$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Carcassonne: Amazonas» Forums » General

Subject: English rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Leyland
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Hi, does anyone have an English rule book for this? I bought the German version at Essen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Venezuela
Caracas
flag msg tools
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested too, got German version at Essen as well.

There is a quick overview in English here: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=...

However, I would love to get the whole rulebook in English.

TBrown wrote:
Hi, does anyone have an English rule book for this? I bought the German version at Essen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a rules summary based on that link and translations from a German speaking friend. Pretty sure I've covered everything but feel free to correct me if not and I'll update:

Clicky
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Venezuela
Caracas
flag msg tools
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom! You are a legend!

crazylegs wrote:
I've uploaded a rules summary based on that link and translations from a German speaking friend. Pretty sure I've covered everything but feel free to correct me if not and I'll update:

Clicky
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United Kingdom
Leyland
Lancashire
flag msg tools
crazylegs wrote:
I've uploaded a rules summary based on that link and translations from a German speaking friend. Pretty sure I've covered everything but feel free to correct me if not and I'll update:

Clicky


Thanks for that, I'll give it a try
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rules. But I still feel insecure about how boat symbols and tributaries work.

What I don't understand:
* Place tributary with boat placed where two player share majority, does both boats move?
* Connect your tributary to a unclaimed tributary with boat(s), does your boat move?
* If you connect your tributary to another claimed tributary with boat(s), does your boat move? Does opponent boat move, if your "part" had boats?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
novafaen wrote:
Thanks for the rules. But I still feel insecure about how boat symbols and tributaries work.

What I don't understand:
1) Place tributary with boat placed where two player share majority, does both boats move?
2) Connect your tributary to a unclaimed tributary with boat(s), does your boat move?
3) If you connect your tributary to another claimed tributary with boat(s), does your boat move? Does opponent boat move, if your "part" had boats?


Thanks, I need to update the file to clarify:

1) Yes - example on page 7
2) Yes - see example page 4 where the Red boat moves 3 spaces when a tile connects the red meeple to 3 boat symbols
3) Yes - also page 7 (red moves 2 spots and blue just 1, because blue already got the other boat symbol previously)

Also, if you place a tile so that it connects you to boat symbols AND you don't place a meeple/camp on that turn, you'll move your boat both for the symbols and for the non-placing.

The rules also state that it doesn't matter for boat movement if you are not the majority player on the tributary (it does matter for scoring though).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat, thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about timing? Say i am tied for the lead in the boat race, and get an Amazonas tile. Can I place it, advance cause i did not place a meeple, and then score first place?

Also I don't get example with red boat on side four, would it not advance 4 steps? Three for the boats symbols, and one for not placing a meeple.

Sorry for beeing slow learner
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
novafaen wrote:
How about timing? Say i am tied for the lead in the boat race, and get an Amazonas tile. Can I place it, advance cause i did not place a meeple, and then score first place?

Also I don't get example with red boat on side four, would it not advance 4 steps? Three for the boats symbols, and one for not placing a meeple.

Sorry for beeing slow learner


Re the red example: yes it would go 4. I think they are just showing the tiles at that point.

As I understand it the amazon tile is different and you wouldn't advance your boat but I may be mistaken, I'd need a German speaker to confirm that one.

Ah no, I went back and looked at page 6 - the example in box 2 indicates that adding an Amazon tile and not placing a meeple/camp means you move your boat forward. So my assumption is that you do this first, then score.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for all help! Then I think we almost played our first game correct. Only mistake I know is that we counted fruit baskets in end [incomplete] scoring.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's right you do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annabel Seaton
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
I make and sell dice bags! Come see!
mbmbmbmbmb
TBrown wrote:
Hi, does anyone have an English rule book for this? I bought the German version at Essen.


I found the English rules here - http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/en-carc_am...

:-)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
annabelseaton wrote:
TBrown wrote:
Hi, does anyone have an English rule book for this? I bought the German version at Essen.


I found the English rules here - http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/en-carc_am...

:-)


Hooray!
Now let the translation scrutiny begin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Also, if you place a tile so that it connects you to boat symbols AND you don't place a meeple/camp on that turn, you'll move your boat both for the symbols and for the non-placing.


I wish these were in the rules forum, but no matter.

I have a question about this quote.

My understanding for the tile placed is that it must contain a boat symbol in order for the boat to move. In other words:

- Tile with boat placed + meeple placed on tile = move your boat

- Tile with boat placed + tributary already claimed by opponent = move your opponent's boat + move your boat 1 space

- Tile with boat placed + tributary already claimed by you = move your boat 1 space + number of boat symbols

- Tile without boat placed + placed on tributary with boats + meeple placed on tile = move your boat

- Tile without boat placed + tributary already claimed by you = move your boat 1 space

- Tile without boat placed + tributary already claimed by opponent = move your boat 1 space

- Tile without boat placed + meeple placed + no boats on tributary = DO NOT move your boat

Is that all correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
That all sounds correct. Just to clarify, you move your boat if you don't place a piece, whatever kind of tile it is. And in terms of adding to an already claimed tributary, you only count whatever new boat symbols there may be. It's possible to connect to a bunch of boats and move lots of spaces, and an extra space for not placing anything if desired.

