Hide
6 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Descent - Gauntlet/Challenge Varient rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Piskorowski
msg tools
So this year for Extra Life my friends and I will be running a Gauntlet version of Descent, or at least that's the plan. Has anyone done this before? I wasn't really able to find anything on it.

Here are my thoughts on the game so far:

- I want it to be beatable but not too easy.
- I want it to be playable with little prior knowledge of the game.
- I would like the whole mission to take a half hour (this is going to be tough)
- No classes, just the base characters with their skills.
- The character skills can be used once per room.
- The person playing will control two characters.
- 3 or 4 rooms with increasing difficulty (this will probably fight the 30 minute limit)
- A random search item in each room with a weapon or armor reward for clearing the room.
- I can't decide if I want to use overlord cards or just do a straight fight.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know. I will probably start putting something together over the next day or two and start play testing but if anyone has ideas I'm open to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's the purpose of the event? Is it for people to play and then make a donation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Piskorowski
msg tools
We're going to make it where people make a donation and then they get a chance to beat the Gauntlet. Then if the person finishes it they will either get a prize or be entered into a pool of people to win a prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Piskorowski
msg tools
So in spitballing ideas with a guy at work I thought of having all of the rooms pretty much lined up with a door between each one. Then after 3 rounds the door to room 2 will open and after 6 rounds the door to room 3 will open. The monsters will need to run up to the characters but it should at least keep the game moving at a very fast pace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
pabloescobear wrote:
So this year for Extra Life my friends and I will be running a Gauntlet version of Descent, or at least that's the plan. Has anyone done this before? I wasn't really able to find anything on it.

Here are my thoughts on the game so far:

- I want it to be beatable but not too easy.
- I want it to be playable with little prior knowledge of the game.
- I would like the whole mission to take a half hour (this is going to be tough)
- No classes, just the base characters with their skills.
- The character skills can be used once per room.
- The person playing will control two characters.
- 3 or 4 rooms with increasing difficulty (this will probably fight the 30 minute limit)
- A random search item in each room with a weapon or armor reward for clearing the room.
- I can't decide if I want to use overlord cards or just do a straight fight.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know. I will probably start putting something together over the next day or two and start play testing but if anyone has ideas I'm open to them.

(I am assuming Skills = Hero ability + Feat, and "once per room" refers to the Heroic Feat)

Overlord cards would probably be overkill, given the heroes have no Class skills to work with. If you want to tweak threat level of the monsters, you could roll a Yellow die on each one's activation and have them move additional spaces (on a Move action only) equal to the Range number, when they need to catch the heroes.

Some heroes will suffer for having no class skills. Some will be unaffected. Grisban the Thirsty for example would have a lot of trouble given his hero ability only works if he uses one action doing nothing productive. Widow Tarha would have a clear advantage over many in this scenario. Will you be setting aside a few heroes for would-be gauntleteers rather than having the entire pool to choose from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Piskorowski
msg tools
foxreinard wrote:

(I am assuming Skills = Hero ability + Feat, and "once per room" refers to the Heroic Feat)

Overlord cards would probably be overkill, given the heroes have no Class skills to work with. If you want to tweak threat level of the monsters, you could roll a Yellow die on each one's activation and have them move additional spaces (on a Move action only) equal to the Range number, when they need to catch the heroes.

Some heroes will suffer for having no class skills. Some will be unaffected. Grisban the Thirsty for example would have a lot of trouble given his hero ability only works if he uses one action doing nothing productive. Widow Tarha would have a clear advantage over many in this scenario. Will you be setting aside a few heroes for would-be gauntleteers rather than having the entire pool to choose from?

Yeah, I haven't played Descent in about 6 months so I forgot all of the exact terminology, but yes, that's what I meant.

I completely agree with you on some heroes having advantages. I was going to go through all of the ones I have and pick maybe one or two of each type for the challengers to pick. That way it gets rid of any useless ones.

I agree with the Overlord cards too. Through play testing up until Extra Life I should have a good idea on what I plan on doing. Maybe I'll play around with the dungeon builder tonight. It might make the whole process a bit easier.

Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.