Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I have been invited to an upcoming TI3 session and I am looking for a good rules video, if possible in the lines of Paul Grogan's TTA video. I am an avid eurogamer and huge fan of Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization and Mage Knight Board Game but I'd still love to try this baby out for the experience.

There is already a similar thread (Recommend an overview video) but I am looking for a rules video to actually learn the game and most details, not just an overview/review one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have you had a look at this by RTFM:
https://youtu.be/muB1zGDGVzk

Seems to cover a lot.
Regards, Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you're asking for a video, but this 3-Player Rules Guide is great for learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Miller
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
I know you're asking for a video, but this 3-Player Rules Guide is great for learning the game.

I second this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalman wrote:

Seems to cover a lot.
Regards, Sal

That guy is quite annoying to my taste - too fast, too over the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salman Qaisar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Zalman wrote:

Seems to cover a lot.
Regards, Sal

To be fair, I think u have to be fast to cover all the rules in 30mins!
But it was just a suggestion.
I liked the video, so thought it was worth pointing others to.
No harm in watching for a few mins, then decide if too fast for you.
Regards, Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sal, Adam and others thank you all for your kind inputs. I will probably check out both the video and the guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's ultimatelz up to Jorge to check and decide - who am I to deny him anything

Quote:
To be fair, I think u have to be fast to cover all the rules in 30mins!

That is the point for me - you CANNOT reasonably cover TI3 in 30 minutes, if you want to explain it properly. What you end up with is a sped-up blurr of rules and explanations.

I would rather the guy takes more time, splits it up in 3 (or more) videos with appropriate topic coverage and then you would have a comprehensive series of videos that you can digest in one or more sittings - and review a topic you did not fully understand again.

If someone would put the aforementioned 3-player guide into an animated video with a voiceover... kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of the RTFM video! I have taught several groups with that video without complaint. It is a great overview that will get people started, but as with any boardgame video you will ultimately have to do some supplemental teaching. There's something about actually seeing the board and moving the pieces around that makes a game click whenever I'm teaching anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Zalman wrote:

Seems to cover a lot.
Regards, Sal

Yep, he's annoying. But he does a very good job of explaining the game in a very short timeframe. I usually watch this video to give myself a refresher before our annual game of TI3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Honestly, I've watched videos, read the manual, FAQ, forums, re-read the manual, posted questions on forums, wrote newsletters for my group, re-wrote the rulebook in a condensed format, made diagrams... so on, so forth.

Still, every time I play I need to reference the rules one in awhile to remember certain things. (does the Speaker or the person holding the Political card vote last? P.S. it's the Speaker, etc.) It's hard to be the rulebook person for this game as there's lots of subtleties.

We also played that we would interpret the rules as we recalled them as best as possible (we would state what we thought it was) and we would either go with majority if everyone agreed (with the plan to look into it more after the game) or if it was a big problem, we would look up the rules in the rulebook. We made some mistakes, but we got on with the game and corrected the mistakes in following games.

Ultimately, no matter how much you train, it comes down to how well the lowest common denominator at the table knows about the game. I think the Twilight Imperium in 32 minutes (don't get me wrong, this guy rubs me the wrong way) gives you a good overview, but I can't help but recommend reading the rulebook (albeit it's a much easier read after you watch a video, or re-read it with context after)

When we played our mandate was not to optimize (don't do the BEST thing, do the BEST thing you can think of when it's your turn to go) so we had short downtime.

It still takes forever but it's important that your group is determined and trains in advance. It can't be under-stated. This is not a show up and play game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel and the crew of the DT recently played a live session of TI3 (it's Sam's favorite game). They were checking the rules about every 10-15 minutes during a 5+ hour campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbQ3RMaObo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.