Subject: Imperial Assault 3D Printed Tokens (Other projects added) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few months back as part of a project to learn a new 3D modeling program that was different from what I was used to, I designed my take on IA replacement tokens. Since then I've added variants and updated designs but I never really tried too hard to advertise them. I know these primarily appeal to campaign players and people who may like to paint their down terrain. I do print these in grey, black, or white for anyone that may be interested. I try to keep at least a set or two of grey ready to ship, since they take about 9 hours print, so black or white may take a day before shipping. I have shipped a number of these internationally.

I hope to work on other board game projects soon and I'm always open to suggestions or ideas from you guys. I started this because a friend asked me to design a set and the main driving factor for me was to make stuff people enjoy. I'll share a few pictures and a link for anyone interested:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/465470801/star-wars-imperial-as...

If there are other board games or tokens you'd like to see a 3D print of, please let me know.

Update 11/11/16:

Added a couple new items to my shop. First one is a Token Box Organizer. https://www.etsy.com/listing/491083937/star-wars-imperial-as... (Updated the trays to accommodate expansions)

The other is my take on some Squad and Activation Tokens. The Activation Tokens flip from flat side to an engraved side to track activation. https://www.etsy.com/listing/488809193/imperial-assault-squa...

I hope you guys like these and I'm always open to feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Imperial Assault 3D Printed Tokens
Those look good! I'm looking on buying stuff like this soon, I might hit you up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
Those look good! I'm looking on buying stuff like this soon, I might hit you up!

That would be awesome! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, they look great!

As a 3D printing enthusiast/learner I'm curious about your process and tools. If you have time to answer these question that would be really helpful.

•What CAD program do you use/recommend?

•What 3D printer are you using?

•What kind of settings do you use for you prints? i.e. supports and detail levels, etc

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nickv2002 wrote:
Wow, they look great!

As a 3D printing enthusiast/learner I'm curious about your process and tools. If you have time to answer these question that would be really helpful.

•What CAD program do you use/recommend?

•What 3D printer are you using?

•What kind of settings do you use for you prints? i.e. supports and detail levels, etc

Thanks!

Hey Nick,

The CAD program I used for those these prints were 123D Design from Autodesk. It's a free program but not one I would recommend if you are good with programs like Blender or Solidworks. I'm still looking at programs and learning them since I took like a 5 year break from 3D modeling while working on a different career and only recently got back into it and haven't been able to afford the industry standard programs like Z Brush and Solidworks. 123D was something that was made for 3D printing and felt simple enough to do some hard surface modeling, but it can't do organic.

I'm currently using a Wanhao Duplicator i3 as my printer with a few upgrades from the stock model. I use a glass plate with an all metal hot end extruder.

My settings vary a bit between prints. Most of the prints are done at 0.3mm, but a few are hybrids like Crate Type 1 and both Terminal models are done with 0.3mm, but tapers to 0.2mm near the top for the details. I avoid supports because it takes a lot of time to clean and can sometimes have consistency issues, so I model with that in mind to avoid support material. I also print all the models one at a time, and not in a batch like most people would, even though it adds a lot of time to the printing, it minimizes oozing and has a much cleaner look per model. I still print multiple models at once, but the printer finishes one whole model before moving onto next, if that makes sense. If you look closely at the pictures, you can probably spot where I go from 0.3mm to 0.2mm resolution.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Derikku wrote:
Hope that helps!
Thanks, that's great info. I'm just getting started and haven't done CAD for over 10 years (back in college).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Derikku wrote:

If there are other board games or tokens you'd like to see a 3D print of, please let me know.

I think Descent would be a good one! Basically the same stuff you've already done but 'medieval'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered! I am going to paint them up and then stick them in the box and wait until the app comes out from Fantasy Flight to solo through all the campaigns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Roden84 wrote:

I think Descent would be a good one! Basically the same stuff you've already done but 'medieval'...

I'll have to look into that! Do you play personally? I learned from my variant types for IA that I should really take a poll on what to base the tokens off of before finalizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dajebriza wrote:
Ordered! I am going to paint them up and then stick them in the box and wait until the app comes out from Fantasy Flight to solo through all the campaigns!

Thank you for the support! The order has been shipped and I hope you enjoy them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about making thematic token holders?

I'm not requesting any, it just seems to be a neglected area when it comes to game scenery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Have you thought about making thematic token holders?

I'm not requesting any, it just seems to be a neglected area when it comes to game scenery.

I have. I've seen a few on the market and I wouldn't mind making some if anyone here had something specific they wanted. Do you mean just the paper token holders or the figures as well?

I think the main reason why I haven't done it myself yet is that I'm trying to save up for a laser cutter someday and I feel those generally look better than a 3D printed one, but I'm down for designing one if anyone had a request for one that they haven't seen anywhere else before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking of containers for the chits for strain/damage. They are always right by the board, so something that fits the board theme a little better than a plastic dish might be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Token (monster and gate) holders for Eldritch Horror would be awesome. I have been holding off buying any because all the ones I have seen have looked to be hand-molded from clay or other polymer and they just don't seem to fit right or look that great.

I'd definitely buy some nice printed monster token and gate holders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just might design one then this coming week or so. I'll need to find out the dimensions of the various stacks of markers for IA and Eldritch Horror. I'll do some research into it. Do you guys prefer a holder that holds them in a vertical stack with slots on the side to pull them out or something like a slanted crevice to hold them more horizontal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Villa
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for Eldritch Horror the counters are the most visible when they stand vertical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Labelle
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice models thumbsup

Do the doors stay stables during play ?

As a fellow 3D printer enthousiaste I was wondering if you would be incline to share the models files ?

