BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Easy to get into wargame with minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother wants to play a wargame. He's getting nostalgic about warhammer. What are some great wargames that are easy to get into and don't cost too much? A stand-alone box game like battle lore is an option or expandable like drop zone commander and malifeaux or warmachine etc, cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44? Has miniatures, as far as I know the prototypical entry-level wargame. But then, I'm not a wargamer, which might be a help or a hindrance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a wargame (i.e., a military simulation) or a fantasy warfare miniatures game? For example, an easy to get into wargame with minis would be Memoir '44. But I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes of Normandie and Conflict of Heroes are often referred to as miniatures wargames without miniatures. The bonus is that they are not as expensive as miniatures games.

There are a number of Art of Tactic games by Zevezda that are relatively inexpensive miniatures games and 'expansions' (a.k.a. more minis) are only $3-10 dollars a piece.

Also, any of the Commands and colors games with a few boxes of the appropriate Airfix figures work great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've already mentioned Malifaux. Beautiful minis, extremely deep gameplay, very expandable. There's a 2-player box set that comes with everything you need. That'd be my choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tactics: Revised Core Set. There are several starter sets out and a free download of the current rules on their website. It has a Weird War II setting with beautiful minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore is great fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A non realistic theme is preferre fantasy favourite, sci-fi or steam 2nd. Thanks for the replies please keep them coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game and Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in keeping costs down, there are rules for fighting mecha built with Lego blocks (assuming you have lots of them sitting around). Someone help me with the name of it...

Otherwise, I'll second Heroes of Normandie as being somewhere in between a miniatures and hex & counter wargame. Lots of fun with card play to keep things interesting.

Have you heard that Blood Bowl (Third Edition) may be coming with a new fourth edition soon?

Malifaux (second edition) would seem to be a good way to go if you miss the minis painting and scenery building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
If you're interested in keeping costs down, there are rules for fighting mecha built with Lego blocks (assuming you have lots of them sitting around). Someone help me with the name of it...

Otherwise, I'll second Heroes of Normandie as being somewhere in between a miniatures and hex & counter wargame. Lots of fun with card play to keep things interesting.

Have you heard that Blood Bowl (Third Edition) may be coming with a new fourth edition soon?

Malifaux (second edition) would seem to be a good way to go if you miss the minis painting and scenery building.

Personally I really don't miss painting or scenery building one bit but apparently my brother does... Though I have my doubts as to how much he will still miss it once the reality sets in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux is pretty slick. The miniatures are great, but they do require assembly and painting (if you're into that). The good news is that you only need a "crew" per side, so it's pretty easy to keep the cost down. As mentioned, there's a starter box that provides you with two small crews and everything else you need to play in one box. Beyond that, a single crew box isn't too expensive, so if you want to keep going you can.

All that being said, it is a miniatures game... so once you get into it, there's more than you can throw money at laugh.

For a more boxed experience, I'd recommend BattleLore (Second Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Halowell

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend BattleLore (Second Edition).
I think it's an awesome game, and has lots of variety.
There's an app version too if you want to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.