Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's brilliant. Easy set up, pretty quick play time, rewarding experience. I generally can't get into solo games but playing this solo had me engaged the whole time.

I just wanted to leave this here in case any solo gamers out there are on the fence on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel gagnon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, there is something addictive about playing this game solo...even if my ratio is 1 win:6 lost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first solo game this weekend and I got crushed. Both of the tracks were maybe halfway and only 5 ocean tiles were placed. Hopefully it gets easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the solo game, but wish it mirrored the "real" game (and its victory conditions) more. For instance, it rarely makes sense to build cities in the solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're shooting for a high score, then it typically makes sense to play some cities in the late game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Amamoto
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've played the solo game 6 times. Played it 3 times w/o corp era cards just to get a feel. It's much tougher with the corp era cards as you get more cards you don't need in place of cards you can use.

Because there is no limit on actions it builds up and you're doing a whole bunch of actions (8-12) per generation in the last few rounds.

Off the top of my head I can recall 1 generation in my last game where I played 2 cards, bought 2 standard projects, used 4 blue card actions, converted 2X plants to greenery, converted 2X heat to steam. So, I was laying tiles, moving TR rating,advancing oxygen & temperature. That was crazy fun that would take 10 generations in the regular game.

So, yeah, I'm having a blast playing solo.

I haven't played multiplayer yet. It looks like solo is a very different game from multiplayer. City building (especially off world ones) isn't important until game end if you fulfilled the goals and you're just playing for points. You don't have use of microbes and animals. No awards and milestones strategy. No, got ya . So, it looks like more strategy involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
abtrube wrote:

Off the top of my head I can recall 1 generation in my last game where I played 2 cards, bought 2 standard projects, used 4 blue card actions, converted 2X plants to greenery, converted 2X heat to steam. So, I was laying tiles, moving TR rating,advancing oxygen & temperature. That was crazy fun that would take 10 generations in the regular game.

What do you mean that it "would take 10 generations in the regular game."? What is the regular game? And how is it different? Whether it's solo or multiplayer, if your engine allows it, you can do all these actions in one generation (but spread out over several turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Amamoto
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was wrong saying it would take 10 generations. Having never played multiplayer I misunderstood the Action phase rule. As Jonathan says, there is no limit on amount of actions per generation. The 2 action limit is on a turn. If you can continue to do actions as long as you make at least 1 action on your turn.

So, in a solo game you have unlimited actions per generation and it is always your turn. In a multiplayer game in each generation you can keep making 1 or 2 actions on your turn until you pass with out taking any action.

From a prior thread -

Jonathan Fryxelius
(Lord_Aethan)

In both solo and multiplayer, the amount of actions is unlimited, but the resources are what limits you. Starting off in the solo game with some production is a good strategy, but you need to start Terraforming pretty soon if you want to complete it by the end of 14 generations. Even with a really good production, say 70M€ in the last generation, only raises the cheapest parameter 5 steps (temperature).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Lundin
msg tools
mbmbmb
abtrube wrote:
I was wrong saying it would take 10 generations. Having never played multiplayer I misunderstood the Action phase rule. As Jonathan says, there is no limit on amount of actions per generation. The 2 action limit is on a turn. If you can continue to do actions as long as you make at least 1 action on your turn.

So, in a solo game you have unlimited actions per generation and it is always your turn. In a multiplayer game in each generation you can keep making 1 or 2 actions on your turn until you pass with out taking any action.

From a prior thread -

Jonathan Fryxelius
(Lord_Aethan)

In both solo and multiplayer, the amount of actions is unlimited, but the resources are what limits you. Starting off in the solo game with some production is a good strategy, but you need to start Terraforming pretty soon if you want to complete it by the end of 14 generations. Even with a really good production, say 70M€ in the last generation, only raises the cheapest parameter 5 steps (temperature).

Does this mean that you can do more than two actions in total over a generation? I thought you had to make a maximum of two, but choose to do both or only one during a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jens_hoppe wrote:
I like the solo game, but wish it mirrored the "real" game (and its victory conditions) more. For instance, it rarely makes sense to build cities in the solo game.

There's 2 criteria for solo

#1 - first and foremost is to not outright lose by missing any of the 3 terraforming requirements.

However, every solo game I've played, I've gotten an engine going around gen 8-10 and can pump all 3 out within 2-3 generations, so unless you make some mistakes early on, or get very very very poor card draws, you should be able to meet the initial non-lose criteria quite often.

#2 - beat your high score, and this is where the challenge really comes in. After balancing out your engine to make sure you hit the #1 criteria, you need to also take into account how to get the highest score while doing so, and that's where smart city placement will come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sandwichman wrote:
abtrube wrote:

From a prior thread -

Jonathan Fryxelius
(Lord_Aethan)

Does this mean that you can do more than two actions in total over a generation? I thought you had to make a maximum of two, but choose to do both or only one during a turn.

