10 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Bathroom and Theater be placed on the Roof? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike J

California
msg tools
The Roof Landing tile states that "Any room that can be placed on the upper floor can be placed on this floor." I had thought that was mostly for the sake of backwards compatibility with the base game, as none of the old tiles have a roof section marked on the back.

However, two of the new tiles- Bathroom and Theater- have "Upper" but not "Roof" marked on the back. All of the other new "Upper" tiles also list "Roof". Is there something different about the Bathroom and Theater or is this a non-functional typo?

For ease of gameplay, I'm thinking it makes the most sense to place these on the roof and treat them just like any of the base game tiles that list "Upper". That being said, it seems weird that "Roof" would not also be listed on the backs of these tiles like it is on all of the other new ones. Am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I don't understand why they even added the roof as it really doesn't change game play all that much while causing a mess with the base game.

With there being so few components in this expansion to begin with (yes I know the two books take a lot of man hours to make but you get my point), I don't see why they couldn't have just added one more tile sheet with updated rooms from the base game making only some of the "all or upper" tiles having roof on their backs.

I understand that the expansion is only $20 but I feel that people have been waiting for something like this for so long that a $30 expansion (or even a $40 one)with a lot more meat to it regarding tiles, cards, replacement trackers for the piss-poor ones in the base game, another player character or two, etc., would have been drastically better.

And no I don't mean more tokens as they shouldn't have included any in the expansion (besides the player ones as they will actually be useful) and should have just used the generic ones in the base game.

Wow, that got out of hand quick. Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Mathis
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I would guess that they can be placed on the Roof, since they can technically be placed on the Upper Floor. I'd just consider it a typo, but that's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daren S
msg tools
I personally think the landing for the roof is just wrong and only roof marked tiles go there....as evidenced by the room tiles you are referring to. I mean, who puts the only bathroom in an attic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Upper Landing text is correct, and the Bathroom and Theater tiles are correctly marked (as Upper but not Roof).

Why would we do this? There are a few effects that tell you, either directly or indirectly, to get a roof tile. Those effects include the Rookery but not the Theater.

Non-spoilery examples: if something says to get a tile that matches the floor you're on, and you're on the Upper floor, the Rookery is not such a tile. Conversely, if an event card tells you to get a roof tile from the room stack (say, because you rolled 3+ on your Sanity roll), the Spiral Staircase is valid, but the Bathroom isn't.

Thanks for playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Adkins
msg tools
chadpbrown wrote:
The Upper Landing text is correct, and the Bathroom and Theater tiles are correctly marked (as Upper but not Roof).

Why would we do this? There are a few effects that tell you, either directly or indirectly, to get a roof tile. Those effects include the Rookery but not the Theater.

Non-spoilery examples: if something says to get a tile that matches the floor you're on, and you're on the Upper floor, the Rookery is not such a tile. Conversely, if an event card tells you to get a roof tile from the room stack (say, because you rolled 3+ on your Sanity roll), the Spiral Staircase is valid, but the Bathroom isn't.

Thanks for playing!

So, let me get this straight: the Theater and Bathroom are technically not Roof tiles, for the purpose of effects that specifically require Roof Tiles to be found/placed/in existence, but because they ARE treated as Upper Landing rooms, you can still put them on the Roof floor, as per the effect of the Roof Landing. That sounds rather confusing, but eh *shrugs*. Probably would've been better had stickers for new backings listing which of the old tiles can go on the roof or not were printed, like how the Pandemic expansion "On the Brink" has a sticker to put on the original board for the mutation strain, instead of giving you a brand new board with all of the strain spots on it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike J

California
msg tools
Thank you for the clarification, Chad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak directly to the "what would have been better" question, but even if we assume that there were hypothetical (magical, no-downside) changes to the base set's room tiles, that still wouldn't have given us the same set of effects we have now -- tiles that can be drawn and placed on the Roof and Upper floors, but which can be called out distinctly by different effects.

In other words, this way gives us some design space that the other way doesn't have. Is that design space worth the overhead? That's a very tricky question, and you might be right. My best, honest response is "time will tell".

In the meantime, thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenyx V
msg tools
So to confirm, there are 3 ways a tile can be placed in the house: exploration, saying something like "place the bathroom in the house," and saying something like "find the next roof tile and place it in the house".

Exploring on the roof you take the first thing you see labeled roof or upper (or both).

Placing the bathroom in the house because it is labeled "upper", it must be placed in upper, not roof.

Finding the next roof tile and placing it in the house, I'm guessing you skip over bathroom because it is not a "roof tile"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Johnston
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes, this is confusing. We had the same issue last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.