Hide
13 Posts

Virus» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus
msg tools
Here are some questions that came up, while reading the rules and playing the test round:

Is the maximum number of Major Advantages limited to the remaining rounds (e.g. can't I take a Major Advantage in round 9)?

Can I still spend advantages to alter the combat throw or draw new cards (clue or wound) after the time is up?

Do activated explosives also explode in the slow phase? (Laser traps only seem to work during real time?)

“They hear you!” movement: from the example I take it that action cubes of different colors are counted separately? That the creature moves “towards the largest number” means in the direction of the hero with the largest number?

Creature movement always stops, when they reach a hero? (e.g. even if there’s another hero in the next room and they have movement left.)

Discarding cards from room display: can I also discard a single card for 0 resources?
If I discard 4 identically shaped cards, of which 2 are red and 2 are green, do I get 2*3 resources?
And just to make sure: It’s not possible to discard 2 groups of cards that (within each group) are identically shaped?

Does the additional final attack happen, if I already have resolved the counter-attack? If so, this means I shouldn’t resolve the counter-attack, if I want to stay in this room, but wait until the timer is up. Or would I have to resolve the counter-attack and the additional attack, after the real-time is up?

Multi-player combat together example: why does the “Boss and one Zombie attack” not cause 3+1=4 damage points but 3?

Player vs Player combat: “Blue […] declares 4 Damage points and then moves away 3 rooms. Yellow declares a counter-attack at distance 3,…” Can’t yellow immediately declare the counter-attack without suffering the distance penalty?

If Desu moves into a room with 6 spaces used at the moment, I probably only move back 1 creature?

If clue cards are incompatible in Spy mode, which cards are discarded?

Clue: “A room with a single Door token, if there are at least X+1 Door tokens placed on rooms. X is the current number of Heroes.” How does that work, if there is only 1 door per hero in the game reserve?

Clue: if there is currently no room filled to capacity with Creatures and I draw that card, is it removed immediately?

Can room cards from the net room be used as advantages? If yes, do they count towards the max. 8 face down cards?

“When the game ends, players must take into account wounds through the end of the current turn, such as wounds from using an Adrenaline token or from a deep wound.” If this makes the Hero who exited with the antidote die, do the Heroes still win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
thank you for your interesting questions. Below my replies.

Ciao!
Michele

Is the maximum number of Major Advantages limited to the remaining rounds (e.g. can't I take a Major Advantage in round 9)?

Yes.

Can I still spend advantages to alter the combat throw or draw new cards (clue or wound) after the time is up?

Yes.

Do activated explosives also explode in the slow phase? (Laser traps only seem to work during real time?)

Yes. Correct sentence for laser (and gas) is: Every Creature or Hero in the room at the beginning of the Real Time phase or any Creature/Hero who enters the room immediately suffers 1 Damage point.

“They hear you!” movement: from the example I take it that action cubes of different colors are counted separately? That the creature moves “towards the largest number” means in the direction of the hero with the largest number?

Check for any cube in the Alerted Area for any possible direction. Then move in direction of the largest.

Creature movement always stops, when they reach a hero? (e.g. even if there’s another hero in the next room and they have movement left.)

Yes

Discarding cards from room display: can I also discard a single card for 0 resources?

No.

If I discard 4 identically shaped cards, of which 2 are red and 2 are green, do I get 2*3 resources?

Yes.

And just to make sure: It’s not possible to discard 2 groups of cards that (within each group) are identically shaped?

Not sure to understand your question.
You can discard two groups, for example group A are all single opening rooms and group B all 3 openings rooms.

Does the additional final attack happen, if I already have resolved the counter-attack?

Yes

If so, this means I shouldn’t resolve the counter-attack, if I want to stay in this room, but wait until the timer is up. Or would I have to resolve the counter-attack and the additional attack, after the real-time is up?

You have to resolve the counter-attack, if you attack. If you simply stay in the room waiting there is only additional attack.
On other hand if you attack you have to resolve counter-attack AND additional attack.

Multi-player combat together example: why does the “Boss and one Zombie attack” not cause 3+1=4 damage points but 3?

You have right, there is a typo on Boss damage: they are 2.

Player vs Player combat: “Blue […] declares 4 Damage points and then moves away 3 rooms. Yellow declares a counter-attack at distance 3,…” Can’t yellow immediately declare the counter-attack without suffering the distance penalty?

If other player is still there yes.

If Desu moves into a room with 6 spaces used at the moment, I probably only move back 1 creature?

yes

If clue cards are incompatible in Spy mode, which cards are discarded?

All incompatible cards must be discarded.

Clue: “A room with a single Door token, if there are at least X+1 Door tokens placed on rooms. X is the current number of Heroes.” How does that work, if there is only 1 door per hero in the game reserve?

It's X for doors and X+1 for Breaches.

Clue: if there is currently no room filled to capacity with Creatures and I draw that card, is it removed immediately?

No. You have remove cards only when they are incompatible each other.

Can room cards from the net room be used as advantages? If yes, do they count towards the max. 8 face down cards?

No.

“When the game ends, players must take into account wounds through the end of the current turn, such as wounds from using an Adrenaline token or from a deep wound.” If this makes the Hero who exited with the antidote die, do the Heroes still win?

No, because they didn't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
msg tools
Thank you very much for your answers.

Here is what I still dont't understand:

micheleq wrote:

Check for any cube in the Alerted Area for any possible direction. Then move in direction of the largest.

I understand that the idea is that the total number of cubes is the noise that the Hero generated. But it could be that there are cubes of the same color in two directions of the creature. I don't understand how to resolve in that case. That's why I asked whether you move towards the hero - or would you move away from the hero, if more cubes were in the other direction?

micheleq wrote:

You have to resolve the counter-attack, if you attack. If you simply stay in the room waiting there is only additional attack.
On other hand if you attack you have to resolve counter-attack AND additional attack.

