Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Should I wait for 2nd Edition in UK? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

In my eternal quest to find a game my wife will play that isn't called "Settlers of Catan", I'm liking the look of Dominion (especially after playing the iPad app).

The problem is that right now, the 2nd edition doesn't seem to have made it to the UK yet. Does anyone know when the 2nd edition will be available here - or if the two versions are close enough that it's not worth waiting?

Thanks

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay-wise, I can't see the new cards in the second edition making a huge difference - though my base game Dominion has been drowned in expansions for many years, so take that with a grain of salt.

But the new card designs for treasures, curses etc are a lot nicer than those in the first edition, and you will always be using those cards in your games whether you're playing just the base game or expansions. Purely aesthetic, obviously.

If you've waited this long, no harm in waiting a bit longer for the second edition. It can't be that far off being available in the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
On the other hand if you want the cards from 1st edition, that were replaced in 2nd edition, you may want to start with 1st edition now. Assuming upgrade packs will be available in the U.K. it's easier to upgrade 1st edition to a combined 1st/2nd edition than it is to get get the old 1st edition cards for 2nd edition.

As it doesn't look like there's going to be a "downgrade pack" I'd recommend getting the 1st edition cards while you still can, if you want them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is exactly what I've done. Well... I already had the base game, but the 2nd edition announcement was what prompted me to get the Intrigue expansion sooner.

And the thing is, it's great. If you're not a hardcore Dominion nut, I think you'd be very hard-pressed to figure out which are the "bad" cards and why, anyway. I'm not a hardcore Dominion nut. I'm enjoying playing with these 1st edition sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

I'm not a hard-core board gamer, so I guess I'm probably not going to notice much difference. I'll probably stick this on my Christmas wish list. Hopefully the 2nd edition will be out in time for that, but if not I won't hold on forever.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Condon-Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If anyone's interested, it's started dripping into UK shops now. It's still overpriced on Amazon, but I found it for £36 here: http://www.gadgetsvilleltd.co.uk/Dominion-2nd-Edition-p/1569...

So that's gone on my wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.