GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,742 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

51st State: Master Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New York and Federation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi,

I've played the game twice now (first play with wife, second one with friends), but never finished it, since we were just play-testing Essen loot one hour each.
For the Merchants and the Mutants the strategy seems quite simple: while the Merchants prioritize deals (getting blue arrows is easy), the Mutants focus on looting (red arrows are easy to get).
For the New York and the Federation factions on the other hand there doesn't seem to be an obvious strategy. The two games that we've played so far, we got to ~10 points in each game. That is for the Merchants and Mutants - the other two factions never got that far.
Any suggestions for strategies?

Cheers,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't going to be that helpful to you, but I think that the factions are so similar that they don't have long-term strategies. But I've only played three times. The different faction productions and faction actions may help to decide which cards to keep at set-up and in the first look out phase. After that you construct your VP engine on the fly. But that's just the sense I get after 3 plays, I'm ready to be educated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister mystery
msg tools
mbmb
zemus wrote:
This isn't going to be that helpful to you, but I think that the factions are so similar that they don't have long-term strategies. But I've only played three times. The different faction productions and faction actions may help to decide which cards to keep at set-up and in the first look out phase. After that you construct your VP engine on the fly. But that's just the sense I get after 3 plays, I'm ready to be educated.

I see the slight risk of the mutants and merchants to not get 2 wheels on turn one. But in the games so far contact tokens are very scarse resources and those two simply can generate 7 through the standard conversions, they seem just be much better for that reason. If I am to choose I'd NEVER take New York or Texas, how can those factions be balanced in general.

It is of course not imperial settlers with individual faction decks, but the difference of the factions is not that minor. And i feel it is kind of that for a mojority of the card draws all that generate more contact tokens through standard conversions are just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.