$30.00
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm hosting a 40-60 person fundraising board game night for my kids' school, and we're going to have prizes to distribute. I don't want to hand them out based on any serious competition (i.e., a Catan tournament or something), since I'd like kids and adults to have roughly equal chances of winning.

However, I'd also like to do something more fun and thematic than a simple raffle.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess a low number. Everyone writes a number (positive integer) with their name and sticks it in a bucket. Lowest number that is not a duplicate wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Could have a dexterity game that everyone gets one shot at -- throw a dart at some balloons (perhaps until you hit one, perhaps not,) balloon has a prize code in it. Or an Apple bob in a similar fashion -- Apples have a hidden number, return it for a prize.

Not many games play 60 very well, especially while involving kids! Could attempt Two Rooms and a Boom or something though I guess; but I don't think it would work that well w/ >30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yahtzee roll - everyone rolls five dice with up to three rerolls when they arrive. Record results. At the end of the night, announce the best rolls based on Yahtzee scoring. Highest winner picks a prize, next winner gets second pick, etc.

Rather quick, random distribution, gaming themed, lots of people know Yahtzee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Guess a low number. Everyone writes a number (positive integer) with their name and sticks it in a bucket. Lowest number that is not a duplicate wins.

Or go full on meeply feud on them; 10 questions, trying to guess, and match, what otehrs are putting down. For each question, everyone gets 1 point for each person (including themselves) giving the same answer. Highest total wins, use the lowest unique number question as a tiebreak...

Credit for that concept, obviously, goes to Gene Moore with his monthly contest, and Dwayne Wood who ran the same sort of contest prior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a bunch of thrift store Monopoly games, and give everyone a property card. Have a board set up somewhere and every so often you roll the dice and move a token until it lands on a property. Announce the space and the first x persons with that property to show up at the prize table get to claim a prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
20 express theoretically plays a ton of people, is pretty easy to learnm and should be suitable for most ages (although scoring can be a little thinky). With 40-60 people though, I'm not sure if there will be one "high score".

Having lost many, and won a few, raffles, depending on the number of prizes, I would also suggest a couple of totally random drawings in addition to any "skill" based ones, even if the skill required is minimal.

Guess-the-number of game-related objects in a jar. (or objects related to your fundraiser topic.)

I like the Yahtzee roll thing. Easy, quick, if results are posted you know exactly what your chances are. Could also increase the number of dice, or increase the die faces, if you need more of a potential range than 5-30. Maybe take Formula De dice or similar - one each of different d's. Low number is cool too.

Some form of themed, potentially simplified, Wits and Wagers? Trying to visualize how to do this not-real-time, though, while still keeping the essence of W&W.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Ducks on a Pond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You can still have competition that gives different ages equal chances:

1) group everyone onto tables so each table has equal aged participants and have them play an age appropriate game.

2) Winners, runners-up, etc each win X, Y, etc play dollars (monopoly money?).

3) Have an auction, in play dollars, at the end of the night for the prizes. Players with big wins can team up to outbid each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easiest - everyone gets one raffle ticket, winners of a game get an extra ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Easiest - everyone gets one raffle ticket, winners of a game get an extra ticket.

I'm not sure getting 40-60 people to play anything would be "easiest".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
cornixt wrote:

I'm sure he means that if you win a game during the night you get an extra raffle ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
cornixt wrote:

Don't have them all play the same game. Split them into smaller groups, multiple games, one winner per group per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get everyone a bingo card and start calling some numbers ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I use this for the annual new member night of the college game group. I let each have three numbers, then select 5 or so winners of the lowest number....and a few random draws for the remainder. Winners choose from the 'vault' in order of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:
curtc wrote:

I use this for the annual new member night of the college game group. I let each have three numbers, then select 5 or so winners of the lowest number....

You mean the five lowest unique numbers? Not sure what you mean by singular number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Cinnibar wrote:
curtc wrote:

I use this for the annual new member night of the college game group. I let each have three numbers, then select 5 or so winners of the lowest number....

You mean the five lowest unique numbers? Not sure what you mean by singular number.

5 lowest unique numbers. So, last time, 10, 18, 22, 28, 32 all had only one person choosing them, with other numbers chosen multiple times (or, like 16, that no one picked). I found the entries for those numbers, lined them up, then let them pick a prize.

I also have it one prize per person, in case someone is truly lucky. I review the entries handed to me to be sure I understand them, then tuck them away to be tabulated later so I can't give away information accidentally. If someone tries math equations, fractions, other ways to 'game' the system...I tear up the entry and hand them a new one. I even have it written into the rules I post that I am the sole judge of valid entries to ensure a fair game. My friends like to joke about the crazy assertions by some math and philosophy majors why their answer must automatically win year after year. meeple

If you decide to do something like this, my advice is to take some lined paper before hand and write down 1-50ish in several columns beforehand, with some lines left over. Then it becomes easy to go through each entry, put a mark next to each number encountered before tucking the entry to a box separate from the ones not tallied yet. The extra lines hold the larger numbers you can write in as needed for those who hope 1001 will win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.