroes from Bespin Gambit more interesting and the heroes from Twin Shadows less interesting (also a bit on the weaker side).

I'd probably say Bespin Gambit and Jabba's Palace. Jabba is just based on what I've heard (interview with dev), released info and just a general idea that they developers get better over time as they learn from their mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
Overall, I'd go with Hoth as the best. The sheer amount of content easily trumps the other expansions, and it's well worth the price increase. The missions are of excellent quality, and do a very good job of breaking up typical patterns in the vanilla missions.

Twin Shadows is my second favorite, mostly because I think its missions are also very well structured. Its extra heroes, imperial/scum units, and items are all fine- nothing amazing, but definitely not bad to have.

I was actually a little bit frustrated by the Bespin expansion. The new heroes and items are fine, but I was disappointed with the units - the wing guards and ugnaughts are heavy on the micromanagement and just not very much fun to play. I was also pretty disappointed with the missions, which, while interesting, seem very demanding on the rebels and lack the creativity I really like about RtH and TS.

That said, they're all fine investments that improve on an already great game. Do a bit of research, figure out which one appeals to you the most, and you'll likely be happy with whatever you get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob J
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So basically you can buy bigger expansion, and there are some miniatures, but there are also just plain tokens, which can be upgraded to full experience when single mini expansion is bought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each boxed expansion comes with some deployment groups that are represented by tokens. If you don't want to play with tokens, you can get those figures and some additional content by getting their own figure expansions.

There are also "reinforcement waves" (so far wave 3, 4 and 7) whose deployment cards or tokens are not available from the boxed expansions. BGG IA Community Wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
jawohl wrote:
So basically you can buy bigger expansion, and there are some miniatures, but there are also just plain tokens, which can be upgraded to full experience when single mini expansion is bought?

For example, I just bought the Hoth expansion, but no way I'm going to let Princess Leia be a carboard token, so I bought the Princess Leia expansion pack which has her miniature in it.

Every figure pack always gives you at least one side mission and two new skirmish missions (and map), plus some other campaign cards and skirmish command cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
jawohl wrote:

For example, I just bought the Hoth expansion, but no way I'm going to let Princess Leia be a carboard token, so I bought the Princess Leia expansion pack which has her miniature in it.

Every figure pack always gives you at least one side mission and two new skirmish missions (and map), plus some other campaign cards and skirmish command cards.

And sometimes item cards, too.

In fact, that's why I like the Inquisitor and Obi Wan figure packs so much. Don't mind having that electrostaff and Ancient Lightsaber in my hero's purchase pool at Tier III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Plus, the miniatures are a blast to paint. I buy them all to paint them. I rarely ever play the game. I love it but just don't get as much chance as I would like. I buy them all to collect and paint mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Plus, the miniatures are a blast to paint. I buy them all to paint them. I rarely ever play the game. I love it but just don't get as much chance as I would like. I buy them all to collect and paint mostly.

Seconded. I just started painting a few weeks ago, actually. I'm no pro by any means, but even a decent coat of paint on the minis really makes the table come to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob J
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
jawohl wrote:

Yeah I get it and fully support !

So, which miniatures are not included in the Core set and available to purchase separately? If I'm willing to have a full core set experience with 100% minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jawohl wrote:
So, which miniatures are not included in the Core set and available to purchase separately? If I'm willing to have a full core set experience with 100% minis?

See the waves from:
BGG IA Community Wiki
Each wave that has a boxed expansion have its associated figure expansions. For the core they are Han, Chewie, IG-88, Royal Guard Champion, General Weiss, and the generics Rebel Saboteurs and Rebel Troopers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Wave 1 minis are still not too hard to find, but they can run expensive. Han is about 20 bucks on Amazon right now, which is pretty high (usually they run around 8-12 USD for regularly sized figures).

I paid about 100 USD for the entire Wave 1 set of figure packs, which wasn't terrible for 7 figure packs, one of which contained the large Weiss pack- though I'm sure I could have found a much better deal if I'd bothered to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob J
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
jawohl wrote:

See the waves from:
BGG IA Community Wiki
Each wave that has a boxed expansion have its associated figure expansions. For the core they are Han, Chewie, IG-88, Royal Guard Champion, General Weiss, and the generics Rebel Saboteurs and Rebel Troopers.

Thanks!

This means that Wave 3 and Wave 4 expansions (Wookie Warriors or Bantha Rider) do not have their tokens in Twin Shadows and are separate expansions playable only in skirmish or in missions included only in their packs?

thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.