Subject: Custom Hero: The Cartographer. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Aashi Muarya was always finding things as a small child, lost pets, keys, anything. She earned a reputation in her small north Indian village as a blessed child. But when she started helping police find missing people and fleeing criminals better than search dogs people began to wonder who and what this child was.

Her abilities also gathered the attention of the local criminal element, but every time they tried to stop her she easily evaded them, as if she knew where they were at all times.

Eventually she was forced to flee her village, and she decided to explore the world. After all, she always knew where she was, what was around her and could even sense things farther away that always proved to be interesting.

At 15 she gained renown for discovering the tomb of an ancient king that had been buried for hundreds of years. She started working with famous archaeologists, giving incredible insights and exploring even the most dangerous of ruins with ease.

Now she has set off on her own, determined to use her abilities to help others, and keep the most powerful artifacts on the planet in the right hands.

--------

The Cartographer 25hp

Evade Danger
Power: Reduce the next damage dealt to a hero target by 2, if that damage is dealt by an environment target, prevent it instead.

Equipment: 6 cards

Tools of the Trade 3
Equipment, limited
Power: You may activate one Environment card end of turn effect now.

Survival Pack 3
Equipment, limited
The first time you draw a card each turn you may discard that card to draw a new one.
“I know it's in here somewhere, just give me a minute.”

Equipment, Relic: 4 cards

Hammurabi's Ledger 1
Equipment, Relic
When a non-hero target deals damage, you may have it deal the same damage to another target from its deck. If you do shuffle this card into your deck.
“All accounts will be balanced, all debts repaid.”

Aladdin's Lamp 1
Equipment Relic
At the End of your turn you may reveal and replace the top card of the environment deck.
At the Start of your turn, you may destroy this card to move an environment car in play to the bottom of its deck.
“This is of the old magic, where did you find it?”

The Star of India 1
Equipment, Relic
At any time you may remove this card from the game, if you do select a hero. Until the end of the turn that hero is immune to damage, and all their cards are indestructible.
“You think I’d let a stone this powerful sit in a museum?”

Tlotoxl’s Blade 1
Equipment, Relic
When this card is destroyed The Cartographer deals 1 target and herself 2 infernal damage.
Power: The Cartographer deals 1 target 2 melee, then either deals that target 1 infernal damage or regains 1 hp.
“The less you know of it, the better off you are.”

Ongoings: 14 cards

Expert Looter 3
Ongoing, limited
The first time an environment card enters play each turn you may draw a card.
(Cartographer holding artifact, pedestal peppered with darts)
"Not even a scratch!"

Turn the table 4
Ongoing
Play this card next to an environment card. End of turn effects on that card ignore hero targets and players.
If the card next to this card leaves play destroy this card.
(The Cartographer turning ancient stone table with writing on it)
"Now you should be fine, just stick to the right side of the room."

Set Up 4
Ongoing
When an environment card would deal damage to a hero target you may destroy this card to redirect that damage to a different target.
(Setting a trigger)
"I wouldn't want to be the next person walking into this room."

Got here first 3
Ongoing, limited
The first time an Environment card enters play each turn you may discard a card, if you do you may play a card.
(Villain opening empty treasure chest with note inside)
"Better luck next time. With love, The Cartographer."

One Shots: 16 cards

Circle Back 3
One-shot
Select two cards from the environment trash.
Put one on the top, and one on the bottom of the Environment deck.
(Cartographer and ally at intersection looking at map)
"Okay so maybe it is the second left."

Scavenge 3
One-shot
Draw 3 cards.
Discard 2 cards.
You may play a card.
(Cartographer looking through Skeleton's rucksack)
"Stealing from dead people? It's called Archeology."

Campfire Tales 4
One Shot
Each Hero Character Card regains 1hp.
Each player may draw a card.
(Campfire with heroes, Cartographer standing)
"So we were climbing out of the cave. . ."

Pressure Switch 3
One Shot
Destroy an environment card.
Put an Environment card into play from the Environment trash.
(Holding artifact, bag of sand on pedestal, red eyes glowing in background)
“They won’t even know it’s gone.”

