Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Captain Boardgame for posting the rules and images for a Mini Expansion of six tactic terrain cards we NonPreOrderers never got,in the Images section here. Since each is only one sentence long and once drawn becomes face up and common, there is no reason one can't just make up dummy cards and place two in each Tactic Terrain Deck at start as noted. They provide additional scoring if completed, some by one, some possibly by more than one player, based mostly on terrain held at the end of the game.

I'm posting this here because I don't always scan through the Image section, and therefore never heard about it. I personally don't like not having everything available to me a company makes for a game, but this is an easy fix for us regular retail customers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
They are also quite interesting to play with, so another good reason to go for dummy cards or things like that. Since they are placed within their respective terrain tactic decks, you might need to use opaque card protectors to prevent knowing in advance that one is coming, but i guess that's a given with self-printing stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewert Bellingan
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I pre-ordered but didn't receive the mini-expansion cards when my game arrived. Been trying to get hold of Portal to try and sort it out but with Essen going on they have yet to respond to any of my communications...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ewertb wrote:
I pre-ordered but didn't receive the mini-expansion cards when my game arrived. Been trying to get hold of Portal to try and sort it out but with Essen going on they have yet to respond to any of my communications...

i pre ordered the game as well but didnt get any. does it matter if you pre ordered it through them or another company? maybe they will become available through the BGG store

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Thanks to Captain Boardgame for posting the rules and images for a Mini Expansion of six tactic terrain cards we NonPreOrderers never got,in the Images section here. Since each is only one sentence long and once drawn becomes face up and common, there is no reason one can't just make up dummy cards and place two in each Tactic Terrain Deck at start as noted. They provide additional scoring if completed, some by one, some possibly by more than one player, based mostly on terrain held at the end of the game.

I'm posting this here because I don't always scan through the Image section, and therefore never heard about it. I personally don't like not having everything available to me a company makes for a game, but this is an easy fix for us regular retail customers.

I'll scan and post them tonight.

Klaxas wrote:
ewertb wrote:

i pre ordered the game as well but didnt get any. does it matter if you pre ordered it through them or another company? maybe they will become available through the BGG store

I think it was a Portal exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

If you can post them in the Files section, I might be able to use the images directly. That would be great.

There's no reason to hide them. If they come up, they are just placed face up for all to use, and you pick another card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Even if the objectives are for all players to achieve, i feel that the reason to hide them is that players don't know if or when one is coming or not on the next card drawn, especially at the start of the game if an objective card is on top of a deck.

As a terrain deck is being exhausted, odds increase that the terrain-specific objective cards get drawn, but you don't know exactly when and i think it may add suspense at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also if you know what the objectives are for the terrain decks and you know your opponents are in a better position to score from them, you might not want to reveal the objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
Jason,

If you can post them in the Files section, I might be able to use the images directly. That would be great.

There's no reason to hide them. If they come up, they are just placed face up for all to use, and you pick another card.

I sent a note to Portal asking permission to post them. I'll upload them as soon as I hear back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
Is there a file somewhere with these images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw an interview with Portal at Essen on youtube, where the staffer said they are giving out "8 Promo Cards." Are these the same?

Also, rereading the description of the Aftermath expansion, it seems it will include them. Of course, making up dummies will allow us to play with them sooner...

Grant, can you let us know what's up with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oak and Graham,

At first, I was thinking that a way to 'hide' the new 'dummy' cards would to physically keep them out of the decks, and just roll a die on each turn when a player picks from that particular terrain deck, to see if you draw one of them. The problem is, as is mentioned above, the odds would become greater as other cards are chosen from the (now 10 card) deck. Of course, you could make the die roll needed change as you went along!

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
crashmonkey wrote:
Is there a file somewhere with these images?

Chevee wrote me back and pointed out that the cards have been posted all along! Here they are:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had a need to say anything. These are the 8 objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked Chevee if the originals of these cards would be included in Aftermath. His answer:

No. Sorry.
They will be available from our webstore or at conventions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Regan
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
I asked Chevee if the originals of these cards would be included in Aftermath. His answer:

No. Sorry.
They will be available from our webstore or at conventions.

Glad to hear we will be able to get them from the web store. Hopefully soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
Oak and Graham,

At first, I was thinking that a way to 'hide' the new 'dummy' cards would to physically keep them out of the decks, and just roll a die on each turn when a player picks from that particular terrain deck, to see if you draw one of them. The problem is, as is mentioned above, the odds would become greater as other cards are chosen from the (now 10 card) deck. Of course, you could make the die roll needed change as you went along!

Any thoughts?

I think that managing the odds of an objective appearing can add suspense at the end of a game. Say for example you are in the lead by a semi-comfortable margin. You would want a mountain card...but then you know that one objective is left to be drawn and there's only 2 cards left in that deck (machines and their mountains...). You know that the objective left could lead to a contested victory with those humans, so before you draw that card, you instead move to seize more mountains knowing that you or another player will likely pop the objective next turn and grant more VP to the owner of most mountains.

Another situation would be someone holding a bunch of jungle regions, and even though he might not need to recruit, he might actively want to hunt more jungle cards to get an objective up in the hopes of scoring more VP for his regions.

Lastly, someone just behind the leader might be unable to affect the score at the end of the game...but drawing those objectives could be one last ditch effort, and the odds of that happening, and what deck to get cards from, will vary depending on the game. So he might actually draw cards from decks he has no use for, in the hopes that an objective pops and close the gap with the leader.

We liked these kind of ideas so we simply went ahead and stuffed the objective cards in the terrain decks

P.S. The rule insert also states that should you pick an objective, it's immediately put in the play area, visible to everyone, and you re-draw another card. So there's no "loss" of a card for the player who gets it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.