Subject: Too much Alliance & Reaver interferance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Hart
United Kingdom
Yelverton,
Devon
flag msg tools
We have recently attempted 'The Scavengers Verse' with 4 players, and all three boards.
We did all the right things as far as Set-Up was concerned, all card packs corrected for Reaver/Alliance additions, and a good understanding of how the Reaver Alert tokens should be administered.
Everything is as it should be.

But .......
There are just too many opportunities for the Reavers and the Alliance to get in the way.
Three hours into the game, and we are not getting anywhere. The moment we get a decent crew member, he/she either gets snatched or eaten.

What's the point of having a drive unit that can power you eight sectors across the board when you're only going to be able move two sectors before you are either 'full stopped' or you have to evade.
The whole board becomes a mess of Reaver and Alliance tokens, and it slows the game up dreadfully.

I realise that they are both an important part of the Firefly 'verse, but the number of cards allowing them to interfere is disproportionate to the progress of the game.

In order to make this work, I'm going to have to remove some of the cards from both packs to limit their impact on the game.
Does anyone have a (sensible) recommendation as to how many cards (and possibly which cards) should be omitted ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick guess I suspect you are not removing alert tokens in sectors after rolling for them, no matter what the result - we did that our first game yuk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Alliance cruiser and the Operative's Corvette don't leave behind Alert tokens unless the mission or a nav card says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andy hart wrote:
The moment we get a decent crew member, he/she either gets snatched or eaten.

What's the point of having a drive unit that can power you eight sectors across the board when you're only going to be able move two sectors before you are either 'full stopped' or you have to evade.

For the Snatched thing, the Alliance only goes after wanted crew. Simple solution to that is to only hire crew without warrants or to pick up things like Fake ID or Cry Babies to protect them. There are ways to protect from the Reavers as well with various ship upgrades.

There are a couple upgrades that let you ignore nav cards as you move which help you make use of larger drive units. Sometimes picking a slightly longer path to get where you need to go in order to avoid alert tokens can help as well.

As someone else said too, be sure that you are removing alert tokens once they are resolved as well regardless of the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
andy hart wrote:
The moment we get a decent crew member, he/she either gets snatched or eaten.

For the Snatched thing, the Alliance only goes after wanted crew. Simple solution to that is to only hire crew without warrants or to pick up things like Fake ID or Cry Babies to protect them. There are ways to protect from the Reavers as well with various ship upgrades.

Just pointing out for the newbies (I'm sure you know this) that FAKE ID does not automatically keep one wanted crew member safe. It's only if it specifically says on the gear card that it will keep a crew member safe.

I think there is some FAKE ID gear that don't have that (though I'm open for correction since I don't have the cards with me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hart
United Kingdom
Yelverton,
Devon
flag msg tools
Hi Guys.

I'm quite an experienced Firefly player, albeit usually with two or three players, but we've not had a game so badly tied up as this one.
I appreciate your efforts and advice, but everything you've mentioned, we have taken into account.

Being as avid a Firefly fan as I am, I am fully conversant with the 'verse' and it's perils, and it's clear that with all three sets in play, there are too many A/R opportunities for the game to proceed as intended.
You only need a couple of players to pull the wrong Alliance card and have all sectors around their ship 'alerted', and all of a sudden, you're playing hopscotch.

As for getting snatched, all of the BEST crew are villains, and who wants to cram their ship with 'expendable' dross.

With regret, I see little option other than to alter the parameters of Alliance/Reaver occurance by manipulating the cards.
Perhaps three cards taken out from both sides would balance things out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's interesting to see a thread like this one after so many from the opposite camp - that the NPC ships don't have enough bite!

I'm not dismissing either argument and can see both sides. I will say that with the full board, movements gets much more... event-filled, a dynamic that increases dramatically as the number of players increases.

I don't think Nav Cards that produce Tokens are the culprit, because there are only a handful of them (I believe 3 in Alliance Space, 2 in Border Space, and 4 in Rim Space), and some of them are optional.

There are only 6 cards that move the Alliance Cruiser, so I don't think that's too unreasonable. The Operative is far more mobile, with 6 cards in each deck, for a total of 18. The Reavers are the most active NPC ships, with 12 cards in each of the Border and Rim Space decks, for a total of 24.

So, if you add everything up, NPC movement cards account for 20% of the Alliance Space deck, and 30% of the other two decks. On the other hand, the vast majority of those cards are incredibly situational and will still allow you to continue to take your turn, so I'm not sure that they're all that bad.

I'm not sure what caused the problem in your game, Andy, but I would assume it was either the movement cards or bad luck/timing as opposed to the handful of cards that generate tokens.

Admittedly, the Reavers DO generate tokens as they move (and they get to move quite a bit), but given that the movement is divided between 3 ships, it's often possible to pick one that will do only limited damage to game play.

On Wanted Crew: I agree with you that it's gotten very difficult to keep some good Wanted Crew onboard. Between bounties, Harken, The Operative, and various Nav Cards, I find that it's hardly worth it to carry Wanted Crew any more.

However, I must respectfully disagree that all the best crew are villains. Although, empirically, many of the Moral and Wanted Crew have excellent special abilities to compensate for their limitations, there are any number of excellent "no fuss" Crew: Roberta and Cortland are two of the best Crew in the game, Fess is the only Crew with a built-in Hacking Rig, Chari and The Guardian are great even without their SHOWDOWN bonuses, other new crew from Kalidasa (Grimey, Fan Dancer, Foreman) are all good, the Accountant and Merchants (although nameless) will help you turn a tidy profit, and the Head Goons and Enforcers are good to have onboard.

If the namelessness of them worries you, give 'em names! I often start at Meridian and like to pick up Gaunt (Head Goon) and Mike & Ike (the two Gun Hands there). Another favorite in Grunberg, Badger's Accountant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy hart wrote:
Hi Guys.

I'm quite an experienced Firefly player, albeit usually with two or three players, but we've not had a game so badly tied up as this one.
I appreciate your efforts and advice, but everything you've mentioned, we have taken into account.

Being as avid a Firefly fan as I am, I am fully conversant with the 'verse' and it's perils, and it's clear that with all three sets in play, there are too many A/R opportunities for the game to proceed as intended.
You only need a couple of players to pull the wrong Alliance card and have all sectors around their ship 'alerted', and all of a sudden, you're playing hopscotch.

As for getting snatched, all of the BEST crew are villains, and who wants to cram their ship with 'expendable' dross.

With regret, I see little option other than to alter the parameters of Alliance/Reaver occurance by manipulating the cards.
Perhaps three cards taken out from both sides would balance things out a bit.

Well I can't work out your problem them, unless you roll 1s every time you hit a token, as when we have had all three boards out the NPC ships and tokens are so spread out that a player may not even encounter one.
Perhaps you just had one of those days gulp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hart
United Kingdom
Yelverton,
Devon
flag msg tools
If by "having a bad day", you also meant the Reshuffle Cards making an unwelcome appearance all too often, despite thorough shuffling by various players, then Yeah I'd agree; but you can't odds that (and Yes, I did take out the extra Reshuffles, I'm not a back-birth).

Of course, the moment they do get reshuffled, you end up with much of the nasty back in the pack, and the 'Gou shi' hits the fan again.

Never mind. Thanks for your efforts guys. I guess I'm done here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.