Popular Tags: [View All]
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb

The crushed insert in my new copy of the game didn't bother me, but I'm kinda bummed that 13 of my cards were damaged inside the shrink. One has part of the back scratched off and the other 12 suffered a gouge on the edge from the printer.

Yes, I'll contact the company and No, I don't plan to sleeve them. I just wanted to see if others have had this issue and warn folks before buying that it could happen to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust no one
badge
ümlaüt
mbmbmbmbmb
There were spots on the back of a few of my cards missing ink. I mailed them this morning but haven't heard anything back yet. I don't anticipate any trouble however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of one of my cards was scratched pretty badly.

I have not decided if I want to go through the trouble of asking for a replacement because 1.) I love the game, and don't plan to trade or sell it away and 2.) I am going to sleeve it, so I could just use opaque sleeves, since the backs are boring anyway and that would solve the marking problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had damage to my board due to the insert. Contacted them last week and haven't heard back either. I assume they were all tied up at Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
My insert looked like it had been attacked by a coyote, but luckily all the game components were in great shape. WTF happened with this game that everyone is getting these abused copies?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my cards were similarly damaged, and there was some white wear on the edges of the backs on some of the cards. The cards are pretty thin, and with black borders to the edges, the card edges show wear and mark easily. I immediately sleeved with opaque, black backed sleeves, so the pre-existing minor damage and expected wear will not be an issue for me. I probably would have sleeved anyhow given that I sleeve about 95% of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teis Jacobsen
Denmark
København K
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My insert is pretty badly damaged as well. Fortunately I have no damage to content. I wonder what happened to all these inserts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
replicat wrote:
My insert is pretty badly damaged as well. Fortunately I have no damage to content. I wonder what happened to all these inserts?

Cheap quality and not sturdy enough to support the weight of the component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers and publishers has said in several threads that they are sorry for having chosen a too thin insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha Peacock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My currency cubes (bronze/silver/gold) are in very poor shape! Apart from the damaged insert, the rest of my pieces are in decent enough condition (although the cards look like they could wear quickly), but the currency cubes, as gorgeous as they are, are just poorly finished - they are mostly scratched, have bits of glue on them, some were stuck together, some have the corners missing etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The damaged inserts are a known issue; unfortunately the majority of them showed at least some tearing upon unwrapping the box (mine does as well). The next print run of the game will have thicker cardboard for the inserts to rectify this.

Minor damage to cards should usually, if anything, be restricted to the top card of each of the two stacks, one of them being the blank card. The damage is apparently due to a manufacturing issue when cutting the rather big stacks. In my copy, the blank card did indeed have a visibly damaged back side (don't care about the blank card), other than that my cards look fine.

Well, the additional promo card has some slight scratching on the back too, don't know how Jacob transported it to Spiel. But you'd have to look closely to see it, especially with a card sleeve on.

Damage like seen in the picture by the OP seems definitely unusual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
orjanalmen wrote:
The designers and publishers has said in several threads that they are sorry for having chosen a too thin insert.

Are they sorry enough to make it right for those of us who preordered the game? I doubt it. We're stuck with a defective product and they're laughing all the way to the bank. The component quality is pathetic for the retail price of this game. This is my last Stronghold preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
Stinkfoot71 wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

Are they sorry enough to make it right for those of us who preordered the game? I doubt it. We're stuck with a defective product and they're laughing all the way to the bank. The component quality is pathetic for the retail price of this game. This is my last Stronghold preorder.

Outch! I hope most people understand that no publisher would intentionally sell games with defects on the components! This game was manufactured by LudoFact, the foremost game factory in Europe, and their technicians thought that the insert we designed would hold. Most of the miscolored cubes should have been spotted during production, if not, we have a human error here...

When a customers have issues there are no winners: Either the player ends up with a game he is not happy with, or the publisher loses all revenues from selling the game when paying for reserve parts and shipping. The margins are slim through the long chain from factory to customer.

