Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I come across a thread listing that asks for games with beautiful components that are mediocre at best this is my entry. Initially noticed since I'm interested in Medieval history the $10 (may have been $15) price tag did it for me. Praise be to FLGS clearance sales.

Needless to say the game was a chore get started because the rules are not very well done. The Mission examples are done as if there are two players while giving a cost example for four in the Excavation sidebox (pgs 8/9)....that sort of thing. You can work it out for the most part but you're always playing parts of this game with an attitude of: "I THINK we're doing it right!".

Anyway, I'm determined to get this game to work better and would encourage any input. It may take awhile. I want to playtest the ideas but don't want to play this every single gaming night doing it.

I will begin by re-presenting our Stacking Event variant which we came up with and will use in every subsequent game. This one is even playtested. Three or four times only but playtested!

AGE I: ONE random Province, Enemies, Transports, and Development card plus two more random cards shuffled into the top SIX to be drawn.

AGE II: Same except one of the two random cards to be one of the two Events

AGE III: Remove the Persecution Event card. ONE random Enemies, Development, Transport card and the Fall of Acre Event with two random cards in the top SIX. Return Persecution Event to be drawn randomly in the final FOUR cards.

There was nothing like drawing Transport and Donation/Prosperity cards with only France up and running on the board and us maybe getting our Commanderies going at the end of Age I to make this change. Most games now two Province cards are played by the end of turn 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
If I come across a thread listing that asks for games with beautiful components that are mediocre at best this is my entry. Initially noticed since I'm interested in Medieval history the $10 (may have been $15) price tag did it for me. Praise be to FLGS clearance sales.

Needless to say the game was a chore get started because the rules are not very well done. The Mission examples are done as if there are two players while giving a cost example for four in the Excavation sidebox (pgs 8/9)....that sort of thing. You can work it out for the most part but you're always playing parts of this game with an attitude of: "I THINK we're doing it right!".

Anyway, I'm determined to get this game to work better and would encourage any input. It may take awhile. I want to playtest the ideas but don't want to play this every single gaming night doing it.

I will begin by re-presenting our Stacking Event variant which we came up with and will use in every subsequent game. This one is even playtested. Three or four times only but playtested!

AGE I: ONE random Province, Enemies, Transports, and Development card plus two more random cards shuffled into the top SIX to be drawn.

AGE II: Same except one of the two random cards to be one of the two Events

AGE III: Remove the Persecution Event card. ONE random Enemies, Development, Transport card and the Fall of Acre Event with two random cards in the top SIX. Return Persecution Event to be drawn randomly in the final FOUR cards.

There was nothing like drawing Transport and Donation/Prosperity cards with only France up and running on the board and us maybe getting our Commanderies going at the end of Age I to make this change. Most games now two Province cards are played by the end of turn 3.

I like your idea of stacking the event cards appropriately. Having them random can really screw up, well, everything. Certain things just have to be open before any of the shipping lanes start kicking, so it makes sense to trigger some of the Province and Development cards near the top. It also doesn't make any sense to have the Persecution event popping in the first turn in Stage III.

Another thing that I think I read correctly, but I am not sure. It is my understanding that Resources can be "moved around" freely between Domuses in Phase 5. That gives me the impression that if you have a Domus in Jerusalem (i.e. your "board"), and then you also have a Domus somewhere else on the board, you can move coins and goods from one of those Domus to the other Domus without having to "transport" them - they just "move" there. Am I interpreting that right? Because that is how I would variant the game otherwise, as long as you have another Domus outside of Jerusalem. Heck, that's kind of how the Templars moved around anyway - they didn't "transport" the goods, they just had people sign "checks" and then cash those checks when they arrived at their destination - after all, the Templars essentially "invented" banking...

(I am going off of memory, as I have only sort of read the rules recently, and skimmed over some of the stuff because I didn't have a chance to finish reading them. But this is my recollection as to how the "reorganize goods" phase works.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid I can't contribute to this debate at present, but I applaud any attempt to resurrect this game from it's almost impenetrable rulebook. The theme is fascinating - indeed, prompting me to have spent more time reading about the Templars than attempting to discover the game which must be hidden somewhere within those rules.

I'll hang on to my copy of the game a while longer, watch this thread with interest, and wish you every success in your endeavours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as they did historically, as you pointed out, players can move Coins between their Domus(es?) (see pg 6, yellow box) but not Goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, I want to make everything work within the confines of the original box components. I'm not going to make up rules for say, "Leaders" and then suggest you go out and buy a knight miniature even if I had an idea for doing so (I don't).
I may change some components on my own. Notably changing the Enemies counters with colored beads or cubes. They're just too small.

The next stage is going to be commentary/observations about the game in general and a separate one about Relics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaz Berkowitz
United States
HIGHLAND PARK
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Any progress on this? It sounds like a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.