Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » General

Subject: Best way to play with two players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Has anyone tried two players with both two characters and four characters? I'm curious as to which is the preferred way to play. I know that with Pandemic, four characters can cover more ground, for example.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to know this, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both ways and I prefer one character each. The map is smaller than regular Pandemic and it's easier to trade cards so having only two investigators on the map is more of a challenge. It's also less fiddly because there is less to keep track of. Hope this helps.

googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played solo so far, but I've played a bunch of four character and two character games.

With four characters you have more flexibility in how you address the challenges; you can be in more places at once, and you have four abilities to make use of.

With two characters you have a hand limit of 14 cards to work with instead of 28, so you find yourself throwing away useful cards more often, which I hate. It's also much easier to lose the game through sanity loss. Those challenges are counterbalanced by each character having two summoning stages vs four until they get to act again, but I still find it more difficult to win with two characters.

For me, four characters is more enjoyable. The puzzle is more interesting and the game more flavourful, even if death by sanity loss almost never happens. (I really need to try three characters and see if that is the sweet spot.)

However, playing with two people taking two characters each, not everyone is going to enjoy playing that way. Some people will absolutely prefer the simplicity or roleplay aspects of one character per person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farydia Pseudo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 4 games so far, 2x 2p and 2x 4p - we won both 2p and lost both 4p. I think, although you can cover more ground with 4 than with 2 it's a bit harder with 4 investigators, because the set collection spreads across 4 people instead of 2 and that often makes meeting in the right spot with the right characters a more difficult puzzle. Also, if you have someone with an active ability it takes longer for them to be useful again (like the Occultist for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do seem to be in the minority in finding two characters more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Read
msg tools
Greeting All,

Got my box yesterday and played 4 games on the trot.
2 with 3 players, 2 with 2 players.

The 1st three player game we were completely thumped, and the 2nd seemed quite easy.

2 player, 1 character each and we found that it was difficult.
We lost both games (on standard level)

I'm looking forward to exploring more with 2 players, 1 character each.

With Pandemic 2 player/4 characters is nearly a prerequisite - especially as we play On the Brink, In The Lab and State of Emergency expansions all running at the same time.

Fred the Obscure,
Durban,
South Africa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.