Is it possible to use dodges for the additional attack?
Or are they already dodged? (when fleeing the rules suggest that (previously) dodged creatures don't perform an attack.)

micheleq wrote:

If other player is still there yes.

But in practice, if he says that he's attacking me and I want to perform a counter-attack, I would just say so. And there's no way that he can roll, apply the successes and move away so quickly.

micheleq wrote:

No. You have remove cards only when they are incompatible each other.

So in order to put the antidote on the map, I need to fill up a room with creatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the idea is that the total number of cubes is the noise that the Hero generated. But it could be that there are cubes of the same color in two directions of the creature. I don't understand how to resolve in that case. That's why I asked whether you move towards the hero - or would you move away from the hero, if more cubes were in the other direction?

Is not a problem. Creature move towards the bigger group of cubes also if are all of same color (note: that never happens in a play). Remember this is the 3rd in the list, so first is they see someone, then if they sniff someone.

Is it possible to use dodges for the additional attack?
Or are they already dodged? (when fleeing the rules suggest that (previously) dodged creatures don't perform an attack.)

Better re-explain:
in real time you can fight. Every time you attack, alive creatures reacts with a counter-attack. When you attack you can use successes to damage creatures or to dodge their counter-attacks.
If countdown ends and you are still in fight, you can still complete the current combat round.
In this case if you kill all creatures, it's ok.
If you do not defeat all creatures is a bad thing, because the surviving creatures will have an additional bonus attack (additional final attack) which you can only endure damages from them.

But in practice, if he says that he's attacking me and I want to perform a counter-attack, I would just say so. And there's no way that he can roll, apply the successes and move away so quickly.

Yes, in practice yes.

So in order to put the antidote on the map, I need to fill up a room with creatures?
Yes, clues works in both ways. You can place things in the map to make the clues successful ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
msg tools
Here's a picture of a situation, in which it is not clear to me, how I need to move the creature to the "bigger group of cubes":

Finally, a question regarding fleeing: If I flee without fighting before, all creatures attack and I get 1 additional wound.
But if I fight before fleeing, only the ones that I didn't dodge in the last round attack (+1 additional wound)?

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ty for the image, so it's much easy to understand :-)

Go on west (his right), then south...

Finally, a question regarding fleeing: If I flee without fighting before, all creatures attack and I get 1 additional wound.
But if I fight before fleeing, only the ones that I didn't dodge in the last round attack (+1 additional wound)?

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
msg tools
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mb
If I may, I'd like to use this thread for further questions instead of opening a new one!

We are playing VIRUS in the No-Real-Time-variant. Currently we have problems understanding how combat works without real time:

Do we get just one round of combat during our turn, or can we have more rounds (if we have enough cubes to roll)?

If the combat could not be finished in one turn, can the hero flee in the same turn?

Can a hero do further actions (like move, search...) after he successfully fled from combat in the same turn?

Finally, a question concerning Rahdo's video: He gets resources before the game even starts and begins his game equipped with a few things. As we do not find that in the rules, has it been deleted?

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, I'd like to use this thread for further questions instead of opening a new one!

You welcome!

We are playing VIRUS in the No-Real-Time-variant. Currently we have problems understanding how combat works without real time:

Interesting, as I have less input from this kind of play.

Do we get just one round of combat during our turn, or can we have more rounds (if we have enough cubes to roll)?

You can have 1 combat.
This is a last rule change (1.40 version) I add it to semplify.

If the combat could not be finished in one turn, can the hero flee in the same turn?

Yes of course.

Can a hero do further actions (like move, search...) after he successfully fled from combat in the same turn?

Yes of course.

Finally, a question concerning Rahdo's video: He gets resources before the game even starts and begins his game equipped with a few things. As we do not find that in the rules, has it been deleted?

This was a "easy game" setup I removed after as Radho is a too skilled player!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mb
Thank you Michele, it is really amazing to get questions answered by the game designer himself in just half an hour! Hats off!

Ok, we got crushed last night so badly (it was our first full game, we were playing not very smart and had bad luck with cards) on Level 1, we might add the "RRR" (Rahdo Resource Rule ) next time! Hope to at least see the first laboratory built then, to explore the game a little more before getting ripped apart.

We will keep on trying, I have the impression this is a game to have endless fun with once you get the hang of it.

And so much looking forward to campaign mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You welcome

Strange that creatures crushed you at Level 1 Difficulty. It's usually easy to manage... anyway i'm here if you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
mb
Thanks!

I think it was a bit of bad luck, too. We were both involved in the same combat and found ourselves in a dead end suddenly, because we had to lay down two trap cards around us. We laid +1 and +2 tiles nearby (what was just dumb), so that we had no chance whatsoever to escape that situation without being caught right after that again. And, having 5 creatures on our space with no cubes to roll anymore and no resources to gain in the recovery phase, we immediately had to take 6 wounds for fleeing... I hope we played it right (No Real Time!), will try again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Quondam
Italy
Roma
Roma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluidkarma wrote:
Thanks!

I think it was a bit of bad luck, too. We were both involved in the same combat and found ourselves in a dead end suddenly, because we had to lay down two trap cards around us. We laid +1 and +2 tiles nearby (what was just dumb), so that we had no chance whatsoever to escape that situation without being caught right after that again. And, having 5 creatures on our space with no cubes to roll anymore and no resources to gain in the recovery phase, we immediately had to take 6 wounds for fleeing... I hope we played it right (No Real Time!), will try again soon!

lol

Remember to use advantages.
In combat (to win it easily) and out the combat (to take more resources when you have too few). They are the core of the system to quiet luck aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.