4 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone considered during a reverse league? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Just a random thought I had. This game has a couple of leagues being run here which are always fun.

We recently had the elimination tournament for teams which also was a lot of fun.

I just had a random thought in my head, pondering if it might work.

What if we try to do the same thing, but reverse it?

Instead of picking heroes, the heroes and scheme are already picked for you. But you get to pick the mastermind, villains and henchmen that you'll fight against.

Now generally speaking, of course something needs to be added up (otherwise everyone would pick base set masterminds since they are easiest)

So it's possible to do something like "In this match, the mastermind always has a minimum X attack regardless of who you pick".

Or possibly just give you the choice of X matches with X masterminds to choose from so you always use everyone.

What do you think? Could something like that actually work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For tournament purposes, I assume you rank each player in the same game against one another and then do something different if the players all lose? Why not just still count points if the Mastermind wins, and then it doesn't really matter which Mastermind the players pick; everyone in the same group is playing against the same one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:
So it's possible to do something like "In this match, the mastermind always has a minimum X attack regardless of who you pick".

Or possibly just give you the choice of X matches with X masterminds to choose from so you always use everyone.

What do you think? Could something like that actually work?

Everyone would still pick the base set masterminds pretty much every time. Attack 12 Red Skull or Apocalypse - it's a no brainer.

I suspect that such a league could be run, but would generally be harder to balance. While there are some vague concepts about a hero "ranking", there are only a few definitive examples and with some concentration you can make almost anyone work in a pinch. Conversely, with the masterminds it's much clearer which are weakest, particularly for a given set of heroic opposition.

I suppose you could try to give players a vaguely balanced choice of whole setups (Attack 12 Red Skull & Organized Crimewave or Apocalypse & Cosmic Cube?) to pick from, or give people a few hero teams and a set list of MMs, schemes, VGs and HGs to defeat across all the games.

It would be possible to do, but I wonder whether it would be hard to ensure much variety in the choices the players make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since VPs matter for league, I don't think everyone would pick Red Skull as the mastermind, with or without some sort of attack leveler. Apocolypse is way tougher, but his immortal tactics can generate an impressive amount of points, and (if you win) could certainly give you a much higher ranking with Black Widow than Red Skull could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.