Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Quick first impressions from a session at Spiel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played an hour at Spiel at FFG's massive stand. They had three tables, yet there was a waiting list so the hype train has worked. The games were organized by what I assume were volunteers, and Stefan who guided a two-player session was very courteous and helpful.

I'm super hyped as an Eldritch Horror fan, and H.P. Lovecraft's works in general. Nevertheless, I didn't know much about the game other than skimming FFG's blog posts and a few threads here - I haven't read much, as I'm afraid of spoilers. So this probably covers little to no new ground for regulars.

Artwork is gorgeous as expected from FFG. Cards are well designed, although they rely quite a bit of iconography. Their purpose is mostly clear, especially if you've played Eldritch Horror, but some do need explanation.

The token bag is essentially another way to do dice, but the type and number of tokens you put in can be varied for an easier or harder game. Not sure if that's the intention, but that definitely works. As much as I like dice, I like this approach. It's quite punishing in its (what I assume) is the default state, as they go from (I think) +2 down to -4, and distribution of the tokens skewed towards the negative.

Many of the tropes are coming from Eldritch Horror, which is a good thing. The theme is even stronger thanks to the story, which is the main attraction here. We only got out of the first room and started exploring the building, but it was clear there is huge potential in building a proper story. Curious to see what is the quality of the writing - I was impressed by the little I saw at Spiel.

My only complaint is that I'm not sure why you need to use an action to equip an item, but no big deal after you know it. Just seems like an unnecessary complication and waste of an action.

Overall I was impressed, and although I was quite hyped going in, I'm still hyped and will certainly pick it up as soon as it's released! Oh, and I tried buying it at Spiel, but they said "no" no matter how many times I asked and pleaded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.