$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Diplomacy» Forums » Variants

Subject: 1812 Overture: A Variant for Six Players, Twelve Powers, and Two Continents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how many Diplomacy people hang around BGG, but I figured I might put in a plug for a recent variant design of my own creation.

1812 Overture

If you are interested in the variant's background and playtesting thus far, I have a couple articles in Diplomacy World Issue 135 for you to peruse.

Resources

I do my best to keep this spreadsheet up-to-date with the latest rules:
http://tinyurl.com/1812-overture-diplomacy

And here's a copy in PDF (with additional information on my house rules for Play-By-Email games):
http://tinyurl.com/1812-overture-rules-1-3-1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an interesting variant, and a nice looking map. I enjoyed reading through your playtest summaries, as a variant designer and playtester myself. I'm all for people posting in the BGG Diplomacy forum, since the Diplomacy community seems pretty splintered. It's probably just one more splinter, but at least an easy-to-find splinter...

Have you found in playtesting that the random Detached Power allocation matters to balance? Or does the theatre split even it out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zurn wrote:
Looks like an interesting variant, and a nice looking map. I enjoyed reading through your playtest summaries, as a variant designer and playtester myself. I'm all for people posting in the BGG Diplomacy forum, since the Diplomacy community seems pretty splintered. It's probably just one more splinter, but at least an easy-to-find splinter...

Have you found in playtesting that the random Detached Power allocation matters to balance? Or does the theatre split even it out?

The question of "balance" (in regard to the detached powers) is a tricky one, since I don't have quite enough data to speak intelligently about it.

I know there are some balance issues with France at the moment, but that's independent of the power combinations.

What the detached combinations do provide is a pretty stark difference in player interaction. Certain pairings, like Denmark-Norway with Shawnee, can partially isolate British Diplomatic efforts by reducing the number of players immediately nearby.

My players so far, especially the repeat playtesters, have seemed to enjoy the differences from game-to-game. The ongoing playtest includes a Denmark-Norway pairing with New Spain, and that player has been growing a substantial naval force on both sides of the Atlantic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.