I know you make money from printing them, you could share them with a strict license. You are surely familiar with Thingiverse.com, if not, know that you can upload there and choose a license like "Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - No Derivatives"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Crate type 2 looks great... to be honest tho, the rest of the doors and items look like they belong more on Battlestar Galactica than Star Wars.

They all look great, don't get me wrong--just not really fitting for Star Wars, unless you're trying to incorporate your own style into the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
Ilmion wrote:
Nice models thumbsup

As a fellow 3D printer enthousiaste I was wondering if you would be incline to share the models files ?

They are nice, but they are a bit Battlestar Galactica as mentioned above.

There's another set that's more Star Wars-ish. I sold them a while back on here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1349761/3d-printed-damage-c...

OP: Technically it is against the rules to sell or advertise on BGG, even posting Etsy links. If you want to be approved you need to work with Octavian to pay commissions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't had anyone, yet, tell me the doors weren't stable. I print on a glass plate and so I get a flat and slightly wider bottom. I've been asked and thought about sharing them, but there are other models already available for people to print and even though those are under the same type license, I've seen them pop up all over the place. I don't really have the time or stress to spare to try to chase down those other shops that claim to have designed their own work but really just reselling thingiverse files.

The doors I have to agree may not look the most Star Wars, mainly because I was trying design something different looking than the default for people that may be interested. I didn't want to make the door too plain looking and the actual doors print out much more durable when designed a certain way. Personally I really wanted to make found doors like on the trade federation ships, but I couldn't figure out a way to do double wide doors that looked right in the size requirements. If you had a particular door picture you'd like to see designed, I'd be happy to take a look at it as side project. However, I do want to make time for those token holders this coming week if I can manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quick update. I haven't forgotten about making those token holders, I just have been working on a Descent project on my free time but will be doing those right after. I did have a question regarding those that do own the acrylic tokens. How thick are the acrylic tokens? Also, if you own the acrylic ones, do you already own holders for those? I'd imagine I'd have to make one that would accommodate both sizes, paper and acrylic, or just one that can fit both (but may seem a little large for the paper ones). I have a design in mind that I want to do and I'll throw a picture here once I am able to get around to it.

On a side note, I have added color packs for Squad Markers and Activation Tokens. I know there's a bunch out there but here were my take on them:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Long overdue reply to some of the topics raised here before I make my post with the thematic token boxes I've been working on. A few things I should have addressed sooner but I've been busy and distracted and kept forgetting to write up a proper response.

In regards to sharing the STL files through Thingiverse as "Creative Commons - Attribution - Non-Commercial - No Derivatives", I've thought about it and it's something I'd like to do eventually. I know a number of people would enjoy the files and use it with their printers. The only thing that's holding me back is the worry of having to enforce not having the files being used for someone's monetary gain. I've seen that abuse happen before a number of times and it's a time consuming and stressful situation I don't want to deal with quite yet because I'm trying to place what energy I have into working on designs and trying to discovery where I could take things. I think once I'm in a more stable situation, I'd be happy to upload them onto thingiverse.

In regards to getting approval for advertising here and paying commissions, I had hoped someone would contact me directly and I'm very open to the idea of working out how to track what gets sold through traffic from here and donating it BGG. I've considered using a code that you guys can use for a discount that would also let me track specific sales from here. That's assuming if I can work something out. I do want to point out the slight difference from what I'm trying to do is to involve the community with coming up with ideas they'd like me to work on, rather than myself just trying to come up with a product in a bubble and using this site purely as advertisement. The thematic token holders I'm going to post here soon is an example of something I wouldn't have considered without someone sparking the idea.

Lastly, as far as Eldritch Horror token holders go, I learned from designing the IA ones this past week that there is no easy way for me to do that without owning or using a set of the real tokens on hand to do prototypes with. If I had someone local that wanted to loan me tokens for whichever board game, I'd be more than happy to design trays or token holders and send back a free one as a thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I finally made some time to work on those token trays and even an organizer box for them. I know I'm super long winded in my posts so I'll just keep this about the finished first version for you guys. If anyone was interested in knowing the design process or about the different versions I worked on before settling for this particular design, I'd be happy to share.

I started off with making a token tray:

I ended up making them mostly horizontal rows because it saved space and the tray itself wouldn't break easily like some of the vertical designs I saw.

After making a tray I started to think about how I'd like to store the rest of my tokens and made a box that could hold them all:

I made a second tray for the mission, crate, and terminal tokens that theoretically should make it easier to setup a game since they are organized separate from the rest, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of it. I had to leave the door tokens off the tray designs due to size, but because of their size, they should be easy to pick out from the token pile at the bottom. The trays are held in place by sitting on top of slightly narror walls in box.

Then of course after getting the designs functional, I had to think of what sort of embellishments to add so I decided to go with the typical Imperial, Rebel, or Mandalorian theme lids.

I went with some game symbols as a way to mark what the box was for without having to use letters and I kind of liked the look. Looking forward to hear what you guys think. Can always refine the design, but I did upload this version to my shop here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/491083937/star-wars-imperial-as...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no places for the weakened and hidden condition tokens (and space for 5 each is a little low), but could take places of some of the strain tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derick Hui
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
There are no places for the weakened and hidden condition tokens (and space for 5 each is a little low), but could take places of some of the strain tokens.

Are those from the expansions? I only own the core set right now but I thought I saw some in a few skirmish videos. I need to find out what tokens are included in the expansions. I can easily update a design or make a separate tray for those. With all the expansions, how many tokens of each condition are there? And there are 5 types then, right? Not just the 3 from the core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.