GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,767 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on promo PBs Decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is just my weird love of pre-gen decks, but I would love to have (and buy the crap out of) decks for the three promo PBs.

Before people go off on me, what I'm thinking is that it's marketed as an expansion for drafting/deck building, I.e. a pack of cards without a packaged in PB, but ALSO would be a collection of what PHG would say is their pre-made deck. So you wouldn't need the promos to play with the deck, but it's a collection of a 27 card deck with corresponding summons that can be then distributed for deck building and other purposes. OR put with the corresponding Promo PB and their exclusive cards to create a deck.

What does everyone else think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson W.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy just getting the expansion decks that are never available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. It can really suck to not have things you want in stock. But we always have to look to the future! What do you think about this idea for future releases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am a little unclear on what you are suggesting. Are you suggesting a new batch of cards that would be the precon for the promo decks or a bundle of existing cards that PHG thinks would be a good precon deck?

My opinion:

As far as the existing card option, I am thinking maybe some alt art cards would be pretty cool. If they were going to go that route though I would really like to see draft packs instead of a more limited release of only the few cards.

If you mean new cards then I think I would be of a different opinion. I like the new stuff that they are coming out with and part of that excitement is seeing the new Phoenixborn. I have not kept close track, but I know that there have been articles published with suggested decks for at least some of the promo PB. I like that method. It gives pre-con players something they are looking for and allows the design team to move on to the next theme or deck style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking new cards (9 new cards at 3 copies each) for each of the promo PBs, (Orrick, lulu, and dimona). I agree that the new phoenixborns are awesome to see (leo is quickly becoming a favorite of mine), but i would like to see pre-gen decks for those three too, so i don't just have random PBs hanging around in my box.

I guess i just can't see anything bad coming of this... pre-gen lovers get decks for the PBs and deck-making fans get new cards to make decks with. win-win in my opinion. again, just thoughts though.

having suggested decks for the Pbs from existing cards is fine and all, but it means i'd have to cannibalize other decks to make them. that means if i had a summon sleeping widows card for Orrick, he couldn't play against the base deck for Noah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Ashes, so more Ashes would be awesome.

However, I'm also pretty happy for the promo PBs to not have unique decks of their own. And more importantly, realistically they aren't going to get them.

Perhaps the best idea for you might be to buy a second core set and use it to build the promo characters their own decks (with enough left over to build three more).

I would get quite a kick out of doing something like that as a deck builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kaylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:

However, I'm also pretty happy for the promo PBs to not have unique decks of their own. And more importantly, realistically they aren't going to get them.

Perhaps the best idea for you might be to buy a second core set and use it to build the promo characters their own decks (with enough left over to build three more).

*sigh* yeah...I've thought of that. I know i'm being obstinate here, because what i'm looking for is completely bypassing the inherent deck building system, but I guess part of what I love is that each of the core/expansion decks are unique. there is no summon three eyed owl in Noah's deck, and Leo doesn't come with any living dolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeakNUT wrote:
I'd be happy just getting the expansion decks that are never available.

I ordered Victoria and Leo through CoolStuff and Card Haus respectively early last week, and they arrived Friday. Might want to give one of them a try. :-)

That said, I understand the frustration with the lack of availability on those two expansions, especially if you have been waiting a while. I hope all of the issues that have been plaguing the game will be resolved soon. It is far too good of a game to be put in a tenuous situation by the lack of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Zuber Jr
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ensign53 wrote:
DreadFool wrote:

*sigh* yeah...I've thought of that. I know i'm being obstinate here, because what i'm looking for is completely bypassing the inherent deck building system, but I guess part of what I love is that each of the core/expansion decks are unique. there is no summon three eyed owl in Noah's deck, and Leo doesn't come with any living dolls.

Right now, I am extremely new to Ashes, so deckbuilding is a long way in the future for me. My son, well, I figure he would be all over it if I would allow him to cannibalize my base set, which is not going to happen right now as I figure I can learn the game better playing the suggested core decks.

Furthermore, I completely understand your reasons for not wanting to tear apart the base set to make decks for the three promo Phoenixborn. I have never been much of a deck builder, most likely because I have never played a card game deeply enough to inherently understand the synergies between cards very well. I appreciate, especially as there is no competitive scene where I live, the ability to have solid decks provided right out of the box.

As to your suggestion for 27 card decks, though I too would purchase them, I really do not see it happening. I believe the team has a plan going forward—if all of the external problems that have put it on hiatus can be addressed—and to return to these three Phoenixborn in order to create unique cards around them might not align with that vision. Not even sure they would create decks of already released cards around them. I wonder how much they would sale. Honestly, it would be as cheap to buy a core set off Amazon, which would afford an entirely new set of dice as well, and forge decks off the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.