Subject: SPOILERS Prologue and first game impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I've been hungry for anything SeaFall related, so I figure I will write up my impressions here. This is a cross post from r/boardgames. I apologize in advance for any improperly formatted spoiler tags as I am posting from mobile.

Summary before spoilers: we played with a group of 5 players, each one focusing on a different aspect of the game. The prologue lasted 2 hours and the first game lasted 2.5 hours. I think the first game ended early due to me earning a ton of glory from milestones and getting 11 glory by turn 6 (before the first winter).

Overall, we really enjoyed the two games we played and are looking forward to playing again this Saturday.

Now for a full description including minor spoilers (I will only give information about the two milestones I completed to win).

During the prologue, we all explored island sites (since buying and selling isn't really viable with only 4 resource production sites). I got an early advantage by getting an event that awarded an upgrade for one of my ships, so I jumped ahead to 2 glory. Unfortunately, I got ambitious and tried to explore a site with defense 5 and sank the ship that I put the upgrade on, losing the upgrade and the glory. Eventually, 4 of us got to 3 glory and named our 4 islands, ending the game.

I asked my group if they wanted to immediately jump into the first real game and got a resounding "Yes!"

So, we reset and started the first game. I was tied for first, so I got the second most prominent rank, which means I got to act second to last.

I wanted to open the first box, so I mentally targeted the
Spoiler (click to reveal)

raid a site with defense 6 milestone. Unfortunately, none of us had explored the defence 6 sites on any islands, so I set out to explore first.
My competitors all went to the most explored islands and started buying and raiding all the goods off that island. I purchased an exploration advisor and proceeded to play it safe and explore a defense 5 site on the nearest island first. Out of the 5 dice I got, I rolled 5 successes, meaning my explore endeavor would have been successful on the 6 site if I hadn't decided to play it safe. Oh, well. On the plus side, I got 2 goods from the island for my endeavor: 1 spice, 1 iron.

I sailed back to my province and put the goods into my warehouse and used the spice to buy a +2 explore upgrade. I went back to the first island and explored the defense 6 site, rolling 7 dice and getting 5 successes. I took 1 damage, exhausting the upgrade I just bought, but claiming the
Explore the highest numbered site on an island
milestone, putting me at 6 glory.

I took my ships back to my province and watched as the player who specialized in raiding take a chance at raiding the 6 defense site I had just explored. Unfortunately, she failed and sunk one of her ships. Examining the board, I realized I could have decent chances of raiding the site and claiming the milestone before anyone else can. With the iron I had stockpiled earlier, I purchased a +1 raid upgrade (scoring my 7th glory) and ended my turn with both ships at home. The next turn, I realized there was an advisor that increases the raid stat (one of two remaining unpurchased advisors) and purchased him. I then sailed to the island and raided the 6 defense site with 4 successes (it was a dangerous site, but the advisor I had purchased allowed me to use fortune to turn that into 5 successes). I claimed the milestone which, along with the glory from raiding, brought me to 11 glory, winning the game (the only other player that could act before the end of the round was the one who had crippled her ship in the previous raid attempt).

The game ended with me at 11 glory, the next highest being at 4. I have a feeling I'm going to be the target of lots of raids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave P
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won in a very similar fashion HOWEVER we had kind of the opposite reaction - my gaming group was of the "meh" frame of mind.

I doubt this will see the table again anytime soon. Not that its BAD just a bit boring and with so many other games out there, we'll probably opt regularly to play something else...

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
tivowatcher wrote:
I won in a very similar fashion HOWEVER we had kind of the opposite reaction - my gaming group was of the "meh" frame of mind.

I doubt this will see the table again anytime soon. Not that its BAD just a bit boring and with so many other games out there, we'll probably opt regularly to play something else...

-Dave

And my group is 9 games in and want to play this game all of the time even with newer games competing for our attention.

Great writ up of your first game OP, you are in for an awesome ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.