And if you think that the boardgame industry creates any millionaires, you're unfortunately wrong. We develop games out of passion. Even if a lot of people buys Terraforming Mars, I will not be able to quit my other day-time job just yet... (unfortunately)
For Stephen at Stronghold, I can just say I admire the enormous work he puts into his publishings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stinkfoot71 wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

The primary functional purpose of a cardboard insert in a board game box is to ensure the structural integrity of the box during shipment and transit. I think publishers undercut themselves by making pretty inserts because that falsely signals to customers that the inserts are something that should be kept.

If it looks good, keep it. But if it is torn or damaged and the box and components are still in tact, the insert has done its job.

A damaged cardboard insert does not constitute a defective product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Fearnley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
EagleEye80 wrote:
Stinkfoot71 wrote:
orjanalmen wrote:

Outch! I hope most people understand that no publisher would intentionally sell games with defects on the components! This game was manufactured by LudoFact, the foremost game factory in Europe, and their technicians thought that the insert we designed would hold. Most of the miscolored cubes should have been spotted during production, if not, we have a human error here...

When a customers have issues there are no winners: Either the player ends up with a game he is not happy with, or the publisher loses all revenues from selling the game when paying for reserve parts and shipping. The margins are slim through the long chain from factory to customer.

And if you think that the boardgame industry creates any millionaires, you're unfortunately wrong. We develop games out of passion. Even if a lot of people buys Terraforming Mars, I will not be able to quit my other day-time job just yet... (unfortunately)
For Stephen at Stronghold, I can just say I admire the enormous work he puts into his publishings.

My insert was destroyed and some of my cubes were damaged, but seriously, everyone, the game is awesome. Just push those cubes to the back of the pile and enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it has been a week and no response from Stronghold, so I guess what you got is what you get. Anyone else ever successfully have them replace damaged parts?

(and for the record this is not about the box quality or insert, for me it was marked damaged cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eimative wrote:
Well it has been a week and no response from Stronghold, so I guess what you got is what you get. Anyone else ever successfully have them replace damaged parts?

(and for the record this is not about the box quality or insert, for me it was marked damaged cards)

No response yet to my support request either. I'll be following up in a few days at the 2-week mark if I still haven't heard back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is strange - Stronghold usually answers quickly. But maybe it is the time of the year which is crazy, and small publishers usually do no thave the staff to deal with things but have to do it themselves. So let me jump in:

Mike, I don't know how that could have happened. Can you tell me which cards are damaged? I have one of the two decks here and I wonder if I have the one you need. If yes, I can send you a replacement deck. If not, I still have some opened decks here which I opened to check the card paper so I should be able to send you at least replacements for the damaged cards, if not a full deck.

Sorry for the misproduction. That deck of cards should not have made its way into a game.

Cheers
Frank.
LUDO FACT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb
frank jaeger wrote:
Can you tell me which cards are damaged? I have one of the two decks here and I wonder if I have the one you need.

That is an incredibly kind offer on your part Frank, but I wouldn't want you to do that. Shipping overseas would be more than just me buying card sleeves. Even if Ludo Fact works with Stronghold, there is no reason for you to cover for them (though gamers take note of the good will they harbor). If Stronghold got around to it, great, if not, no biggie, the game is still playable (even with some marked cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,
don't worry - first Stronghold will come around, I amworking with him for a long time now and he is only behind due to Spiel and GTS Trade Show; secondly some cards are basically a letter which costs 3.70 Euro or 7 Euro to send by German mail, and with an "air mail" sticker it should be with you in a week or two. That is more than within acceptable parameters to give you flawless cards for your money. Send me your address as a PM and I'll get you the cards. They're lying on my dedk uselessly anyway until I will throw them away eventually. Do you want to have that on your conscience? So let me handle the issue.
Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike paul
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You have been hexed!
mbmbmbmbmb

My replacement cards arrived today from Ludo Fact and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again Frank for taking on the task of sending them to me from the other side of the world!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.