Subject: How is it with 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valerij Kozlov
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
I play a lot with just 2 players, but unfortunately most of games designed with 4 / 5 max players in mind are trash with 2p.

How is Mars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Forsberg
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho its an amazing game with both 1 and 2 players. Havent tried it with more tho :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it at every player count except two. I prefer it at lower player counts though, so I can imagine two player being quite good. And I don't see any reason for it needing more than two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is awesome with 2 and still pretty good with 3 as it plays really fast.

Way too much downtime with 4 or 5 until the players get much more familiar with the cards and can make quicker decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 3 games with 2-player and every game was very enjoyable. We will be playing our first 4-player game tonight and I'm really hoping it is just as enjoyable with 4 as it is with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good with two, but better with 3 or 4 imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved it with both two and three players. Have yet to try any other numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Fluck
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played with 1 & 2 but I think I would like it less with more than 2. Since the game end condition is the same regardless of player count, the fewer players there are, the more time you have to build your engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This news leads me to believe that I chose wisely in purchasing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Matejko
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played TM 11 times already, all variants except 5-person and I enjoyed it every single time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 plays so far with 2 with another tonight and so far have loved it. Yes it's fairly long but I really don't find that a problem unless I am not enjoying the game - goes for any game really, who cares how long it is as long as you are having a good time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played with two players it never seemed to want to end. Pushing towards end game seemed to sacrifice other points. Are we playing wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think you're winning you want it to end as fast as possible. If one scale is not being increased use your money to bump it up, which is also worth VPs - there will always be one player who wants it to end and one who wants more time in a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Nordstrand
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
reviews.takras.net for board game reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Walsfeo wrote:
When I played with two players it never seemed to want to end. Pushing towards end game seemed to sacrifice other points. Are we playing wrong?

Played it 2 player yesterday. Clocked it at 230 minutes. It never seemed to end. I was in the lead to win, and my opponent took all chances to delay the game by decreasing temperature and oxygen. It was a drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takras wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

Played it 2 player yesterday. Clocked it at 230 minutes. It never seemed to end. I was in the lead to win, and my opponent took all chances to delay the game by decreasing temperature and oxygen. It was a drag.

How do you decrease temp and oxygen? Have I missed something somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takras wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

I haven't seen a single card that decreases these, how were they doing this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
DaveD wrote:
takras wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

How do you decrease temp and oxygen? Have I missed something somewhere?

You didn't, there is no such option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
takras wrote:
Walsfeo wrote:

There is no mechanism in the game for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
takras wrote:
my opponent took all chances to delay the game by decreasing temperature and oxygen. It was a drag.

Your opponent was not playing Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played with 1/4/5 and it's great with all of those. I've played a lot of solo, but miss the milestone/award options. 4 was probably better that 5 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan S
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find that the game lingers on a few generations too many with two players. We've played it 2-player five times, with the corporate cards.

The last two generations are usually a bit of a drag to play. So far it's been the ocean tiles that keeps the game running. We both have plans we want to finish and not knowing who's in the lead in a tight game, there's no big incentive to place the last two or three ocean tiles.
I think the next time we will try with removing one ocean tile and start with some heat production.

5-player works fine and you will have a race to make your strategy work before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays very well with 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JEZ_revived wrote:

The last two generations are usually a bit of a drag to play. So far it's been the ocean tiles that keeps the game running. We both have plans we want to finish and not knowing who's in the lead in a tight game, there's no big incentive to place the last two or three ocean tiles.

Exactly the above. I was really hoping we were playing incorrectly or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
JEZ_revived wrote:

Exactly the above. I was really hoping we were playing incorrectly or something.

To prevent that, do like in solo mode and put a turn limit of 14 generations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, the 3p game I played this week ended in the 14th generation. Does Jacob have a reason why the 14 generation limit was kept only for the solo game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.