You can take as many actions as you want/can afford in every generation until you have to pass. The only limit is that in a multiplayer game you can only do up to 2 actions at a time before the next player goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff0 wrote:
If you're shooting for a high score, then it typically makes sense to play some cities in the late game.

Yes, totally agree. In my last solo game I had an income of 90 mc and was able to spam cities for the last couple of generations, they added up to an extra 10 or 12 points at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:
jeff0 wrote:

Yes, totally agree. In my last solo game I had an income of 90 mc and was able to spam cities for the last couple of generations, they added up to an extra 10 or 12 points at the end.

90?! Clearly I need more practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jebstone wrote:
jens_hoppe wrote:

There's 2 criteria for solo

#1 - first and foremost is to not outright lose by missing any of the 3 terraforming requirements.

However, every solo game I've played, I've gotten an engine going around gen 8-10 and can pump all 3 out within 2-3 generations, so unless you make some mistakes early on, or get very very very poor card draws, you should be able to meet the initial non-lose criteria quite often.

#2 - beat your high score, and this is where the challenge really comes in. After balancing out your engine to make sure you hit the #1 criteria, you need to also take into account how to get the highest score while doing so, and that's where smart city placement will come into play.

Yes, I agree with this. I've played about 10 solo games with 2 losses. One was 1 global parameter short and the other was 12 short. With careful planning, my engine is pretty set around gen 7 and and generations 8-10/11 do a lot of work and set me up for a final push on the 1 of 3 global parameters I am behind on. Then, it's all about finishing off the final global parameter and maximizing VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Solo is a lot of fun. Just last night, I had a game with Saturn Systems where I was ready to give up around generation 8-11, because I just couldn't get in gear with heat and oceans. I had set up a decent card draw engine and card-playing discounts along with titanium production - but the cards I got were often not what I needed at this point. I only continued because I record my stats (including playing times and score, even if I lose) and was like "meh, let's just go through with this now".

But towards the end, I dropped a Giant Ice Asteroid on the planet, brought in a huge delivery from Earth, and in a frantic geneneration 14, I increased O2 x2, oceans x2, and heat x6, even though I had to use Standard Projects for 4 of the heat increases and 1 of the oceans - basically I just threw money at the problem, and it worked.

End score sucked tho, but who cares, fun was had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Memphis
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've seen anyone bring it up yet, but one of the great things about the Solo game for me is that the 14 Generation limit seems so perfectly balanced.

It gives you a limited amount of time and a limited amount of cards (62 plus whatever else you can generate on your own) and the curve of what you can accomplish on a turn from one or two things in the early going to vast complicated Rube Goldberg like terraforming/points machines at the end also seems perfectly ramped.

It gives a great sense of satisfaction when all the pieces start falling in place around turns 8-9-10. It seems like I always get to that point with like one or two conditions only a third of the way completed but I can always feel like I can still win.

Really, really fun.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
I don't think I've seen anyone bring it up yet, but one of the great things about the Solo game for me is that the 14 Generation limit seems so perfectly balanced.

It gives you a limited amount of time and a limited amount of cards (62 plus whatever else you can generate on your own) and the curve of what you can accomplish on a turn from one or two things in the early going to vast complicated Rube Goldberg like terraforming/points machines at the end also seems perfectly ramped.

It gives a great sense of satisfaction when all the pieces start falling in place around turns 8-9-10. It seems like I always get to that point with like one or two conditions only a third of the way completed but I can always feel like I can still win.

Really, really fun.

Dave

I agree with this. I've played solo twice, one win and one loss, and both were close finishes. I really enjoy the game and can't wait to play it with others. (And if I can't, well, the solo game is still quite good.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In addition to the above, the 14 rounds is a good amount, and strikes that perfect balance between win/lose, and being able to go for points. What i mean is, some games you may get a terrible starting 10 cards/corporation and you know that you can still win, but it will be a battle right from the start to optimize every move and make sure you Win. Meanwhile, there are other games where everything seems to fall into place the first couple turns, and you "know" you are going to win, but you start to see how well you can optimize scoring along with your terraforming.

I think the addition of scoring and its connection to the multiplayer game gives it what it needs to stay interesting. I find if I focus solely on terraforming, and win quite often, but striking the balance between scoring and terraforming has become on of my favorite parts the solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been the only game that I actually played the solo game.

The setup and teardown is easy. It plays essentially like the main game, so I don't have to learn a different set of rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
jens_hoppe wrote:

It's not just about winning, it's about winning with a high score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree with the solo recommendations. Love this game.

I wonder if the developer ever considered a Fourth global track "Colonization" whereby a certain amount of cities are built?

Not sure if the solo game could have a requirement of Cities built or a house rule to that effect? Issue being the amount of rounds needed to keep it tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.