$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

K2» Forums » Variants

Subject: Back to BC, frostbite, avalanches, oxygen, ropes etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Alain Grunchec
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
This is a set of thematic variants.

The "long" avalanche variants takes a bit of time during a very bad weather spell tile, but otherwise the game plays almost as fast as usual.

Must go back to base camp alive.

On the 19th day (end of game), for each climber, if the acclimatization level is below the flag value (number corresponding to height), the climber is considered too weak or far from Base camp to make it back alive. The climber is considered to be dead.

Frostbite

If the climber survives, add +1 acclimation point to each climber. Then calculate the difference between his final acclimatization value and the flag value (height points) of the space where he is. The climber is considered to survive but be more or less severely frostbitten. Remove the difference from scored points.

Additional Summit points

To reflect the greater difficulty of reaching the summit alive, climbers who reached the summit get a +2 score. Climber who reached 8000 m mark but did not reach the summit get a +1 score. These are scored only if climbers survive to base camp (see rule above).

Avalanches

Set up: At the start of the game, place an “avalanche token” (use cubes, counters, or pencil marks) on each space above 6,000 m for space whose entry cost is exactly 2.

Adjustment phase: snow and natural avalanches

After the adjustment phase, on spaces where the basic, *unmodified* entry cost is 2 (not 3), if there is some snow on the weather tile at the altitude of the space (weather cost 2 acclimatization points), an “avalanche token” (use cube or counters, or pencil mark) is placed on the space. If there is no snow for that day, an “avalanche token” is taken away from the space, if there is any.

Then, starting from bottom to top (tiles with the same flag value are considered at the same level), and then left to right, a test is carried to check if an avalanche is triggered where there is an avalanche token (see below for avalanche test and effect).

You may use a coin to remember the space where the test is currently run.
Moving through a space where there is at least one avalanche token
If a climber effectively enters a space where there is at least one avalanche token during the action phase, an avalanche test is immediately triggered on that space.

Testing an avalanche

If there is at least one avalanche token in the space where the test is carried out, roll a D6 for that space. If the number obtained is equal or below the number of avalanche token, an ongoing avalanche is triggered. All climbers on the space are dead, tents and ropes/ladders (see below) removed. All avalanche tokens are also removed from the space.

When an avalanche test fails, all markers stay on the space (including avalanche token).

Furthermore, add an avalanche token to any space “below” (immediately connected with a flag value strictly lower than the flag value of the avalanche token). Avalanche do not propagate to connected places with the same flag value even if they appear lower on the map.

Do note that later on during this phase, an avalanche test will have to be carried out on those spaces, but don’t run the test just yet (this is called “propagation”). So place the new avalanche token just outside the circle of the space as a reminder that you need to run the test later on. The new avalanche token can be placed in any space (even lower than 6000 m, even If the entry cost is not 2).

First, if there are other avalanche tests to be carried out at the same level, for the same ongoing avalanche, they have to be run before running avalanche test at a lower level (a level=set of spaces with the same flag value).

When all avalanche tests have been run at the same level for the same “ongoing avalanche”, for any spaces below where at least one avalanche token has been added (with an avalanche token just outside the circle), another avalanche test has to be run.

If an avalanche is triggered on that space, then all tokens are removed and the avalanche is propagated below. If not, the avalanche tokens outside the space circles are moved inside.

This process needs to continue until the avalanche is exhausted (no “avalanche test” has been successful for a particular avalanche on the last level)
However, please note that if there is an avalanche test in this phase to be carried out at the same level (same flag value), this avalanche test needs to be carried out before any test on lower spaces.

Shorter version for faster play.

Set up: At the start of the game, place an “avalanche token” (use cubes, counters, or pencil marks) on each space above 6,000 m for space whose entry cost is exactly 2.

During an action phase, when a climber effectively enters a space where there is an avalanche token, a D6 is rolled, on 1 the climber, and all other climbers on the space is killed, and any tent in the space removed.
Furthermore just before the adjustment phase, on any space where there is a climber or a tent and an avalanche token, roll a D6 and on 1, the climbers are killed and the tents discarded.

At the start of the adjustment phase, remove all avalanche token.
On spaces where the entry cost is 2 and there is some snow at this altitude, put an avalanche token.

Oxygen, ropes & ladders, special abilities

As the rules above make it harder to reach the summit, and remain alive, it may be good for balanced reason to add several “thematic” ways to help climbers reach the summit.

