Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Martínez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When attacking in Close Combat with a Japanese Grenade Discharger Unit:
- Adds +4AR (since, unlike other mortar units, that one doesn't have a white box around its AR), AND
- CC is resolved against the flank of the enemy (because of Close Combat AND High Explosible Attack, 13.3), AND
- If the enemy has a red colored flank Defense Rating, doesn't receive Light or Heavy Jungle Terrain DM bonuses (because of Air Burst, 13.4).

Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what the rules imply by my reading, mainly because this unit does not have a minimum range.

However, if this unit had a minimum range then CC would be allowed, but probably does not involve explosive shells, and would be light arms fire. Hence the Air Burst and High Explosive rules of section 13 would not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martínez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see your point, but I can't find any statement anywhere in the rules about not applying Air Burst o HE Rules in CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say don't apply air burst for the unit in question as that has no minimum range limit.

However, for other range limited mortars it makes sense to me despite the rules. If Air Burst rule is new in Guadalcanal, that would explain why the other CC rule was not modified. The minimum range limit on other mortars is there because that is presumably the limit of the mortar, but IMO in CC they presumably use small arms fire instead.

Is it specifically in the rules? No. But I think it may be an unintended hole in the rules as a result of the new release. That's why I said "probably" and "implied".

Perhaps someone else recalls this being discussed before in the context of AtB/SoS or has additional insight that shoots my assumptions to pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martínez
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, got it. I misunderstood. Sorry.

As far as i know Air Burst is not new in Guadalcanal. What is new in CoH series is having a unit with HE Attack that has no minimun range limit AND that doesn't have a white box around his AR.

That last point (not having the white box) makes me think that the unit is fully capable of using the grenades in close combat. Therefore HE rules and Air Burst would apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except all units are going to be using grenades in close combat (surely the only time they would use them, outside rifle grenades or the knee mortars the dischargers carry) and they don't get airburst or HE?

I'm not saying you're wrong mechanically, but thematically there's not much difference between these and regular grenades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, does the Grenade Discharger even get the Air Burst bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt. Winters
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm..since there are no range limits it must mean it can be used in CC(50 m) and therefore I don't see any reason or rule to deny the Unit an Air Burst bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.