Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: For those delicate flowers of RSP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Town_Idiot_on_Parade [+] [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


I'm a special snowflake rather than a delicate flower, but I honestly don't care.

That said, seems like the protests against the names are hitting them in their wallet - the invisible hand seems to have got it under control.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
No.

No.

No.

I love being a delicate flower!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


I'm a special snowflake rather than a delicate flower, but I honestly don't care.

That said, seems like the protests against the names are hitting them in their wallet - the invisible hand seems to have got it under control.


So, no?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


Yes.
Mostly no.
While grossly insensative, no.

Mostly its the casual insensativity and indifference of the powerful conquerers to the conquered.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?
It doesn't matter to me what the fans and teams think, mean or intend. Using the image (characterization or otherwise) of a defeated and oppressed people to glorify a meaningless private sport for profit is totally understandable as offensive to said people. The issue is not how the users feel, it is how the oppressed feel.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


Yes.
Mostly no.
While grossly insensative, no.

Mostly its the casual insensativity and indifference of the powerful conquerers to the conquered.


Why do you think it is insensitive if the purpose was not to mock people?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?
It doesn't matter to me what the fans and teams think, mean or intend. Using the image (characterization or otherwise) of a defeated and oppressed people to glorify a meaningless private sport for profit is totally understandable as offensive to said people. The issue is not how the users feel, it is how the oppressed feel.


how is it oppressive?
Why is it BAD to be used as a mascot for a team?
Why arent COWBOYS pissed off?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of delicate flowers/snowflakes. Anyone who thinks that they should keep their racist logos/team names because it makes it more immersive for them to root for multi-millionaires playing a game, no matter how it causes insult to others, is a special kind of entitlement.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Speaking of delicate flowers/snowflakes. Anyone who thinks that they should keep their racist logos/team names because it makes it more immersive for them to root for multi-millionaires playing a game, no matter how it causes insult to others is a special kind of entitlement.


WHERE is the insult?
WHAT is the insult?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
how is it oppressive?
Why is it BAD to be used as a mascot for a team?
Why arent COWBOYS pissed off?
Maxo and I both said it, it trivializes their suffering from the past, present and probably future. You pretend you are honoring their prowess, bravery and fierceness for entertainment purposes.

Every once in awhile a football player is called to task when they claim to be "soldiers" going into "battle" because it trivializes the sacrfice and service of actual soldiers who fight in actual battles. This is exactly the same thing, except worse because these people have had so much of their livelihood stolen by U.S. entities both public and private.
9 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking a bunch of white guys if Native American mascots are offensive is polling the wrong audience. If Native American's think it's offensive then maybe it is.
17 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
how is it oppressive?
Why is it BAD to be used as a mascot for a team?
Why arent COWBOYS pissed off?
Maxo and I both said it, it trivializes their suffering from the past, present and probably future. You pretend you are honoring their prowess, bravery and fierceness for entertainment purposes.

Every once in awhile a football player is called to task when they claim to be "soldiers" going into "battle" because it trivializes the sacrfice and service of actual soldiers who fight in actual battles. This is exactly the same thing, except worse because these people have had so much of their livelihood stolen by U.S. entities both public and private.


So people view it as LITERALLY a bunch of Indians FIGHTING against a pack of blue jays?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
wow 'moi' were NO such lone one "PWN" Ima 'bouquet' "B"!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
So people view it as LITERALLY a bunch of Indians FIGHTING against a pack of blue jays?
Do you think veterans and serving military personnel are delicate snowflakes for saying football players are disrespectful?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
So people view it as LITERALLY a bunch of Indians FIGHTING against a pack of blue jays?
Do you think veterans and serving military personnel are delicate snowflakes for saying football players are disrespectful?