Furthermore, as avalanche risk may force alpinist to shelter on more exposed sections, new actions are entitled.

Ropes and ladders


Climbers can set ropes and ladders. Setting up a rope/ladder has the same cost as setting up a tent. Several rope/ladders can be set on a space (use “rope tokens”, which can be cubes, counters or pencil marks).
Each rope/ladder token reduce the cost of moving through a space by one for each token, to a minimum of one.

For gaming purpose, ropes and ladders can be used by any climber, they do not belong to a particular climber.

Agreements can be passed between players so that they cooperate to set up rope and ladders (for instance if the bad weather above prevent them from moving and there is nothing better to do than facilitate future climbs or descents), although no agreement is binding.

Oxygen

When leaving a tent (effectively quitting the space where the tent is) above the 7000m mark, an alpinist may decide to take an oxygen bottle. If so, he gains immediately +2 acclimatization points. It can be done for each alpinist only once in the game. At the end of the game, alpinists who have reached the summit without having taken this action (using oxygen), and have survived the entire game score +3 additional points.

When scoring points at the end of the game, in case of a tie between players, climbers who reached the summit without oxygen take precedence over those who climbed with it (so in a tie, the player with the first climber who reached the summit without oxygen wins).

Special tactical ability

The aim of this set of rules is to make the game more thematic, rather than more difficult. However, it is likely that avalanche will make it harder to reach the summit, especially with “winter” weather tiles.
Therefore to help the players, if there are less than 5 players, each of the player can select one card of another, unused, player stack. This card can be played once per game during the action phase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jagr wrote:


Frostbite

If the climber survives, add +1 acclimation point to each climber. Then calculate the difference between his final acclimatization value and the flag value (height points) of the space where he is. The climber is considered to survive but be more or less severely frostbitten. Remove the difference from scored points.

I don't get this one. The more acclimation points the climber has, the more points he loses from his score?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etagimbo wrote:
jagr wrote:


Frostbite

If the climber survives, add +1 acclimation point to each climber. Then calculate the difference between his final acclimatization value and the flag value (height points) of the space where he is. The climber is considered to survive but be more or less severely frostbitten. Remove the difference from scored points.

I don't get this one. The more acclimation points the climber has, the more points he loses from his score?

I suppose there is an unintentional negation in the described formula, and it means calculate the difference (flag value - acclimatization), then subtract that from their score.

But hmm, this seems equivalent to simply saying "Their final score becomes their acclimatization level." E.g. if my flag value is 4 and my acclimatization is 6, then (4-6) = -2, and subtracting that from my flag value gives 6, the acclimatization. So maybe the further intent is to subtract that difference from their score only if that difference is positive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jagr wrote:
Additional Summit points

To reflect the greater difficulty of reaching the summit alive, climbers who reached the summit get a +2 score. Climber who reached 8000 m mark but did not reach the summit get a +1 score. These are scored only if climbers survive to base camp (see rule above).


Surely the game's inbuilt scoring covers this?

You get 10 points for hitting the summit and if your climber dies all points are lost. If you houserule that a climber is dead if they are not at a safe place at the end of the game, then there is no need for this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard Mueller
Germany
Gauting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
jagr wrote:
Additional Summit points

To reflect the greater difficulty of reaching the summit alive, climbers who reached the summit get a +2 score. Climber who reached 8000 m mark but did not reach the summit get a +1 score. These are scored only if climbers survive to base camp (see rule above).


Surely the game's inbuilt scoring covers this?

You get 10 points for hitting the summit and if your climber dies all points are lost. If you houserule that a climber is dead if they are not at a safe place at the end of the game, then there is no need for this.


how do you define a safe place?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etagimbo wrote:
Tim RTC wrote:
jagr wrote:
Additional Summit points

To reflect the greater difficulty of reaching the summit alive, climbers who reached the summit get a +2 score. Climber who reached 8000 m mark but did not reach the summit get a +1 score. These are scored only if climbers survive to base camp (see rule above).


Surely the game's inbuilt scoring covers this?

You get 10 points for hitting the summit and if your climber dies all points are lost. If you houserule that a climber is dead if they are not at a safe place at the end of the game, then there is no need for this.


how do you define a safe place?


At the point where there are no acclimation penalties.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.