Princess Ryan's Star Marines» Forums » General

Subject: can't figure this one out: should I? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a chance to obtain a new copy of this game and can't figure out whether I should.

I'd be playing solo and I'd buy it not only for game play but as a contribution to my game channel which does solo reviews, some of obscure(ish) games.

Without being able to see the rules, I have little sense of this game despite some excellent reviews of it here and elsewhere.

Plusses in a game for me are:

--strategy/complicated card mechanics enabling different outcomes
--many opportunities for meaningful choices--choices that impact the next step of the game
--puzzly feel. This doesn't have to mean terribly complicated but it means the points above--meaningful decisions and choices at all stages.
The sense of trying to figure things out based on what you've got.

Minuses in a game for me are:

--luck that is punishing such as after 2+ hours of play, a die roll or random card draw determining the outcome
--no "real" solitaire rules, forcing you to make decisions for the other side and essentially create a solo experience (as opposed to having one thought of and designed for you)

Neutral for me is:

--rules. If the rules stink I can figure it out. (If the game design stinks, that's another story.)

I'm assuming subscribers to this game like it so perhaps you can tell me what you like about it in light of what I've written to help me make a decision.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's been a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure it has genuine solo rules. It certainly meets your requirement of obscure. I really like the theme and artwork and it has some interesting decisions.

I think a turn consists of:
- Choosing to either go to the next location on the main route, or attempt to flank, which gives an advantage in the fight.
- If you fail to flank, you draw a random location card.
- Draw cards to see what bad guys you meet, then choose which of your marines you send in.

Decisions include when to regroup, which takes time, but refreshes your marines and weapons. You can call an assault shuttle to skip over some locations, but lose some marines in the process.

It's definitely old school - it has a fairly strong luck factor, so yes can have that thing where it all comes down to a luck draw (it uses cards rather than dice to resolve skill checks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brettellmd wrote:

It's been a while since I played it, but I'm pretty sure it has genuine solo rules. It certainly meets your requirement of obscure. I really like the theme and artwork and it has some interesting decisions.
[...]It's definitely old school - it has a fairly strong luck factor, so yes can have that thing where it all comes down to a luck draw (it uses cards rather than dice to resolve skill checks).
Thanks for reply. Do you play Warfighter? This is what is (possibly??) reminds me the most of, minus the dice element. Is there a squad creation component?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

call yourself a lucky one! Get the game by all means.
It is a great investment when it comes to turn it into a very challenging, entertaining, and never boring game system.
The mechanics, the topic, the flow, the story, etc. are really unique. Of course, other games share some elements (or vice-versa). But the combination of all those elements makes PRSM a great game.

The infamous rules ... yeah, they are quite a story by themselves. But you can "decrypt" them. Solitaire rules ... yeah, included but rather clumsy. A few tunings and PRSM turns into a real diamond, shiny and valuable.

But if you insist of using only what's in the box ... DO NOT acquire it. You will be disappointed.

The first step to make it a big pleasure ... replace the game board with a set of Location cards et al. This way you get a glimpse of the game's potential.

Then add your own Marines. I prefer the drop dead gorgeous looking ones like A.G.G. (nickname GIZMO) and S.J.D. (nickname MEDUSA).
coollaugh

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
brettellmd wrote:

[...]It's definitely old school - it has a fairly strong luck factor, so yes can have that thing where it all comes down to a luck draw (it uses cards rather than dice to resolve skill checks).
Thanks for reply. Do you play Warfighter? This is what is (possibly??) reminds me the most of, minus the dice element. Is there a squad creation component?

WARFIGHTER requires one team per mission, in PRSM you build up to 5 teams at the same time. And you will regroup and form new teams during the course of the mission, rest assured!

Assigning weapons and equipment is different. The weapon systems are not defined explicitly, i.e. assault rifle x, grenade y, and so on. The instruments of destruction and killing are defined by physical categories (if this is the right word to use):
There are kinetic weapons (destruction and kill by energy of movement).
Missiles (ranged weapons with capability to move and react independently).
Energy (sheer energy effects, e.g. light, heat).
Contact weapons (destruction and kill by affecting the target directly, e.g. slicing it open, shredding it, clobber it, etc.).

Warfighter provides quite a bunch of missions. The original PRSM just ONE.
But there is no law against adding your own missions. So far I got a total of 8 missions.

PRSM uses cards instead of dice for the required random number generation. Hint: Add a separate deck for this mechanism instead of using the same deck (weapons) for both purposes. This speeds up play tremendously and cuts the rather disturbing link between available weapons and generated random numbers.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is totally different to warfighter.

You don't keep weapons, you just play a weapon card as your 'contribution' to a battle, so weapons are basically one-shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Uwe, for your detailed description of the game. Most appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
It is totally different to warfighter.

You don't keep weapons, you just play a weapon card as your 'contribution' to a battle, so weapons are basically one-shots.
Yes, I was just saying that the card progression through locations, etc. on a mission reminded me of Warfighter. I'm sure the mechanics are totally different, etc. Doesn't matter really one way or the other--that was more of a musing than a requirement or a factor in getting the game. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.