Subject: Game art / look that stopped you from buying a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
A recent one for me is Santorini (2016 version). The cartoon figures on the box just give me indigestion. That alone is a deal breaker.

The game itself look better, I like the blue and white color scheme, except for sitting on that pointless island! What wasted space!

The cards are loathsomely cartoony.

So, anyone else have a game's whose looked prevented them from buying it? (Show the art!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn Drover's Empires: Galactic Rebellion.

They want an 80s video game look. Why? For the love of all that is holy, why?

Even though this is a $100+ dollar kickstarter, the art was the deciding factor that stopped me from buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was considering Glorantha: The Gods War I was put off by the "grossness" of some of the creature sculpts.

I'm sure that for many this art was indeed a bonus, but not me. The game looks interesting and I may end up picking it up some time down the road, but I wasn't gonna pony up the Kickstarter price tag for a product I wasn't completely in love with.

I also originally dismissed Dominant Species as "not my kind of game" due to the abundance of wooden cubes, but the more I've learned about it, the more it's shot to the top of my wishlist. A similar story for Space Empires: 4X and its hex-grid and chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had a chance to pick up glory to Rome but with the cartoony art. It's not so much that the art made me not buy it but rather knowing that there was a version with better art was what stopped me.

I'm sure you all know the art I'm talking about(never added images to a post before)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Food Chain Magnate. If it cost £35, maybe. But too many bucks for how it looks. A shame as I sense my wife would love this game if it looked sweeter.

Terra Mystica. I think it looks okay, but when I heard about it, it sounded so exciting. I was expecting the board to look a little more exciting. I guess, miniatures?

Dominant Species. Sort of nice looking components but I guess I was expecting some kind of meeples or just something more than cubes etc. For me, like Terra Mystica, the problem is more because it seemed like a really exciting theme and the actual components don't excite me.

Imperial Settlers. I hate this cartoony artwork. However, I dig the art and theme of 51st State, so problem solved.

Rialto. I wanted this game to remind me of beautiful Venice. It doesn't.

Tanto Cuore. I love Dominion and this is meant to be a good deck builder but the art and theme is a no for me.

Some of these are probably my loss. It bugs me, that some of these games are loved by people who also love some of my favourite games! I shall console myself by clanking my upgraded Lords of Waterdeep metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting Dungeon! for a while now, but just could not convince my husband- too cartoony for him on the newest edition.

Which is just silly, the games been around since 1975, and has had art like this in the past:

But it doesn't matter now, my brother-in-law bought it, and it's sitting on our game shelf right now! XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Anime

Same man, same. 'Cept Millennium Blades is just so awesome that I got past the anime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I once happened upon a table with a big SUPER DUNGEON EXPLORE poster. I had heard of the game so I stopped. I took one look at the minis and said "thanks, but that's not for me." Fastest book-by-its-cover judgement ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkwright - drab, drab, drab...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Kingdom Death: Monster. The depiction of women was just horrendous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexey Stepanov
msg tools
Tyrants of the Underdark. I was somewhet hyped for the game prior to release, but in the end the bland art and poor production values turned me off. At $50, I'm looking for something more visually pleasing than this

or this

More's the pity, as the game is, reportedly, all right. But I really couldn't pull the trigger, considering LoW was an eye candy at just over half the price. A shame they went with GF9 on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pile on the earlier nominations for "anime" but extend it to "chibi".

Just from its gameplay, Takenoko sounds like a nice filler that I could see myself playing with friends who aren't into more meaty strategy games. However, I'm not secure enough in my manhood to bring something to the table that looks like this:

If you're a designer with enough time on their hands to do a retheme, please give me a Dune version of Takenoko.

Panda --> Harvester
Gardener --> Sandworm
Emperor --> Emperor (duh)
Bambus --> Spice
Color tiles --> Faction territories (Atreides, Harkonnen, ...)
Weather --> Events (Sandstorm, Fremen ambush, ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cover art on Inis is so bad, I really don't even want to give it a chance. I know folks say it's "classic" celtic art, but it looks like a 6 year old drew it with crayons. The Celts were great at a lot of things, apparently art wasn't one of them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
A recent one for me is Santorini (2016 version). The cartoon figures on the box just give me indigestion. That alone is a deal breaker.

The game itself look better, I like the blue and white color scheme, except for sitting on that pointless island! What wasted space!

So, anyone else have a game's whose looked prevented them from buying it? (Show the art!)
Especially given the elegant look of its predecessor:

Pete (prefers the blue domes to the white ones, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Especially given the elegant look of its predecessor:

Pete (prefers the blue domes to the white ones, though)

To be fair, it's not until it got overproduced that anybody took notice of it, and the pic you included is by one of my PnP pals. Not standard production but a custom job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The cover art on Inis is so bad, I really don't even want to give it a chance. I know folks say it's "classic" celtic art, but it looks like a 6 year old drew it with crayons. The Celts were great at a lot of things, apparently art wasn't one of them...

I really like the art of Inis. It reminds me of the Book of Kells. I can understand how not everyone is going to like the style, but the art pushed this higher on my want list than Kemet or Cyclades.

I have a much harder time being interested in games where the art is incredibly bland, than a game that's art is stylized (potentially, to the point of being polarizing). I'd guess I'd rather hate the art, than be playing on a board that looks so bland it might as well be a spreadsheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I tried it at Essen despite the art. I wasn't very impressed by the game play either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben the sandwich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got into the hobby over 4(?) years ago, Glory to Rome was being sold cheap. Passed over it so many times due to the art. At this point, I'd love to own it, even with the terrible clipart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
<pic left out>
<pic left out>
<pic left out>

I was really eager to back this game when I found out Roxley was doing the Kickstarter for this nice abstract game. But the art (and the price) deterred me. I'll just grab some Lego bricks if I want to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't keep me from buying it (unfortunately) but it will keep me from getting any of the expansions, and honestly it keeps it from ever hitting the table. I abhor the "Munchkin" art in Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition), and will unload the game at first opportunity, hopefully to find an older edition.

yuk
I love the game, but for what is supposed to be a gritty, threaten-to-shoot-your-friends-in-the-face, Reservoir Dogs game, that is just baaaaaaad. Totally ruins the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kraftwagen

When I saw the box I was immediately interested because of the beautiful box art:

But then there was the board:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackmeeple wrote:

Food Chain Magnate. If it cost £35, maybe. But too many bucks for how it looks. A shame as I sense my wife would love this game if it looked sweeter.

Terra Mystica. I think it looks okay, but when I heard about it, it sounded so exciting. I was expecting the board to look a little more exciting. I guess, miniatures.

Hey I wanted to add those two awful looking games Especially Terra Mystice. Alright, the designer had found some nifty mechanics. Now please find something of a theme and make the action look a little logical according to this theme. And have some art representing this theme.

And Food chain magnate looks like they accidentally published a first prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ringo Stalin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a Legendary Encounters game before, but when I found out there was a Firefly-themed version, I decided I was going to finally give it a shot... and then I saw the artwork:

Did they scour deviantArt for the cheapest fan-art they could find??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
Sentinels of the Multiverse. Thematically my cup of tea, but I can't buy something with art like that. Hate the look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.