$35.00
art vandelay
msg tools
mbmb
Just happened: a chapelled deck with only 5 cards and an ongoing dungeon.
You cannot draw, do you have to discard two cards anyway ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artvandelay71 wrote:
Without referencing the card "FAQ" in the rulebook, I'm going to say "yes".

In general with Dom. you do as much on the card as you can. Anything that's conditional would be addressed as such, like saying "if you do..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artvandelay71 wrote:
Golden Rule in Dominion: do as much as you can. So yes, you discard nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art vandelay
msg tools
mbmb
thanks, i thought so, but the player who painted themselves into that corner disagrees

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artvandelay71 wrote:
thanks, i thought so, but the player who painted themselves into that corner disagrees
Then he's just playing another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art vandelay
msg tools
mbmb
I should have added that the FAQ is totally unhelpful in that respect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artvandelay71 wrote:
Because no FAQ is needed for Dominion. Ever. Apart from Possession (from Dominion: Alchemy). In Dominion, you read the card carefully, word-by-word and follow it literally as fully as possible. This is a base-game rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
artvandelay71 wrote:
Because no FAQ is needed for Dominion. Ever. Apart from Possession (from Dominion: Alchemy). In Dominion, you read the card carefully, word-by-word and follow it literally as fully as possible. This is a base-game rule.

To be fair, there may be an official FAQ somewhere (if not here, then on DominionStrategy.com). If true, I don't remember it being very big at all.

Also, even though it doesn't use the terminology "FAQ", the backs of every rulebook for Dom. have contained what's essentially an FAQ (so by function, if not by name). Some of them weren't really needed (you read it and think, "well duh"), but they've covered most of the cases that you would think of.

Contrast that to other DBG... Ascension rulebooks are only 2 to 8 pages long, but many of them needed an extra 2 to 8 pages to address specific questions with card interactions and unique case scenarios. TBF, their website may cover it, but it would've been nice to include this in the rulebook.

Thunderstone's (original or 2nd edition) rulebook tells you that when I doubt, have the group agree on something and go with it. TBF, TS is much more complex than Dom., and they'll have a harder time covering everything. However, with Dom., it still says a lot when it's easier to talk about all of these issues because... there aren't that many of them left unaddressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Also, even though it doesn't use the terminology "FAQ", the backs of every rulebook for Dom. have contained what's essentially an FAQ (so by function, if not by name). Some of them weren't really needed (you read it and think, "well duh"), but they've covered most of the cases that you would think of.

I'm not sure what you're looking at. The base Dominion rulebook just has: the basic rules for playing Dominion itself, then the rules for each of the cards, then the recommended sets. I don't see any "FAQ" or anything like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I'm not sure what you're looking at. The base Dominion rulebook just has: the basic rules for playing Dominion itself, then the rules for each of the cards, then the recommended sets. I don't see any "FAQ" or anything like that.

Bolded part of your reply is what he was referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Bolded part of your reply is what he was referring to.

The rulebook for Dominion contains information about each card that there's no way you could learn by looking at the card. Those are actual rules of play, not just an FAQ. The text on the card is just a summary; the rulebook itself contains the actual rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
The rulebook for Dominion contains information about each card that there's no way you could learn by looking at the card. Those are actual rules of play, not just an FAQ. The text on the card is just a summary; the rulebook itself contains the actual rules.
I think that's an opinion that you and a minority of serious (whatever that means) Dominion players have. I've never seen anyone else espouse that stance.

I view those sections in the rules as clarifications, provided to detail the edge cases that might not be obvious from an otherwise-careful reading of the rules and the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
clarifications, provided to detail the edge cases that might not be obvious from an otherwise-careful reading of the rules and the cards.

Isn't that what "rules" do? Clarify the situations otherwise not specified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.