$35.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » News

Subject: New FAQ posted - Scyks buffed and Jumpmasters nerfed! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c8/0c...

Highlights: U-boats effectively sunk (Deadeye EPT is small-ship only)
Scyk gets a buff: 'Heavy Scyk' title now includes free hull upgrade
Red-on-red maneuvers now a fixed outcome
etc!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spruce
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to know the story behind FAQ changes - like what happened and where that lead to the open, hidden and derived information section? Smells of drama to me!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like the scyk improvement...now to have someone get a card image for printing slips.

And when did that attack phase "timing" chart get into the FAQ? I must've missed that...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Optix47 wrote:
I'd love to know the story behind FAQ changes - like what happened and where that lead to the open, hidden and derived information section? Smells of drama to me!


I think this is probably more relevant to their LCGs, and FFG has just been putting it in all the rules docs for consistency.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R4-D6 is now better against Bossk, but it is so small that you barely notice. To be fair, still not a great astromech, but it now triggers after Bossk turns the crits to two hits (meaning Bossk ability could make R4-D6 trigger when it originally would not).

Also, Boba crew takes a nerf of his shipping having to deal the crit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strange that they nerf biggs after being so long in the game

the attack timing chart was added in the previous faq update or the one just before
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Optix47 wrote:
I'd love to know the story behind FAQ changes - like what happened and where that lead to the open, hidden and derived information section? Smells of drama to me!


They mention in the article the predominance of Jumpmasters in competitive play as a reason for the Deadeye change, and the lack of Scyk as a reason for their buff.

They also say that, since there are now ways to give a ship stress after its maneuver dial has been set but before the dial is revealed (Cargo Chutes), allowing your opponent to pick your maneuver seemed overly punitive. The white 2 forward is a little more forgiving yet still a disincentive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure why the red-maneuver rule was necessary, unless there's some kind of mechanic in the pipe we don't know about and they're trying to get people comfortable with the change.

Laetin Ashera could be a really good harassing flanker now.

I'm okay with the Deadeye nerf.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, what is up with that hidden information paragraph? That seems WAY too specific. Did something happen at a tournament or something?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
strange that they nerf biggs after being so long in the game


I think the problem was that he was appearing in EVERY Rebel list. Like...if you fly Rebels, you take Biggs, or you aren't really 'flying Rebels' properly.

He's good, but he shouldn't have been THAT critical that he's an auto-include for the lists. Unfortunately, due to the pre-nerf Jumpmasters, he really kinda was that critical.

Given the Jumpmasters being nerfed, it made sense to nerf Biggs a bit, too. (And let's be honest - it's not much of a nerf. It makes literally no difference at all to any ships NOT equipping a secondary weapon of some kind, and more than half the secondary weapons out there need to set something up to avoid being Biggs'd)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
strange that they nerf biggs after being so long in the game


I think the problem was that he was appearing in EVERY Rebel list. Like...if you fly Rebels, you take Biggs, or you aren't really 'flying Rebels' properly.

He's good, but he shouldn't have been THAT critical that he's an auto-include for the lists. Unfortunately, due to the pre-nerf Jumpmasters, he really kinda was that critical.

Given the Jumpmasters being nerfed, it made sense to nerf Biggs a bit, too. (And let's be honest - it's not much of a nerf. It makes literally no difference at all to any ships NOT equipping a secondary weapon of some kind, and more than half the secondary weapons out there need to set something up to avoid being Biggs'd)


Also, keep in mind that any potential T-65 "fix" has to be weighed against the risk of making Biggs too powerful. It's possible (although perhaps optimistic ) that any Biggs nerf is a precursor to incoming T-65 buffs.

The Deadeye and Scyk changes are quite welcome. Will it be enough to put Scyks on the map? I'm guessing they still probably aren't good enough to see widespread use, but they might appear in some niche roles now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
GrantZilla1979 wrote:
I'm not sure why the red-maneuver rule was necessary, unless there's some kind of mechanic in the pipe we don't know about and they're trying to get people comfortable with the change.

Laetin Ashera could be a really good harassing flanker now.

I'm okay with the Deadeye nerf.


There's already a way to give out stress during the Activation Phase, before a ship could reveal their dial: Rigged Cargo Shute.

Also, there's a few way to attach during the Activation Phase, which could potentially give out crit that cause the ship to be assigned stress.

Other edge case includes Saboteur.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! JumpMaster nerf was much needed for healthier competitive play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
like the scyk improvement...


That ship needed help.

But I think it might be too little too late with the Protectorate now available.

Maybe if the title were free? Or perhaps gave a discount on toward the price of that particular weapon?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
theashers wrote:
like the scyk improvement...


That ship needed help.

But I think it might be too little too late with the Protectorate now available.

Maybe if the title were free? Or perhaps gave a discount on toward the price of that particular weapon?


Yeah, not sure how viable they still are... 1 point cheaper than Hull upgrade, so not an "auto include" like a 0-point title...only some plays will tell...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make them pretty viable as cannon platforms.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alkemist wrote:
Finally! JumpMaster nerf was much needed for healthier competitive play.


But it doesn't look like they have done much about Palp Aces. I guess they get a stealth nerf as the JumpMaster nerf will allow TLTs and fat turrets more of a place in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.