Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Z
United States
Playa Vista
California
flag msg tools
Codenames: Artist

A variant of codenames that I thought up, first attempt trying it out was a success.

The concept is very simple, instead of the clue givers giving a word and a number, they instead draw a picture and give a number. The rest of the game works the same.

The following rules are to keep the game from being too easy, and can be tweaked based on group preference.

The clue giver can only draw when the timer is ticking on their turn (No drawing before the timer is started, or after the timer ends). The sand timer that came with the game seemed to be the right amount of time.
After the grid is first revealed, the timer should be flipped after about a minute. After that, once it becomes a clue givers turn, the timer should be flipped immediately.
The number must be written down near the picture, and this also must be done while the timer is ticking, if no number is written on the picture, then only one guess is allowed.
The number written may be zero or the infinity symbol and would be treated the same way as in the normal game.
Everything you draw must be part of one picture, not just a bunch of unrelated pictures for all the cards. As an example, you can't draw a lion and then put a refrigerator next to the lion, but you can draw a lion opening a refrigerator (As this can be very subjective this rule may be hard to enforce).
No drawing arrows or symbols, or circling parts of the picture.

One thing to note is that some words are a LOT easier than others, but regardless it was still fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea. It's like telestrations meets codenames.

I can't fathom how awful I would be at giving clues this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just make the change of allowing a number to be said instead of needing to write it ahead of time, as I see little advantage of doing it that way. you can require the number be said during the time limit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun variant, and a good use of the timer. Definitely agree with the suggestion the number can be stated, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Z
United States
Playa Vista
California
flag msg tools
Either way is fine, I don't think it affects the game play at all. I personally prefer having the clue giver write it down so now there is no required in game talking from the clue givers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suppose you had to use a Concept board to give clues for Codenames?

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zilch wrote:
Everything you draw must be part of one picture, not just a bunch of unrelated pictures for all the cards. As an example, you can't draw a lion and then put a refrigerator next to the lion, but you can draw a lion opening a refrigerator (As this can be very subjective this rule may be hard to enforce).

My question on this would be, what constitutes a picture? Codenames: Pictures does a great job of synthesizing several ideas into one image. If my words are octopus, bark, and diamond, can I draw a tentacled dog throwing a baseball? Technically, that's just one picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Zilch wrote:

My question on this would be, what constitutes a picture? Codenames: Pictures does a great job of synthesizing several ideas into one image. If my words are octopus, bark, and diamond, can I draw a tentacled dog throwing a baseball? Technically, that's just one picture.

my hypothesis is it doesn't really work as a competitive game, but with a short enough timer, it could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.