Ancient Ambush 3
One Shot
Destroy a target with 4 or fewer HP.
Play the top card of the environment deck.
(bad guy hanging upside down from trap)
"Aw, and you almost got me too."

--------

The idea behind this deck is a character that explores interacting with the environment, and not just shutting it down as the theme of the deck. the hardest part is making sure she works with every deck at a reasonably equal level.
Turn the Tables and Tools of the Trade can lead to some incredibly powerful effects, which is why I made it require multiple cards to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really like this deck. It is both unique in style, interesting in theory, and (From looking at it) functional in gameplay. I do feel the deck needs a way of searching for these amazing relic cards, maybe change "Expert Looter" to when an environment card is destroyed, search your deck for a relic kinda thing. Just an idea. You have so many cool relics and besides a little draw, no way to search for them, for a character who always knows where things are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Jaggid88 wrote:
I really like this deck. It is both unique in style, interesting in theory, and (From looking at it) functional in gameplay. I do feel the deck needs a way of searching for these amazing relic cards, maybe change "Expert Looter" to when an environment card is destroyed, search your deck for a relic kinda thing. Just an idea. You have so many cool relics and besides a little draw, no way to search for them, for a character who always knows where things are.

Building on what Jaggid88 said I have a "few" suggestions. Please feel free to ignore any of them.

The Relics are great but given that they are real world items there isn't duplicates of them. Can I suggest making them limited?
If you add in Jaggid88's suggested change to Expert Looter, drop them to one each in the deck you could add more of them to widen the variety of stuff she can do.

I also note there's no environment destruction in the deck, is that intentional?

I think this needs some play testing but she appears to be very environment dependent and with some she may not have any way to effect the villains at all (trying to think of examples but not fully awake yet). Can I suggest adding cards that make environment targets do damage to villian targets so she has some effect on the main game which is beating the boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faceontoast wrote:
Jaggid88 wrote:

Building on what Jaggid88 said I have a "few" suggestions. Please feel free to ignore any of them.

The Relics are great but given that they are real world items there isn't duplicates of them. Can I suggest making them limited?
If you add in Jaggid88's suggested change to Expert Looter, drop them to one each in the deck you could add more of them to widen the variety of stuff she can do.

I also note there's no environment destruction in the deck, is that intentional?

I think this needs some play testing but she appears to be very environment dependent and with some she may not have any way to effect the villains at all (trying to think of examples but not fully awake yet). Can I suggest adding cards that make environment targets do damage to villian targets so she has some effect on the main game which is beating the boss.
Faceontoast raise another point inadvertently. You are mostly reliant on the environment deck, so maybe you should add a card to play more cards of the environment deck to get out more options for yourself. Maybe call it Searching the Area or Exploring or something of the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really cool. I love cards that mess with drawing, like Survival Pack, Star of India has given me great ideas for another deck of mine, and this is just a really solid take on "hero who interacts with the environment in different ways from the Naturalist".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the feedback.

She intentionally has no destruction, but Aladdin's Lamp gives that kind of effect, often better.

The worst environment deck for end of turn effects is Realm of Discord and Wagner Mars base. Rook City that power is really good because of Dr. Tremata and Tony Taurus.

She had a power to play the top card of the environment deck, and I was debating some different effects to tie with it but I took the card out because of the interactions you get with Expert Looter and Got here first can make your turns really long and complicated.

I've considered more relics, single copy of each and some really strong effects, but I don't want a search card, her draw power is really strong.

For example a mirror that redirects all damage dealt by one env. card for a turn then destroys itself, the play the top card power, and several others.

That build was heavily based on throwing relics into and out of play and the rest of her deck was mostly about getting them, it could end up going back that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Phantaskippy wrote:
She intentionally has no destruction, but Aladdin's Lamp gives that kind of effect, often better.
Is the Lamp supposed to say "environment card in play"?

She does feel a little Mara-ish with 4 relics/2 of each. Any reason for those numbers?