Edit: so the placed tile itself doesn't necessarily need to include a boat symbol.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:

Edit: so the placed tile itself doesn't necessarily need to include a boat symbol.


So, you're saying if I place a tile that DOES NOT have a boat symbol on a tributary that I own that has boat symbols, I DO move my boat?

That's not what I was reading in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

Edit: so the placed tile itself doesn't necessarily need to include a boat symbol.


So, you're saying if I place a tile that DOES NOT have a boat symbol on a tributary that I own that has boat symbols, I DO move my boat?

That's not what I was reading in the rules.


No. If you are already on a tributary that has boats you have already scored those boats. You only ever score new boats. If the tile you place has a boat you don't get to score all the previous boats again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
veector wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

Edit: so the placed tile itself doesn't necessarily need to include a boat symbol.


So, you're saying if I place a tile that DOES NOT have a boat symbol on a tributary that I own that has boat symbols, I DO move my boat?

That's not what I was reading in the rules.


No. If you are already on a tributary that has boats you have already scored those boats. You only ever score new boats. If the tile you place has a boat you don't get to score all the previous boats again.


http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/en-carc_am...

See the link above. Top of page 4.

Quote:
Boat icons are found only on tributaries. Each Boat icon lets you advance your boat 1 space on the Amazon River. You apply the effect of these icons immediately after placing a meeple on a tributary with one or more Boat icons, or a tile with a Boat icon is connected (by you
or another player) to a tributary where your meeple is present.
The number of meeples you or other players have on the tributary
has no impact on this movement.
• Your boat can only advance on the Amazon River (i.e., it may not
move back).
• If you would need to advance beyond the last space on the Amazon River,
simply stop on the last space.
• The Amazon River spaces on the Start tile are already connected; each
Amazon tile adds 1 space, and each Amazon double-tile adds 2 spaces.
• Your boat must also advance 1 space whenever you do not place a wooden
piece on your turn (see “Moving the boat” on page 5).
• There can be any number of boats on a single Amazon space


I'm referring to the example on the page which shows a boat icon tile being added to an existing tributary owned by the player. The tile being placed has 1 icon, but there are 2 other on the tributary. The boat moves 3 spaces according to the example.

ON A SEPARATE NOTE

I'm also of the understanding that if the tile placed DID NOT have a boat, nothing would happen except the normal move boat 1 space for not placing a meeple.

EDIT: I see the confusion now, it's not that we disagree on what happens, we disagree about whether or not boat icons can be activated multiple times. My understanding is yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You apply the effect of these icons immediately after placing a meeple on a tributary with one or more Boat icons, or a tile with a Boat icon is connected (by you
or another player) to a tributary where your meeple is present.


I guess we'd need publisher clarification as this can be read different ways. I see it as meaning 'a tile with a boat icon' can be connected to 'a tributary where your meeple is present' using a tile with no boat icon on it (despite the fact that the examples don't use that scenario).

It would seem odd to me in the context of Carc games that this wouldn't be the case, but it may be.

Quote:
I'm referring to the example on the page which shows a boat icon tile being added to an existing tributary owned by the player. The tile being placed has 1 icon, but there are 2 other on the tributary. The boat moves 3 spaces according to the example.


On page 4? The tile placed connects two tributary tiles that were not previously connected to the meeple. So the player is scoring all three for the first time.

In fact, the example on p.7 shows Red connecting two tributaries and advancing 2 boat spots but blue, who already had a boat on their tributary, only advances 1 spot - "(only 1 new icon)".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
Quote:
You apply the effect of these icons immediately after placing a meeple on a tributary with one or more Boat icons, or a tile with a Boat icon is connected (by you
or another player) to a tributary where your meeple is present.


I guess we'd need publisher clarification as this can be read different ways. I see it as meaning 'a tile with a boat icon' can be connected to 'a tributary where your meeple is present' using a tile with no boat icon on it (despite the fact that the examples don't use that scenario).

It would seem odd to me in the context of Carc games that this wouldn't be the case, but it may be.


Ok

crazylegs wrote:

Quote:
I'm referring to the example on the page which shows a boat icon tile being added to an existing tributary owned by the player. The tile being placed has 1 icon, but there are 2 other on the tributary. The boat moves 3 spaces according to the example.


On page 4? The tile placed connects two tributary tiles that were not previously connected to the meeple. So the player is scoring all three for the first time.

In fact, the example on p.7 shows Red connecting two tributaries and advancing 2 boat spots but blue, who already had a boat on their tributary, only advances 1 spot - "(only 1 new icon)".


This makes more sense to me now. I can see how you would only get the movement for the new icons. However, I do wish this was called out specifically in the rules passage on page 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.