United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So here is my thoughts on the Scythe Factory from Meeple Realty.

(In the past I've built inserts from Broken Token for Codenames, King of Tokyo, Dead of Winter, Machi Koro Deluxe so it's not my first rodeo!)

Building
The instructions aren't as clear as the ones that come with a BT insert, there is some quite big steps between pictures but it wasn't a big problem. Build wise it was pretty easy. Some splintering along the edges but I've come to expect that. If I had more patience I'd use a thin craft blade to run round the edges of each piece. Everything fits together nicely, barely needed any sanding and only had to use the gentle persuader (hammer) once or twice. I haven't used any glue (never have in any of the inserts I've built) and it feels solid enough. Can always glue later any bits which come loose. There was one mistake in the instructions with the mech tray - the hook is facing the wrong way, I will contact MR about this and hopefully they'll adjust the instructions.

Design
Design wise it's very nice. Everything fits solidly in the box (I have the extra board and realistic resources) and the lid closes fully (the BT won't close with the extra board). There is space for the two extra factions (roll on November!), although it might be a little tight with their extra tokens. I'll report back when they arrive! I also have the action markers and wooden trap/flag tokens coming from the Meeple Source Kickstarter and not 100% sure they're going to all fit, again I'll report back.
Everything is nicely labelled to show you where it goes except for the player aids (I've put them in with the factory and encounter cards) and the objective makers & resource multipliers (which I've put in the spare space in the resource tray).

Final thoughts
If I'm honest I'm a bit disappointed in this insert, but thats specific to me and the issues I encountered. It is a very good insert overall and I'd recommend it.

All of my cards are in Fantasy Flight Supply sleeves (I use these for all the games which I've sleeved as they are great quality). All the cards fit fine other than the tarot size ones (Factory, Encounter and Player Aid), the sleeves are too long for the cards anyway but I plan on trimming them down. However with this brand of sleeves the cards are ever so slightly to wide to fit, and will be about a millimetre too long even after trimming. I have had to unsleeve my cards for now. I actually emailed MR before buying to check sleeved cards fit and they said yes, although I suppose I should've checked which sleeves fit...

The holders for the characters minis are incredibly tight, and have stripped the paint from the edges of mine. Obviously this is only a problem if you have painted your set, and I imagine they will loosen up after a few uses.

Sadly my mechs don't fit in the holders as they are painted and based. Again this is not the fault of the insert, and will only affect you if you've customised yours - still a bit disappointing though. I have added scenery to my mech bases so they don't fit in. I have just removed the horizontal bars which means the mechs aren't as secure, but its not like I plan on storing or carrying this horizontally!

The "garage door" mechanism (for want of a better term) is pointless. The cog wheels barely touch so don't always engage, and everything is held with some tiny bits of dowel and my cogs have already slipped off a couple of times. I'm going to try applying a small amount of glue carefully but there's not much length to work with (a problem I'm not used to). The cogs and door are actually not needed, they don't serve a functional purpose just decoration. I personally would've preferred a lift out piece (like you can see on the card holders and coin holders) as it will be easier to use, I can imagine the garage door will get frustrating to use after a few times and is more of a novelty.

One advantage I can see the BT insert has over this is that each faction has its own storage box so you can just hand that to the player. However I can cope without them and the lid not fully closing would do my head in.

Overall I would say its very good, and if you are upgrading your game or like inserts then this is a great one to get. I would recommend it. On the whole it's a nice insert, and the majority of the problems I've encountered will only matter if you've sleeved your cards and based/painted your minis. If you haven't done that it'll be perfect for you.

Any questions please just ask!

As mentioned I've got the two new factions coming, the metal coins (including the $50 promos (and the $2 promos when available)), the action markers and the wooden objective/flag/trap markers coming so I'll report back on how they all fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I like the way this one seems to fit in the box better, but this might have sold me on BT instead of MR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thanks for the review. This has likewise made up my mind--BT for me as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Sherman
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious why you are thinking BT over MR? I am looking to procure one and have been waffling as I own several inserts from both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Leeman
msg tools
Terbear wrote:
Curious why you are thinking BT over MR? I am looking to procure one and have been waffling as I own several inserts from both.