Also, seems a bit low on ways to do damage; the Blade is her only direct damage, and there are only 2 other cards I see (Setup and Ledger) that utilize environment damage to your ends. Tools of the Trade only helps if an environment card hits villain targets, and could range between good to underwhelming/useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I first thought the Lamp was meant to bottom-deck the card you just peeked at on the top of the deck. After Bishop's query, I'm thinking it meant to bottom-deck an in-play card. Care to clear it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Cool hero, messes with the environment in a very different way to just destroying it or stacking the deck visionary style. I really like the idea of the Relics too, interesting and unique cards.

Some notes...
Phantaskippy wrote:
Turn the table 3
Ongoing
Play this card next to an environment card. End of turn effects on that card ignore hero targets and players.
If the card next to this card leaves play destroy this card.

For Turn the Table, when it says "ignore" hero targets and players does it mean that it won't damage them/make them discard/whatever, or that it won't target them? As an example, say we have a Kraken out, a 3 HP Platform bot and a 5 HP Blade Batallion. Does the Kraken ignore the lowest HP Platform bot and whack the Batallion, or does it go for the Platform Bot and be nullified?

Turn the Tables does seem like it could be pretty crazy with the right card - for example if Char was out, he's now a free 4 damage to every villain target every turn (more if he has rogues out). Swinging Blades and Oxygen leak could be equally nuts. Maybe if it destroyed the environment it was by at the start of your turn, it could still be pretty strong without giving you such amazing help turn after turn with the right environment card?

For the Relics, you mentioned you don't like having search cards, but if you want to have one of each for flavour reasons, I quite like the way Tosx had Cypher handle the Augs - Cypher only has 5 x 1 Augs, but he has Heuristic algorithm that finds the first one in your deck - it doesn't let you SEARCH, but it does give you fairly reliable access to a relic without needing lots of copies of theoretically unique relics in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Yep. I first thought the Lamp was meant to bottom-deck the card you just peeked at on the top of the deck. After Bishop's query, I'm thinking it meant to bottom-deck an in-play card. Care to clear it up?

I was trying to be clever and let it do either, but I think moving one in play is the better option.

I'm designing some more relics and thinking about going to the 8 unique relics option, which may indeed end with a search card going into the deck, and it would be a reveal to find the first kind of search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds really neat. Got ideas on any historical relics in particular? Sheath of Excalibur, Bow of Odysseus, Book of the Dead (Egyptian, not Necronomicon from Evil Dead), are some fun ideas. Use what you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you'll need to make Aladdin's Lamp trigger at discrete times (like at the end of any turn or such). It seems like there would be a lot of timing issues if you're allowed to destroy Aladdin's Lamp at any time you want. Same with Star of India.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thoughts on changing to more relics with unique effects:

I'd want to move most of the effects you use throughout the game to her relics, and add some card to speed up her deck.

To make room for the following cards, cut Turn the Tables and Set up, reduce all Relics to 1 copy each and drop Campfire tales and Scavenge to 3 copies each.

Let me know what you think!

Mirror of Jingu
You may destroy this card at any time. If you do, select an environment card, redirect damage dealt by that card to targets of your choice until the end of the turn.

He’s Compass
Power: Reveal the top two cards of the Environment Deck, put one into play and put the other on the bottom of the Environment deck.
When a target enters play this way it deals a target 2 melee damage. Otherwise draw a card and play a card.

Helskor of the outlaw
Equipment, Relic
Power: Shuffle up to 3 cards from the environment trash into the environment deck. Draw a card for each card shuffled into the Environment deck this way.

Armor of Karna
Equipment, Relic
When a hero target would be dealt 3 or more damage, you may destroy this card to prevent that damage.

Pashupatastra
Equipment, Relic
Power: Destroy a target with 5 or fewer HP, then destroy this card.

Staff of Moshe
Equipment Relic
Increase damage dealt by hero targets by 1.
Decrease damage dealt to hero targets by 1.
At the start of your turn destroy this card.

4 Right of Discovery.
One-shot
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until a relic card is revealed.
Put that relic into play and discard the other revealed cards.
You may shuffle your trash into your deck.

3 Sixth Sense
One-shot
Reveal and Replace the top card of the Environment deck.
Shuffle all relics in your trash into your deck.
You may use a power now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
As for the "at any time" wording, The reason for it is I want the effect to last until the end of a turn, be able to react to cards entering play and also start of turn effects that were in play before it.

