Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Hall
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
*Spoiler, Obv*

First playthrough with the Widow's Walk expansion was a fun and yet bizarre one. With four floors on the house, the haunt was finally revealed as "Owl's Moving Castle" with me as the betrayer. Thusly, I was turned into an owl,and lots of bird and hooting puns followed.

The heroes all did their thing. They flew around me, turned back into humans, and tried to attack me with knowledge. However, my knowledge was quite a bit higher than theirs, and their attacks initially had no effect. So, with my remarkable double speed I flew away from them, and into the nearby Mystical elevator.

End of my turn, the house moves two spaces towards the nearest cliff, and the group sees that they are suddenly one space from a dangerous place.

They give chase, all of the group following me into the Mystical Elevator. This is exactly what I want, as I plan, on my next turn, to use the elevator, and relocate it to a space adjacent to the cliffside, then roll it off the cliff, turning everyone into owls with only 1 Sanity.

Again I am attacked with knowledge by 2 players, again, no result. So instead the last player decides to attack me physically to reduce my flight speed. We check the rules. It says that if they make a speed check, they can do so. She does. And she swings at me with the spear. And rolls a total of 12. I defend with my 3 might. I roll a 2. I take 10 damage. I die.

And then everything halted. In-world, the crew are now standing over the body of their friend, who they were trying to save, having been accidentally been bludgeoned to death with a spear. My character weakly reached up from a pool of blood to say his final words... "So, we'll call it a draw." And then he expired.

Really, can either side be said to win this? Our win scenarios were both to convert the other team, not kill them. And now that I don't have any more turns, the house can't even keep moving over the cliffside. Either way, no win condition can be met.

So, I like to think that the group was later arrested for homicide, their excuse of "But your honor, he had turned into an owl and was pushing the mansion over the cliff!" falling on deaf ears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
We were stymied by this one from the very start. We didn't even get as far as you did -- after each side read their respective haunt info, we agreed that it was too confusing to proceed. Do the heroes start as owls or as humans? Also, the book uses the words "figure" and "character card" almost interchangeably, unless we are meant to put those tokens at our figurine's feet. It was all very confusing.

We chose to pretend we hadn't successfully rolled for the haunt, and continued on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Hall
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, its a tough one. I had to read through it a couple times before beginning, and then again to make sure I hadn't missed something that accounts for betrayer death.

A very long way to go for an anime pun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.