Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where every player starts with 1 ship on the Whaling Board at 3 or 4 so you have to have the bank and the light house and the one that removes the Sea tokens and the one that lets you take up to 3 right Whales and put them in your HOLD/V Point area. That why everyone is already Whaling at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, although I feel it might take away the tension of getting to sea and positioning yourself strategically.

I'll subscribe and sea what you come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think you should start with $5 in goods and $5 and say the first play would start in the 3rd spot and the next would start and 2nd and the next would be in 1st and if a 4th player but last would be first on the 4th sea sea space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
enochwright wrote:
Sounds interesting, although I feel it might take away the tension of getting to sea and positioning yourself strategically.

I'll subscribe and sea what you come up with.

Heh, "sea". I sea what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
I also think you should start with $5 in goods and $5 and say the first play would start in the 3rd spot and the next would start and 2nd and the next would be in 1st and if a 4th player but last would be first on the 4th sea sea space

If you don't mind me asking, what is the reason for this variant?
Normally when I play, I launch 3 times, 2 out to 6, 1 out on turn 10, 11, or 12 to the 3 or 4 spot. Are you trying to get more whaling actions? You might run low on whale tokens if you over whale.

Startup like this?
1st player- 2
2nd player-3
3rd player-4
4th player-5
5th player-6
on whale track?

If so, I would want to go last to start every-time as that is a whale of an advantage!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no say you have a 3 player game everyone would start at out to sea 3
but the last play would be in first position.
reason was to see if already whaling would help some people that where having a hard time getting out whaling and that there would be Whaling earlier in the game. I my self try to get to whaling on the first turn but no later then the 3rd turn.

1st 2nd 3rd
0 sea
1 sea
2 sea
3 sea 3 2 1st player
4 sea
5 sea
6 sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Wright
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that is interesting.
Do you often launch on turn 1 or 2?
Normally I would say I launch on 3.

How many times do you launch? Number of whales caught?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ from Board Game Gumbo

Lafayette
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
www.boardgamegumbo.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have launched on turn one in every game, but rarely win. What do most people do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had at one time considered a setup where players could start with the ship already prepared by giving up, say, $3 of the starting goods. I didn't go with it because it would have added a lot of unique rules for setup, but I would be interested to see what effect that has on the start. And I'd especially be interested in how quickly whales run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
airlarry wrote:
I have launched on turn one in every game, but rarely win. What do most people do?

I frequently try to send out a ship early to the 3 or 4, collecting a few simple right whales while everyone else builds some useful buildings. Sending out much farther locks it up and costs a lot of resources early.
Sending out that early ship also encourages opponents to send ships out, so you can follow them and take advantage of the higher number of whales being drawn.
And depending on the setup, some of the expansion buildings, Ship's Log cards and promo tiles make it a more interesting and profitable proposition to go out early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had the building that lets you whale 2 tiles keeping 1 for one of your boats. That was a big help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
Where every player starts with 1 ship on the Whaling Board at 3 or 4 so you have to have the bank and the light house and the one that removes the Sea tokens and the one that lets you take up to 3 right Whales and put them in your HOLD/V Point area. That why everyone is already Whaling at the start of the game.

i'm unclear what you mean about the bank, tavern & tryworks. do you mean they have to be among the available buildings to build or that they are pre-built and distributed among players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
among the ones to build

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.