Subject: Not enough "money" to proceed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear (English) about giving each player one whole note's worth of money. Then each non-baton player will receive an additional 1/8 note.

So we get through a few rounds, but a few instruments, draw chanc cards. But now the game is effectively stalled with no money to buy or rent enough players to perform anything -- not that there are anywhere near enough in the orchestra to do anything.

What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter de Boer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi Frank, You are doing right. The money is less in this game, because in real life musicians have most of the time a leak of money. So you can decide to make the game faster to give each of the players a half note extra at the beginning of the game. Greetings, Pieter de Boer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could draw chance cards until someone has enough to buy the next instrument. It's far from ideal, I know . I've not seen a table where nobody could get ahead though, so I'm curious what happened there myself.

On the plus side, you only have to pay rent on the instruments after you've performed the piece. Much like the leaking money, this makes sense from a top-down design view: you only pay the other musicians after they've performed ^^.

Another thing you might want to consider is to always have at least a quarter note in reserve. That way, you can get three new instruments to pick from (by putting the current three on the bottom of the deck and drawing three new ones) - you'd have to buy one of these, but chances are you can pick up an orange one for a quarter note. I do believe the rules say that the bank will chip in if you'll only draw three green ones in such a case, but I'd have to defer you to Pieter for that.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the USA now. Will give it another go over the weekend.

Rehearsing the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto tomorrow night, along with some Verdi & Dvorak. In two weeks it's the Brahms 2nd, Wagner, & Vaughn Williams. (Slim pickings for the bass trombone, but I get to listen to my colleagues making great music!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter de Boer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you don't have the money to buy one of the green note cards, you lose your turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatsinagame wrote:
If you don't have the money to buy one of the green note cards, you lose your turn...

Hmm, well that works as well, at least there's been some action . I thought there was some point where the bank sponsors your purchase if there was no other way to do it, but I guess I'm mistaken .

Good luck on those practice sessions, and may you make some sweet music ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.