Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game over 8 times, but yesterday was the first time I was the teacher and in charge of setting up the game as I was teaching it to new players. 2 of which who had never played vanilla pandemic or a coop before. I wasn't playing close enough attention and handed all the brown backed relic cards with the city cards to a player and asked them to shuffle them and deal 2 to each player. Then I made the 4 piles and created the draw deck.

It wasn't until one of us got to get a relic card from killing a shoggoth and I couldn't find any in the box that I realized my mistake. Because we were a bit short on time we just decided to play the game out as is.

We ended up losing on the turn before we would have closed the last gate.

Just how broken was this game? We had about 10 relic cards come out during the game and used about 3/4 of them during play. That also meant we had less city cards to close gates with.

Thinking back the evil stirs cards being so spread out helped us more than the relic cards - the board just never got that difficult to deal with.

Am I the only one who has made this mistake?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my first time playing this (solo) I almost made that mistake but caught myself when I reviewed the check list of set up.

Now after a few plays I still forget to collect a Relic card when I defeat a Shoggoth, oy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Now after a few plays I still forget to collect a Relic card when I defeat a Shoggoth, oy!

I, too have had this problem, so I started putting the Relic deck next to the Shoggoths or even UNDER one of the Shoggoths. That way, when I put a defeated Shoggoth back with the others off-board, I get some reminder. Works most of the time for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
I've played this game over 8 times, but yesterday was the first time I was the teacher and in charge of setting up the game as I was teaching it to new players. 2 of which who had never played vanilla pandemic or a coop before. I wasn't playing close enough attention and handed all the brown backed relic cards with the city cards to a player and asked them to shuffle them and deal 2 to each player. Then I made the 4 piles and created the draw deck.

It wasn't until one of us got to get a relic card from killing a shoggoth and I couldn't find any in the box that I realized my mistake. Because we were a bit short on time we just decided to play the game out as is.

We ended up losing on the turn before we would have closed the last gate.

Just how broken was this game? We had about 10 relic cards come out during the game and used about 3/4 of them during play. That also meant we had less city cards to close gates with.

Thinking back the evil stirs cards being so spread out helped us more than the relic cards - the board just never got that difficult to deal with.

Am I the only one who has made this mistake?

In general, when we lose the game it is due to cards running out. So you have made the deck bigger and increased the game length, which should have helped out. But on the flip side, now you have less control over when relics enter the game as you didn't have relics to draw from.

I would assume in total you made the game much easier for yourself though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.