For me, I think the big selling point for the BT insert is the individual player trays. I haven't checked if there are more than the two inserts yet, but That's why I like the BT over MR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
red1086 wrote:
Terbear wrote:

For me, I think the big selling point for the BT insert is the individual player trays. I haven't checked if there are more than the two inserts yet, but That's why I like the BT over MR.

That's fair enough, individual player trays would be nice but it's notandeal breaker for me. It's a couple of minutes set up at the beginning and you can just have the tray in the middle. What is a deal breaker is the lid not fully closing on the BT one with the extra board. That'd drive me nuts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
red1086 wrote:
Terbear wrote:

That's fair enough, individual player trays would be nice but it's notandeal breaker for me. It's a couple of minutes set up at the beginning and you can just have the tray in the middle. What is a deal breaker is the lid not fully closing on the BT one with the extra board. That'd drive me nuts!

I thought so too, but over in this thread the BT guys said it's only 5mm raised which I don't think would bother me that much give how deep the box already is.

I like that the BT one has two resource trays you can take out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me there are three things: 1) the reported wonkiness of the fancy extra stuff in the MR insert. Sounds unnecessary and over-engineered. I was somewhat skeptical of the gears & pull-out tray fronts to begin with. 2) Individual faction trays. It's a small thing, but nice. 3) split resource trays. They did this with their Firefly: The Game crate, and it's really handy with a table hog board to have that.

The 5mm raised box lid won't bother me, I have a few other games that are far worse (Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, my PnP of Magic Realm). I can live with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
The "garage door" mechanism (for want of a better term) is pointless. The cog wheels barely touch so don't always engage, and everything is held with some tiny bits of dowel and my cogs have already slipped off a couple of times. I'm going to try applying a small amount of glue carefully but there's not much length to work with (a problem I'm not used to). The cogs and door are actually not needed, they don't serve a functional purpose just decoration. I personally would've preferred a lift out piece (like you can see on the card holders and coin holders) as it will be easier to use, I can imagine the garage door will get frustrating to use after a few times and is more of a novelty.

So true. I really hope MR stops making these wooden cog driven things. They just don't work. Since nothing is securing one end of the mini dowl rods, they just slip out of their holes whenever they're moved. If it worked it would be cute, I guess, but it doesn't. I'm actually considering getting a BT insert to replace the MR one because of this (and will likely avoid all future inserts that have these sorts of gears).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've contacted MR regarding the mistake in the instructions with the reversed hooks. They've acknowledged the issue and have stated that they will be correcting it on their end.

My cards are sleeved with mayday premiums, and I also have noticed that the Objective/Automa cards are just slightly too wide for their slots. I would recommend sanding down the side walls slightly to give you some extra space. Mine is already build and glued together, so I've purchased some sanding sticks to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone in the UK is getting one of these - I need a plastic insert for the Mechs/Characters haven foolishly thrown mine away!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24038356#24038356

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your dial tray was correctly oriented along with the instructions. Mine is the same, however, it is the reversed orientation in the photo on the meeplerealty website (photo is not mirrored). Which causes the dials to face 90 degrees differently than ours.

I don't think it would make a huge difference... although the instructions explicitly say to make sure it is correctly oriented. Also, does your resource/coin tray fit without teetering in the box? Mine teeters when I put pressure on different spots, which led me to investigate the orientation again, for which the resource/coin tray sits atop.

I'm too lazy to undue the pieces and try the pictured orientation on their site. I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
red1086 wrote:
Terbear wrote:

Since I mentioned the same feeling of BT over MR I wanted to chime in and agree with this. I like the idea of individual player trays for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.