False equivalency is false.
Someone PURPOSELY being disrespectful is different.
Or can you not see a distinction?
Oh wait.
Are you saying that they picked their teams names to say, FUCK YOU INDIANS!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
False equivalency is false.
Someone PURPOSELY being disrespectful is different.
Or can you not see a distinction?
Oh wait.
Are you saying that they picked their teams names to say, FUCK YOU INDIANS!
Did you not read my post? I wasn't talking about Kapernick and the kneeling bunch. Try to pay attention. I was talking about taking someone else's name/identity (sacrifice/suffering) in vain in order to glorify yourself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
False equivalency is false.
Someone PURPOSELY being disrespectful is different.
Or can you not see a distinction?
Oh wait.
Are you saying that they picked their teams names to say, FUCK YOU INDIANS!
Did you not read my post? I wasn't talking about Kapernick and the kneeling bunch. Try to pay attention. I was talking about taking someone else's name/identity (sacrifice/suffering) in vain in order to glorify yourself.


If the players are saying it as a, fuck the military, im a real fucking soldier, those guys are a bunch of fucking pussies. Then yes, that is disrespectful.
DO I think the players think that?
No.
So Yeah, people are being over sensitive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?
It doesn't matter to me what the fans and teams think, mean or intend. Using the image (characterization or otherwise) of a defeated and oppressed people to glorify a meaningless private sport for profit is totally understandable as offensive to said people. The issue is not how the users feel, it is how the oppressed feel.


how is it oppressive?
Why is it BAD to be used as a mascot for a team?
Why arent COWBOYS pissed off?



Cowboys aren't pissed off because the Federal Government didn't round all of them up, force them to sign treaties knowing they would be broken, and then made them live on inhospitable land.

Next question?
18 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


Yes.
Mostly no.
While grossly insensitive, no.

Mostly its the casual insensitivity and indifference of the powerful conquerors to the conquered.


Why do you think it is insensitive if the purpose was not to mock people?


Ignorance (oblivious to the fact it was offensive) and then pride (we are not gonna change the name!)

Before- it was like the person in front of you at the movie theater reading texts on their cell phone.

Now- it's like you and several others have told the person their cell phone was too bright and bothering you and they continue to read texts anyway.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First they try to take our mascots. Then they try to take Columbus day from us. What next, are they going to try to take our land?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


Seriously?

This near where I grew up.



You were saying?

(I picked one w/ a date on it to be straightforward, but it was that way for 40 years. It was obviously picked to be derogatory, right? Why can't other places too?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?
It doesn't matter to me what the fans and teams think, mean or intend. Using the image (characterization or otherwise) of a defeated and oppressed people to glorify a meaningless private sport for profit is totally understandable as offensive to said people. The issue is not how the users feel, it is how the oppressed feel.


how is it oppressive?
Why is it BAD to be used as a mascot for a team?
Why arent COWBOYS pissed off?



Cowboys aren't pissed off because the Federal Government didn't round all of them up, force them to sign treaties knowing they would be broken, and then made them live on inhospitable land.

Next question?



You didnt really answer the question... Or anything at all really.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Do you think that teams like the Indians and the Braves and the Redskins say the name of their team with disdain or disrespect?
Do you think the players or the fans say the names as an insult?
Do you think the mascots were chosen to be able to constantly MOCK a group of people?


Seriously?

This near where I grew up.



You were saying?

(I picked one w/ a date on it to be straightforward, but it was that way for 40 years. It was obviously picked to be derogatory, right? Why can't other places too?)


I cant see the picture.
What is it of?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
If the players are saying it as a, fuck the military, im a real fucking soldier, those guys are a bunch of fucking pussies. Then yes, that is disrespectful.
DO I think the players think that?
No.
So Yeah, people are being over sensitive.
So, that is your line for being disrespectful? Direct and blatant insults? Then, since you alluded to them, you must not think Kapernick is disrespectful either. He and the others are not saying "Fuck all the soldiers who died and were maimed for freedom", they are just refusing to stand. You don't believe they are literally kneeling on fallen soldiers and yelling screw you to them do you?

In any case, we aren't the ones that can judge if someone is being over sensitive. You are free to insult Native Americans and Veterans all you want, but if you make a profit on it, then expect for a blizzard of snowflakes to impede your business.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.