Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played War of the Ring w/ new Warriors of Middle Earth expansion. We didn't use Lords so as to keep the game more manageable. Some brief thoughts:

More cards to manage. Whereas Lords swapped out cards from the base game or added a couple to each deck, here each player has a third Faction Deck. So you have up to 10 cards in your hand at once. You're drawing 3 per turn normally, one from each deck. Can get some getting used to having to manage that many cards. Faction cards esp tend to build up, esp early. As discussed in other threads, more so than the base game, you'll play the Factions based on the cards you get, not necessarily which ones you want to bring in.

As the Free People, I eventually got all three into play. First the Dead Men via an event that allowed them in play if Aragorn was in Rohan. Between that and Dark Door ( the Army of the Dead can move through the mountains to Rohan ) it allowed me to bypass the already conquered Minas Tirith and crown Aragorn in Dol Amroth. The downside is that once he's with the Dead, they dissolve if he leaves. So he basically camped outside Dol Amroth and harassed the Shadow player.

Eagles came in next, didn't do a ton, but did allow Strider and Gimi to separate and travel south quicker.

Ents came in last. Didn't actually activate, but I had an event that gave them a free recruit if Saruman used his special Muster ability. Wary about all the Ents, he only mustered normally - but this was enough, as the Dunlendings came in shortly after and were used as cannon fodder to help take Helms Deep.

Meanwhile the Fellowship had both good and bad luck. Bad luck - the first three tiles drawn were 3, 3, 2. Gandalf died early, followed by Legolas and Boromir . Good news is an event card removed an Eye tile, but even better - I got to the 10 space on the Fellowship track and never got revealed. So he wasn't able to do much Corruption ( I had 3 ) before I got to Mordor.

As soon as I did, be brought the Spiders into play as well as the Shelob tile ( now part of the Faction Deck ) . His next two Hunt draws were 3 Stop, and Shelob - for which he rolled a 6 ! 11 Corruption with two spaces still to go. I tried fishing for a healing card, but he got some hot dice and took Dol Amroth for his 10th VP ( along with Helms Deep, Minas Tirith, Lorien, Pelargir, Dale ) .

Great game, we're playing again next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aragorn was stuck with the army of the dead and then Strider separated from Gimli? I didn't realize that he could be in two places at once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mpalframan wrote:
Aragorn was stuck with the army of the dead and then Strider separated from Gimli? I didn't realize that he could be in two places at once

Hehe - well spotted! I'm thinking the OPs recollection might be slightly off.

My guess is the Eagles actually came first and helped get Strider and Gimli south, allowing the Dead Men to come into ply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct, I wasn't taking notes while playing. Eagles flew STRIDER and GIMLI south to Rohan. Then the Dead Men came into play, Strider moved the Dead Men one space to Dol Amroth where he was crowned and became Aragorn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
In order to manage the cards here is what we use for faction, it fits exactly 4

Still I feel the game now has way, WAY too many cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.