I changed Aladdin's Lamp, was intended to also happen at end of turn, but I separated the effects to try and cause less confusion, and also for some mechanical reasons.

I don't see any particular timing problems with Star of India or Mirror of Jingu, but if I run into any (or anyone comes up with one) I am open to changing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phantaskippy wrote:
As for the "at any time" wording, The reason for it is I want the effect to last until the end of a turn, be able to react to cards entering play and also start of turn effects that were in play before it.

I changed Aladdin's Lamp, was intended to also happen at end of turn, but I separated the effects to try and cause less confusion, and also for some mechanical reasons.

I don't see any particular timing problems with Star of India or Mirror of Jingu, but if I run into any (or anyone comes up with one) I am open to changing it.

For Mirror of Jingu you could just make it "whenever an environment card would deal damage you may destroy this card (etc)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could even make it "When an environment target enters play, you may destroy this card to redirect all its damage to another target until the end of this turn" or somesuch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right of Discovery might be more interesting to reveal until 2 Relics are revealed. Put one into play, the other atop the deck, and place all other revealed cards on the deck (in the order you choose/shuffled).

This gives limited choice, while also bringing out the character trait of knowing where things are. Also, the second Relic to be revealed is just as deep when you're done as when you started.

I don't think that choosing the order to replace the cards is too strong for this deck, but it might be really time-consuming and randomizing (as Kismet does with non-Jinx cards) may just be better. Otherwise, you could just bottom-deck all but the chosen Relic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
...while also bringing out the character trait of knowing where things are.
Personally, I think her "finding" power is more thematically interesting than "person with a bunch of relics that have powers which aren't actually related to hers". Which doesn't seem to be the direction the deck is headed, but in that spirit, here's an ongoing idea that just popped through my head:
Quote:
Mark (Ongoing, Limited)
Whenever you would place a card on the top of a deck, you may place it on the bottom of that deck instead, or vice versa.
Might be useless (without some self-synergy) or OP. Another idea:
Quote:
Track (Ongoing)
When this card enters play, select 1 card from from within any deck. Turn that card face up without changing its location in that deck.
Increase damage dealt by environment cards by 1 to targets that share keywords with face up cards in any deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that Mark effect. Very new. Much interaction.

Track is strange. Would you not need to search the deck for said card and shuffle afterward? I'm certain the intent wasn't to know the exact order of every card. Shuffling with an upside-down card has been done with Ambuscade, but man, it's too easy to know when you're shuffling that card higher or lower in the deck. I try to do it with eyes closed, but it's bothersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Track is strange. Would you not need to search the deck for said card and shuffle afterward?
Spur-of-the-moment idea and probably not well worded, but the thought was pick a card, i.e. "I want to reveal the bottom card of the villain deck" or "I want to reveal the third card from the top of the environment deck". Revealing it would let you know where in the deck that card was until it got played.

Offhand I don't think face-up cards in decks would mess with any existing mechanics, and if you really wanted to you could run with that, giving her multiple cards that gave effects tied to face-up keywords in various decks.

I am not advocating for or against that, but it does strike me as different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Lots of great stuff here.

Mirror can definitely change to when a card would deal damage. That works better.

I like some of the stacking ideas, but I don't like adding a lot of though time to the deck, because it gives incentive to slow the game down significantly for very little real gain.

Mark has a lot of potential. Would need a few changes to the deck to make it a really cool card, and I'll look into that.

Personally, I think her "finding" power is more thematically interesting than "person with a bunch of relics that have powers which aren't actually related to hers". Which doesn't seem to be the direction the deck is headed. . .

I agree with this. I want it to be a good balance of her power and the relics she finds. I'll keep working on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking forward to the Cartographer 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to chime in and say that this deck looks very interesting. It is cool to see a deck interacting with the environment in another way than just destroying cards. For instance, Wrest the Mind on The Kraken is one of my favorites...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
It's coming, might take a bit with play testing GtG stuff looking like it might be getting heavy soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Latest version.

Dropped relics to 1 copy each, added 2 new cards, Pressure switch and Ancient Ambush.

(the original version only had 38 cards, don't know how I messed that up)

I like where she is a lot right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.